General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back trouble...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 05:06 AM
Acuestick1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back trouble...

I'm buying a Harley this fall and need advice from Hog veteran riders, to find out which model would be least painful or most comfortable to ride on a day to day basis. I'm not likely to take rides longer than half hour and I live in San Diego, so most, if not all of my riding would be between stop lights on short errand trips. I broke my back years ago, and it has caught up with me in a bad way and I walk with a cane and spend most of my time in bed. I'm getting my disability back pay shortly and want to gift myself a nice bike to enjoy as long as I can, while I still can. Any wisdom in this area would be valued and appreciated. About 12K is my budget. New or used doesn't matter to me... Thx guys!

Old 07-01-2015, 05:27 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Have you gone down to your local Harley dealership and sat on, and lifted them up right off the kick stands? I just saying with your bad back if your good with lifting them up right then you probably good to go. I personally think that the Heritage's are the most comfortable riding bikes. Used ones sell for between $8-12K all day long.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:41 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 602 Likes on 325 Posts

I have a bad back as well. Road King with a Mustang solo seat with a backrest being a Must.. Can sit for hours ..

Old 07-01-2015, 07:02 AM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

For 1/2 hour trips on the bike just about any seat will work, but make sure you get a back rest with it. Mustang or Corbin are both good seats and comfortable.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:45 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

I have a couple of herniated disc.

My experience is that a neutral riding position is a lot better than floorboards or forward controls, especially at highway speeds.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

As for your back problems - try being more active everyday even if it just forcing yourself out of bed on to the couch. It will help with pain tolerance and more importantly your mental well being when you look back at how much progress you made.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:50 AM
Bigfoot1
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a botched back surgery 2 years ago, still a limping mess mostly, my 98 Road King with a Mustang seat is the best. Without the rider backrest seems to work for me, the motorcycle with air ride is great.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:11 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,146 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Not so much the model of bike, but how you fit it to YOU.
Seat
Bars
Controls

Many people have their favorite brands of seats, I dig the Mustangs. I have a very bad back, lower disks all blown out, operations already and more to go. I have a Mustang Regal Duke Wide on my Shovel. Has a good vertical section behind my butt leading up to the passenger pillion...which acts like a backrest for me, without the uglies of a backrest. (see my sig pic)

LaPera is another seat that has loyal followers.

You may find a softail model is easier to swing your leg over, as their rear section (including the seat) is lower.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:20 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I was having issues with my Limited. I switched my bars to Helibars. They are completely adjustable. You install them, and adjust them until you find that perfect spot where nothing hurts.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:21 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Trike would be my suggestion with your condition. Would not be a good thing your back go out on two wheels.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:21 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

There are bad backs and there are bad backs. It would be impossible for me to tell you over the internet what would work for you versus what would work for me.

I've suffered with recurring sciatic pain from a degenerated lumber disc for several years. It sometimes hurts me to stand for long periods, but I find I can usually ride with no pain at all. My setup is a Heritage Softail with a Mustang wide solo seat (lots of lumbar support in that seat). My bars are traditional "dresser" bars-wide and not too high. In that position, my back is curved slightly forward and stretched out-relieving the pressure, so I can ride for hours without pain.

That works for me, but you can see how, not knowing your height, weight, nature of your back problems, I can't recommend anything other than describe what works for me. You have to find what works for you. Seats, handlebars, footpeg location can all play a part, and they can all be changed/adjusted to suit you.

Quick Reply: Back trouble...