2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can slip ons alone cause a bike to run rich ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 07:02 AM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Can slip ons alone cause a bike to run rich ?

Traded my 14 Limited for a 14 TriGlide because of a bad knee. The Triglide has about 4k miles and has some aftermarket slip ons that don't appear to have much of a baffle to them. There is no name on them and they are LOUD. they have a couple of bolts holding the baffles in and a bar running through the center opening, I guess to keep cops from sticking their baton up there to see if its straight pipes. Yes they are that loud. Stock air cleaner.

when originally started, I get a gas smell of unburned fuel until the bike warms up. After warmed up, the bike runs great but has some decal popping on occasion. I know I need to put a tuner on and Jamie will be getting an order in about a month , as soon as I get over the initial cost of taxes, tag and so on.

Now the question....Could these pipes with little or no baffle be causing this decal pop and the gas smell initially? Could they make it run richer because of no backpressure? I have Fatshotz and Stockers that I can put on. Just wanted to know what you guys thought.

Thanks

Steve

Old 10-24-2014, 07:13 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

They will cause it to run lean, which is more likely the cause of your description.

There are some aftermarket mufflers that meet your description, RUSH is one. The bar is there so the baffles can be removed and changed, something to get hold of.

If it has stock headpipes, there is a chance you are running 3" baffles, which are louder, and recommended from the manufacturer.

And if there is no tuner, I would recommend putting the stock mufflers on, that should solve most of your issues....

Old 10-24-2014, 09:06 AM
spider14043
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That bar running across the opening of the baffle is what used to be referred to as a torque bolt. Believe it or not, that bolt creates back pressure and increases torque. I manually installed something similar in my Reinharts and immediately noticed increased torque.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:37 AM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks guys,

Chip, I am taking your long standing advice and ordering a tuner, even though it has the stock A/C. I will be putting either the stockers or the Fatshotz on. I didn't have any problem on my Limited with the Fatshotz but definitely need a tuner.

Steve

Old 10-24-2014, 11:40 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I would lose the cats as well. I don't recommend "decatting" the stock pipe, but that's better than not.

There are tons of options out there, and a wide array of price tags, starting around $250 and running up to the $600 range for most aftermarket headers.

I'm not perfect, and definitely not an expert... just a common sense type guy.

I'm learning more and more, and the more I learn, running a tuner with the cat sounds more like a bad idea.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:40 PM
CBRTRX
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Sound is very subjective but if its as loud as you say it is I would see if it still has the cat in the head pipe. These bikes are pretty quiet even with aftermarket mufflers unless the cat is removed, just something to think about considering you say it has a fuel smell on start up.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:53 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by spider14043
That bar running across the opening of the baffle is what used to be referred to as a torque bolt. Believe it or not, that bolt creates back pressure and increases torque. I manually installed something similar in my Reinharts and immediately noticed increased torque.
This is correct, not a well known fact.