Sponsored by:

Clattering noise on 2014 Limited.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 08:36 PM
Pmariner
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Clattering noise on 2014 Limited.

OK here goes. I traded my 2007 Heritage for a Limited back in late June. I recently started noticing a clattering noise coming from the engine. Very noticeable between 2500-3000 rpms. Called dealer and have an appt. Monday morning. Anyway I was talking to the Moco two weeks ago about the ESP, another story. They tell me that there are currently the 3 recalls on on the bike, clutch, brake line and filler neck for cooling system. Today I pulled the cover off where the fill bottle is to see if I can figure out what the recall would be for the cooling system. I noticed there's no coolant in the bottle. I know that there has not been any leaks. Now I'm starting to steam, for the simple reason that I had my 1k service done a month ago and that should have been checked. I'm now starting to wonder if the clattering noise is due to there not being any coolant in the system. There has been no indication of an overheat or excessive heat since I know that the cooling fans aren't kicking on very often. The clattering noise sounds like a bad lifter or valve going bad. Stupid me for not really checking the bike more carefully after purchasing it. Even found that things that should have been taken care of after the 1k service weren't done. A couple days before I went in for the service I checked the tire pressure. The front was down 5 lbs, rear was down 10 pds. Received bike back. Sure enough the tires were still down. Tech overfilled the crankcase Not too happy with dealer at this point. I hope the clattering noise is not something serious. This is why after the initial service I try to do all my own work. I wont mention names but the dealer handles the S/W Connecticut area. After this problem is solved needless to say I will be changing all the fluids since I' m not sure they were even changed. If anyone has any ideas what the clattering noise might be I'd certainly be interested in your comment. OK. Rant over. I'll keep you all posted on the outcome. Sorry for the long rant.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:02 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

This will help:

Aside from that, I highly doubt that the lack of coolant caused any "clattering".

If your tires are low, air them up. I don't disagree the tech should have done that.

But... that's why I don't pay the over-inflated dealer pricing for service, because the techs don't do what they should.

Some, most, or all dealers have at least one GREAT mechanic on staff....

Here's a secret... he ain't the one doing the oil changes. It's the first moron with a filter wrench that does the services.

Coolant jug empty?

That should be checked on a regular basis, just like your oil.

I'm not trying to flame, just pointing out what I see.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:10 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 69 Posts

coolant tank empty would not be a problem per se....an empty radiator would be.

Too much oil is another no no.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:03 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

From the start, they have said you can run these bikes with zero coolant, and be an air cooled engine.

Arguments can be made either way, but the fact is there is VERY little coolant actually in the heads, and the whole system is barely a shade over a quart.

Should it be run empty? No. But doing so for a short time isn't going to hurt anything.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:04 AM
ShaZAM
Intermediate
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2014 Ultra limited also, I had the same issue with the clattering between those RMPs. After talking with 3 different dealerships, long story short, the clattering is inherent in this bike and there is nothing to do for it at the dealership.

BUT! I changed my oil for the Syn 3 to AMS oil on the recommendation of a friend I was a little skeptical but tried it and it was AMAZING the difference. 90% of the clattering went away. I was also told that I could use Red-line oil and it might quite down a bit more. I might try that next time.

Good luck!