Sponsored by:

Quick review of Motorcyclemetal.com ohlins

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 12:19 AM
Joe S.
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quick review of Motorcyclemetal.com ohlins

I just bought my 3rd set of shocks from Motorcyclemetal.com and would like to pass along the experience.
The first 2 sets were Ohlins, one for an XR1200, the other for my '01 Dyna. This most recent set were Ohlins #2 for my 2014 Road King.
This shock is only preload adjustable and is set up internally by Howard based on the information you give him in terms of your weight and the bike, a very simple shock by comparison with some.
As usual the shocks arrived rapidly and were ready to mount. I mounted them on the RK with no real problems at all and did not tweak the preload settings.
First test ride I felt the shocks were set pretty stiffly, not uncomfortable but on the stiff side. I did some measurement and adjustment of the preload, backing it down a small amount. In my opinion it improved the ride and did not give up any controllability or induce any wobbling. I believe I will be leaving them on this setting for the time being, perhaps do some adjustment later if needed.
I think if a person has the money the higher end Ohlins are probably much better. I couldn't afford it at this point but feel that these shocks are a marked improvement and well worth the expense.
As always, Howard is an excellent person to deal with and comes through on his end. I believe you can buy with confidence from him.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:45 AM
pepe3rd1
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found Howard to be real informative, kept me laughing over half the time. Was really wondering if there was THAT much of a difference in ride from the 3's to 6's and even put up a post asking that ?. 149 views and no response. Looks like it's a faith based decision on my end.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:10 AM
Afdharley
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always said go big or go home. So my plan is for the #6, hopefully over the winter.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:34 PM
Joe S.
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the things I value aout dealing with Howard is that he can give extremely good advice on what kind of shock and features will really benefit a person.
If you notice people often ask on a forum if this or that shock works well or what people recommend. If you think about that for a moment most of the people on a forum have the experience of their stock shock and whatever they bought to replace it. In addition they may or may not have a lot of other experience with suspension. I fall in that category, I've bought several sets of replacement shocks for different bikes but I would never represent myself as someone to give advice on what is really goof and what isn't.
With Howard, he is one of the few people you run into who has actually ridden all the shocks he sells and understands how to set them up. That is extremely valuable to someone making a choice on what to buy. In addition he understands that people have budgets they have to live within and seems to take that into account in his recommendations. He is in business and he is there to sell his products but I believe he does it in a very honest manner.