Sponsored by:

Triple two ride review on 14 Limited

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 03:38 PM
Candubrain
Road Captain
Received 152 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 64deville
Candubrain you didn't happen to take any pictures of the Baker Shields installed on your bike. I have been thinking of trying them but was also concerned of how they will look
No I did not. You remove your gas tank bolts at the front and a stainless steel stud goes in its place, along with 2 jam nuts. The bracket for the shield goes on the stud and butts up against the jam nut, then a plastic acorn nut holds it in place, providing enough friction, but loose enough to adjust the wing as required.

2 things I didn't like, I don't believe the SS stud has the same shear strength as the factory bolt, (remember the 09 recalls).
I also felt that going down the highway in the open position the back end of the shield wouldn't rattle against the front of the tank. I never test road, it's just my observation.

When I went to remove the studs, one of them picked up on the threads and seized. I'm a millwright and luckily had all the tools at home to remove the stud, but not without destroying it.

If they could mount some way to the lowers instead of the fuel tank mount I would have probably kept them

Old 10-25-2014, 03:52 PM
Candubrain
Road Captain

here are the photos, not good ones, but it'll give you an idea

Old 10-25-2014, 06:01 PM
biglew55
Road Captain

Received 435 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Candubrain
-the LED lighting at night in the rain is terrible. I was past Charleston WV at 8:00pm in the rain, and had to turn around and get a room for the night. I couldn't see a thing, I think the older warmer coloured halogen bulbs do a better job on a rainy night. My apology to the people driving on 77 last tuesday night, I was that menace on the road.
One thing I noticed on my 2015 FLHTK is that it came from the factory with the headlight pointed at my toes! Horrific adventure the first night I got caught out after dark! To adjust it, I had to screw the top adjustment all the way in, AND back out the bottom 2 a bit. It seems to help, but I haven't ridden much at night since. Maybe you already checked this, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

The procedure for adjustment is in the owner's manual. It say not to remove the trim ring, but do yourself a favor and scratch that out!

Old 10-25-2014, 06:26 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

They are out of Cresent City FL, owner is Mark. I'll try and get some pics up later this week. Basically Mark makes note of your height and weight along with your passenger and makes the seat to fit. For me, my problem was not enough hamstring support, resulting in the famous butt burn. All the manufacturers out there that make a seat for a tall man continue to narrow the nose so it's easier to plant your feet. This is where us tall guys loose the hamstring support. GUESS WHAT MANUFACTURERS, IF YOUR TALL YOU WON'T HAVE TROUBLE PUTTING YOUR FEET DOWN!!!!

When I first got it I felt like I was up on the 2nd floor, I'm 6'6" and my wife 6'1". But I got accustomed to it and have no problem running the cones, (I don't do competition)

2 days to get to Florida, 12 hrs each day, no bum burn or squirming, same for the return. He pours his own foam.

I'll be straight up, they are not as pretty as a Corbin or Mustang, but I went through 8 seats on my 2010 Limited before I had the Hartco made.

It was about $900.00 US with backrest and pouch shipped to Canada
Had you tried the Russell Day Long? I just wonder how they compare. Russell builds to fit with their own foam machine. I think your saddle looks as good or better than Russell, I am more concerned with comfort.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:47 PM
Candubrain
Road Captain

Originally Posted by scottt
Had you tried the Russell Day Long? I just wonder how they compare. Russell builds to fit with their own foam machine. I think your saddle looks as good or better than Russell, I am more concerned with comfort.
No I haven't tried a Russell, but heard nothing but good about their seats. The only thing I don't like about them is your use your stock pan and a HD backrest and mount. I'm not crazy about the HD backrests.

Comfort wise I have no complaints, best seat I've owned.

Tried the following on my 2010 Limited, all had the same problem with butt burn, the Mustang was the worst, Hammock was the best but got mushy after one season of use.

-Saddlemen Road Sofa
-Mustang Super Touring Vintage
-Corbin....used off Kijijii
-HD tallboy
-3 different Ultimate Seats; 1 pce tall boy, 2 pce tall boy, and 1pce normal seat
-HD Hammock

Old 10-25-2014, 06:48 PM
Candubrain
Road Captain

Originally Posted by biglew55
One thing I noticed on my 2015 FLHTK is that it came from the factory with the headlight pointed at my toes! Horrific adventure the first night I got caught out after dark! To adjust it, I had to screw the top adjustment all the way in, AND back out the bottom 2 a bit. It seems to help, but I haven't ridden much at night since. Maybe you already checked this, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

The procedure for adjustment is in the owner's manual. It say not to remove the trim ring, but do yourself a favor and scratch that out!
No I haven't, but going down the road on a clear night the lighting pattern looks good from the main and spots

Old 10-25-2014, 06:49 PM
Candubrain
Road Captain

Originally Posted by scottt

One other thing, when looking at the photos, you'll see how much wider the nose is and in doing so offers more support for the hamstrings

Old 10-26-2014, 06:49 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

No I haven't tried a Russell, but heard nothing but good about their seats. The only thing I don't like about them is your use your stock pan and a HD backrest and mount. I'm not crazy about the HD backrests.

Comfort wise I have no complaints, best seat I've owned.

Tried the following on my 2010 Limited, all had the same problem with butt burn, the Mustang was the worst, Hammock was the best but got mushy after one season of use.

-Saddlemen Road Sofa
-Mustang Super Touring Vintage
-Corbin....used off Kijijii
-HD tallboy
-3 different Ultimate Seats; 1 pce tall boy, 2 pce tall boy, and 1pce normal seat
-HD Hammock
I really appreciate your feedback. I will be ordering a Russell this winter. Their ordering requirements have slowed me down. They require photos taken of me and the wife on the bike in our riding position, filling out our personal specs, boxing up my original seat, sending off and then waiting a couple ( ? ) weeks for the new seat to arrive. The positive's that sold me are the available full leather option and build quality. Along with Russell's steller reputation for comfort. Function over style.