General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to Harley

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 12:17 AM
brett86
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to Harley

hey guys, I am in the market to switch from sport bike to cruiser. my only problem is im unsure what I want and what would fit my needs. I was hoping for some suggestions. majority of the time i would be riding to and from work with some nice weekend riding. a few times a year i do plan on riding the coast from nc to florida. my question is if i were to get something like the lowrider how would a ride be for a 7 hour drive maybe with a windscreen? i also plan to ride with my wife most times on those long rides. i dont feel power would be an issue just thinking about comfort. so far i have test ridden lowrider, all the sportsters as well as the fat boy and i love the lowrider so far. i thought that maybe with a detatchable rear seat rest for my wife and windscreen i would be ok just not to sure. also would seem to be a pain in the *** for luggage. I do plan to buy new simply because i cant quite afford to buy a bike out right. i know some folks have feelings about not owning right away etc. but im divorced and most of my funds goto my children but want to get back on 2 wheels as we all know this feeling. thanks for help in advance.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:23 AM
Melroy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

welcome from Milwaukee

Old 02-09-2016, 01:45 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Welcome to the H-D Forums from Idaho ! ENJOY !

Old 02-09-2016, 04:31 AM
the wild hog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Welcome

Old 02-09-2016, 04:41 AM
JeepXK
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome! Been riding sport bikes since i was was 19 now i'm 47 and switched to a 2015 Breakout. The longest ride I've been on is 4hrs. I was very comfortable. My wife rides with me as well and had to buy a sundowner seat and detachable backrest for her. You won't lay into turns with it by any means but it does handle surprisingly well, just no ground clearance and scrapes easily. Good luck and enjoy your new laid back style of riding..... I know i am!

Old 02-09-2016, 05:00 AM
critter85
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,497 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Welcome to the Forum from Kansas! Just go to a dealership and sit on or test ride. Being comfortable is very important. If your lady is gonna ride with you make sure she is comfortable.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:57 AM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

A lot depends on how comfortable you are on a larger bike and what your budget is, too.

I bought a Street Glide since I thought my wife would be riding with me sometimes...and I was wrong. So I threw a Mustang solo and a backrest on it and I can do 800+ mile days without blinking. The SG is a great two-up bike, but maybe not the best for just putting around.

A Dyna might be an option, the Low Rider is a great bike - more of a standard cycle, not a glide, so you give up some of the touring capability but have a more tossable, fun bike.

If you want the best of both worlds, HD makes three 'convertible' type bikes, bikes with windshields and bags that are good long distance riders but you can strip them down for a cruiser type bike - the Switchback, the Heritage Softail, and the Road King. If none of those fit the bill or the budget, you can get pretty much any Dyna or Softail and set it up for long distance comfort.

Lots of choices, man - just hit the local dealer(s) and see what grabs you.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:52 AM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:54 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I have covered 800 miles in a day on more than one occasion on a 20 year old evo dyna that doesn't have nowhere near the creature comforts of the new low rider. It'll be fine.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:03 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 615 Likes on 384 Posts

Welcome to HDF.

A Low Rider with a detachable windshield will work great.

Quick Reply: new to Harley