Sponsored by:

Cat removal Exhaust change ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 11:47 AM
jim0249
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat removal Exhaust change ???

Just got my new Street Glide and already am hearing that I should remove the Cat and install aftermarket exhaust.
Frankly, after one 150 mile ride last weekend I found the bike had all the power I was looking for and that the stock exhaust note was ok by me, not too loud or too quiet
That said, should I have the Cat removed? and if so, is there aftermarket exhaust that would not be too much louder than stock?

opinions please?

Old 10-03-2014, 11:58 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

If you like it as it is, why do anything different???

If you WANT to change, you will need, IMHO, more that "just pipes".

The FIRST change you should make toward a stage 1 is a tuner.

But if you're perfectly happy, don't waste the money!

Old 10-03-2014, 12:05 PM
razorsedge
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too liked the sound and the power of my stock 14 SGS. However, the first time I rode it and it was 90* outside and I was in traffic, I could feel the cat cooking my right leg. The difference in heat reduction from removing the cat is huge!

Old 10-03-2014, 01:29 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,829 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by jim0249
Just got my new Street Glide and already am hearing that I should remove the Cat and install aftermarket exhaust.
Frankly, after one 150 mile ride last weekend I found the bike had all the power I was looking for and that the stock exhaust note was ok by me, not too loud or too quiet
That said, should I have the Cat removed? and if so, is there aftermarket exhaust that would not be too much louder than stock?

opinions please?
After 4,200 miles and before Winter gets here I just ordered the FL-ViED-10 from Nightrider to add fuel and a Jackpot 2/1/2 SPC head pipe from Fuel Moto to get rid of the Cat. I like the power and sound of my bike and don't want to change it by much right now so this is the (best) least expensive solution for me. This will keep the stock mufflers and stock air cleaner. I'll start a new thread when the parts get here and I get them installed. I'm just going to do a seat of my pants performance review, no dyno tune. I forsee less heat and a bit more performance, only down side is more exhaust fumes without the Cat.

Mike

Old 10-03-2014, 03:27 PM
dvn4life
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
If you like it as it is, why do anything different???

If you WANT to change, you will need, IMHO, more that "just pipes".

The FIRST change you should make toward a stage 1 is a tuner.

But if you're perfectly happy, don't waste the money!
That.

Old 10-03-2014, 04:23 PM
Padre
Club Member

Received 1,221 Likes on 526 Posts

It was the heat that got me to consider taking out the cats. Safetyman pointed me in the right direction with the Rush ecofriendly straight pipe. See this thread.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:15 AM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
After 4,200 miles and before Winter gets here I just ordered the FL-ViED-10 from Nightrider to add fuel and a Jackpot 2/1/2 SPC head pipe from Fuel Moto to get rid of the Cat. I like the power and sound of my bike and don't want to change it by much right now so this is the (best) least expensive solution for me. This will keep the stock mufflers and stock air cleaner. I'll start a new thread when the parts get here and I get them installed. I'm just going to do a seat of my pants performance review, no dyno tune. I forsee less heat and a bit more performance, only down side is more exhaust fumes without the Cat.

Mike
You will be surprised at how much louder it will be with stock mufflers.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:29 AM
rheology1
Advanced

If you're happy with the power and sound leave it in. It will be significantly louder if you remove it.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:37 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,829 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by rheology1
If you're happy with the power and sound leave it in. It will be significantly louder if you remove it.
I am OK with the note of the stock mufflers and I can put up with more volume, I'm just not a fan of the low rumble mufflers they put on bikes now.
My main reason for doing this is to get rid of the heat on the right side of the bike.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:19 PM
rheology1
Advanced

For heat issue I would switch to synthetic fluids at 500mi service. The the first thing I did was switch to Amsoil synthetic throughout and the heat reduction was significant. I'm sure any of the major brands will have a similar effect. The next step IMO is add a tuner. See how you like it then go from there. JMO

Quick Reply: Cat removal Exhaust change ???