Sponsored by:

2014 Ultra Limited: Softbrake Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 02:17 AM
Gone Bush
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2014 Ultra Limited: Softbrake Pedal

I have ordered and received a rear brake pedal from Softbrake. This morning I started the changeover but was stopped by the split pin on the cotter pin that connects the pedal to the brake cylinder plunger.

Accessibility is a shocker.

Has anyone changed their brake pedal and can give me advice on how they got to the split pin and removed it?

When I eventually get it out, I think I will replace it with the split pin on the outside. Far easier to get at.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:47 AM
nuages
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto.......just purchased a Soft Brake pedal.........Have had a good look at it................looks like the cylinder is going to have to be loosened a bit.............

Old 09-30-2014, 04:33 AM
Gone Bush
Cruiser

I removed the two bolts holding the brake cylinder in place but that still didn't allowed sufficient access to the split pin.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:30 AM
ACLazer
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

When I installed mine I just took out the 2 bolts holding the master cylinder, let it just hang there, and was able to get to it.

Got mine from Carl at Heel Guard, $150 and free shipping
http://www.heelguard.com/Product_Det...ctGroup=SB_ALL

Great guy !!

Last edited by ACLazer; 09-30-2014 at 05:33 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:36 AM
Gone Bush
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ACLazer
When I installed mine I just took out the 2 bolts holding the master cylinder, let it just hang there, and was able to get to it.

Got mine from Carl ay Heel Guard, $150 and free shipping
http://www.heelguard.com/Product_Det...ctGroup=SB_ALL

Thanks ACLazer,

when I remove those two bolts there is limited movement from the cylinder because the original pedal is still on its shaft. I can't get anymore movement/access to the split pin than that.

Surely I don't have to remove the heat shield on the exhaust? That seems to be stopping the pedal from sliding off its mounting bolt.

I'm stumped, at this stage.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:58 AM
eqcons
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Gone Bush
I have ordered and received a rear brake pedal from Softbrake. This morning I started the changeover but was stopped by the split pin on the cotter pin that connects the pedal to the brake cylinder plunger.

Accessibility is a shocker.

Has anyone changed their brake pedal and can give me advice on how they got to the split pin and removed it?

When I eventually get it out, I think I will replace it with the split pin on the outside. Far easier to get at.

Thanks in advance.
I did it on a friend's Limited. Took out the bolts that hold the Master Cylinder, and used a pair of long nosed pliers and a screwdriver. Wasn't a show stopper, though not easy to get to.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:03 AM
RDM
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used a pick with a hook at the tip. Turn the pin until you can get the pick into the split pin head and pull it out. Took a little effort but it came right out.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:32 AM
Rockgeezer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only removed the right footboard to get at it a little better. I didn't remove or loosen anything else and just used needle nose pliers on the cotter pin. Also used the needle nose to push it back in when reassembling it. Total time to do the deal was about 15 minutes and as we've discussed in tons of previous threads on this lever, it makes a world of difference for many of us dropping that angle by 20 degrees from the stock.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:37 AM
fmgsr
Road Master
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

Don't loosen the master cylinder, Step back, Wash up, go for coffee. Then get a tool like the dentist uses. Long thin like a pencil with hooked sharp points on both ends. Then have lunch. Then go back. You'll get it.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:41 PM
472viper
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

What is this "soft brake pedal" ye speak of ?

I have an Ultra Low on order and the ONLY thing I didn't like about my demo was that the brake pedal seemed at an odd angle.....that and the Reduced reach seat.

Quick Reply: 2014 Ultra Limited: Softbrake Pedal