Harley wind deflectors

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 08:22 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Harley wind deflectors

Hey Gang,

Well now that its getting cooler and I commute to work often I decided to order the the fork wind deflectors (fangs) considering they get such rave reviews (they're not especially attractive but functional).

Anyway instructions suggest on Road King (which I have a 14) may have to move passing lamps to front slot and sure enough I do as there's no clearance to install them if not. So the simple 4 bolt,10 min. job just got bigger.

I didn't delve into it much last night since I needed to drive it to work today but the short of it is ya have to drop the signals down (which the inner hex screw is a very tight on clearance to reach) so I did and low an behold the hollow bolt the wires run through takes a "special" $48 + shipping flare socket to clear wires and get up in there (really, who designs this stuff).

So my question is since I wont have time to tinker with it again until the weekend, has anyone found that the wires can be easily disconnected, pulled through bolt and a regular socket used? I have the service manual (its not covered explicitly) and google searches suggest most buy the socket or make one by notching a regular one. This is one silly dilemma to install a $78 part.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:39 AM
RK_Ming
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought the OEM fangs the other day, haven't had time to go install em yet, but let me know what you come up with. I thought you just remove the nacelle bracket, line up the fangs, and put the nacelle back on...

Old 10-02-2014, 08:50 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior

Hey RK_Ming, It should be that easy and would be if the passing lamps were in forward slot but mine are in the rear most slot on the signal bar.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/app-c...ts/-J05520.PDF

Its just time consuming this way and I'm not fond of special tools you only use once

Old 10-02-2014, 09:39 AM
jmn1960
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

don't have a 14 but on my 05 I took a deep9/16 socket and cut a 1/2 slot out of if with a dremmel and it worked just fine,, sockets are cheap at harbor frght

Old 10-03-2014, 08:45 AM
RK_Ming
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by capttawes
Hey RK_Ming, It should be that easy and would be if the passing lamps were in forward slot but mine are in the rear most slot on the signal bar.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/app-c...ts/-J05520.PDF

Its just time consuming this way and I'm not fond of special tools you only use once

Yeah, now I understand, after I posted this, I went to install the fangs before I rode to work yesterday. Removed the nacelle, put the fang on the fork leg, then the nacelle would not go back on... Looked at what was causing the clearance issue, and damn it, the passing lamps are causing the clearance, so I had to put the fangs away, bolt up the nacelle again, and head to work. I'll tackle it when I have time to get a deep socket 9/16's and have an hour to kill.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:10 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior

I'll probably grind a deep 9/16 this weekend but I still think it would be easier if wires removed since there's not much slack to avoid pinching or chaffing.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:14 AM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RK_Ming
Yeah, now I understand, after I posted this, I went to install the fangs before I rode to work yesterday. Removed the nacelle, put the fang on the fork leg, then the nacelle would not go back on... Looked at what was causing the clearance issue, and damn it, the passing lamps are causing the clearance, so I had to put the fangs away, bolt up the nacelle again, and head to work. I'll tackle it when I have time to get a deep socket 9/16's and have an hour to kill.
Man, you can install the JES deflectors with an 8" creasent in less than 15 min. 😳

Last edited by Gwaxley; 10-03-2014 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Add to
Old 10-03-2014, 09:23 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

What are you guys doing? HD fangs on my 2014 Road King, remove two acorn nuts on each side and put the fangs on, put the nuts back on.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:48 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior

Hey Sixguns,

I'm guessing then that your passing lamps/signals are already in the foremost slot on the bar. Checkout the base of your lamps and you'll see the there are 2 positions they can go in and if in rear the fangs wont fit until they're moved fwd. such is my case.

The JES models may fit fine but I didnt care for their look or being $135 vs. my $78 HD deflectors that will probably come off in summer.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:00 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Mine are in the rear position. the HD fangs fit fine on my bike with enough space for a rag to fit between the fangs and lamps, the fangs are all the way back in their mounting slot. Weird!

Quick Reply: Harley wind deflectors