Sponsored by:

EITMS active below 80

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 08:44 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 03Custom883
Do you think this system in the long run harm the engine by only running one cylinder?
IIRC some '08's had it, and the '09 touring family had it where the rider could enable it.

I haven't heard of a single problem caused by it in the last 7 years.

My RAM shuts down 4 cylinders at highway speeds, so I doubt a Harley will do any harm at idle.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:06 PM
Howler_LI
Road Captain
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Went Christmas shopping, got caught in traffic jam, waited for stopped school bus, had to circle to find a parking spot at the mall. I figured it was getting hot so I let it idle while I took the helmet off & saw this. 28 degrees below the ambient air temp threshold and the EITMS kicked in. The bike is 8 months old with 13,200 miles, totally stock and runs great.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:29 PM
joenash
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temperature

I have read this issue on here before I was just thinking of trying to take a picture of mine cause it has also activated in the 60's, that is a good pic 52 and active, heat is an issue cause it is an air cooled motor,
I would rather have it come on when the engine is hot, not air temp cause engine heat is a problem and unless you are moving the motor is not getting cool air across it , I just wonder though did Harley do for rider comfort or to protect the motor? I can say it does seem a little more comfortable in stop and go traffic, especially when stopped. I mean if it was meant for engine temperature what difference would it make witch cylinder was shut off why not turn off the front cylinder or since it is run by computer shut off the front for a minute then the rear switch back and forth ? after all it don't turn on unless the motor is running for four minutes or more.
I think they do it for rider comfort.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:25 AM
Howler_LI
Road Captain

I've seen lots of conjecture as to why, but it's just that; conjecture. Only H-D can say for sure. And you might get a different answer depending on where you ask, engineering vs sales.

My guess is it actives when the engine is hot to reduce new heat generated, but activates at 80 ambient for both reasons (rider comfort & heat reduction).

The rear cylinder was chosen because it is less open to ambient air. Another guess

Old 12-19-2014, 11:48 AM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 273 Likes on 202 Posts

The rear cyl runs the hottest, yes because of less exposure to ambient air plus the heat off of the front cyl preheating some of the air before it reaches the rear cyl. When the the ECM shuts down the rear cyl, the front cyl has to compensate for the increased load that the rear was providing by increasing air and fuel to the front to keep the RPMs at the proper speed at idle. So the rear one is the only one that would benefit by shutting down. If the front was to be cut off, it would only make matters worse. My opinion is that cutting off the rear cylinder is primarily for rider comfort and engine temp as a secondary benefit.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:57 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Howler_LI
I've seen lots of conjecture as to why, but it's just that; conjecture. Only H-D can say for sure. And you might get a different answer depending on where you ask, engineering vs sales.

My guess is it actives when the engine is hot to reduce new heat generated, but activates at 80 ambient for both reasons (rider comfort & heat reduction).

The rear cylinder was chosen because it is less open to ambient air. Another guess
I concur.

....but still baffled.

I'm the first to admit I don't know everything, or much, for that matter. I'm a common sense guy, and take the manufacturer at par, until proven otherwise.

You, Sir, have proven what the mfgr put out to be wrong.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:12 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I know the base map for my FHLX has changed at least twice. When I plug in my SEPST it will tell you if the base map is out of date and needs to be updated. Twice I have had to copy all my tuning data over to the new base map and load it. Of course you can't see the changes that were made in the base map because the changes are hidden changes. It could be that HD has changed the parameters and those of us that have updated our base maps have the new parameters and those that are stock or haven't updated the base map have the old settings.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:43 AM
Howler_LI
Road Captain

Webo, if you meant to post that in response to eitms-active-below-80 please explain the relationship between base map & EITMS. Cuz it went way over my head.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:51 AM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Webo
I know the base map for my FHLX has changed at least twice. When I plug in my SEPST it will tell you if the base map is out of date and needs to be updated. Twice I have had to copy all my tuning data over to the new base map and load it. Of course you can't see the changes that were made in the base map because the changes are hidden changes. It could be that HD has changed the parameters and those of us that have updated our base maps have the new parameters and those that are stock or haven't updated the base map have the old settings.
When I had my 10K service done in September they downloaded an update to my ECM. I'm thinking the update probably included new perimeters for the EITMS.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:16 AM
joenash
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updates ?

Originally Posted by Greg2012FLHTK
When I had my 10K service done in September they downloaded an update to my ECM. I'm thinking the update probably included new perimeters for the EITMS.
Hmmm This could bring another question or another thread.
What if you are like a lot of guys and do your own service.
could you bring your bike in for an update, for free ?

I know some dealers will flash your bcm so the spot lights will stay on when the high beams are on, at no charge. when you buy the harley boom audio amp harley gives you the software update free, But you have to pay the dealer the labor.
I guess if it was an emissions or safety thing harley would send you a letter.
I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it.
When I brought my bike in for the 1K service my dealer said they would check for updates, how would you know, bike still runs the same, I do know one thing that when it is cold 60 or less the bike hates the cold till the motor warms up.

Quick Reply: EITMS active below 80