Sponsored by:

8" "Ape" Bagger Bars....anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 10:12 AM
Tourinon
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8" "Ape" Bagger Bars....anyone?

Have a 2015 SGS. I know there isn't much "ape" in these bars, but has anyone tried the 8" height? I want a slightly different hand position, I want to keep my hands behind the fairing and keep the integrated mirrors. I was thinking about 10", but they would interfere with the mirrors. LA Choppers makes one that might be the ticket.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:49 AM
GCSuper
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out Todds Cycle 8" bagger bars specifically made for the 14 models and heated grips. I was unsure of which bar, 8 or 10's to put on my Limited. Just received the 8's yesterday. Love the hand position/angle, but they're not much higher than stock, maybe an inch or so. I've pretty much decided to go with the 10's, so I'll either sell the 8's which are black or return them. They're still in the plastic wrap, never took it off.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:33 PM
REGGAEX
Advanced
Default 8" ape hangers

just installed la choppers 8" twin peaks just right for me.

Attached Thumbnails 8" "Ape" Bagger Bars....anyone?-6m8a1470.jpg  
Old 10-30-2014, 04:15 PM
Tourinon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by REGGAEX
just installed la choppers 8" twin peaks just right for me.
Thanks for the pic. Those are exactly what I was looking at. It is nice to see them on the bike. That looks perfect!

Old 10-30-2014, 05:07 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Tourinon
Thanks for the pic. Those are exactly what I was looking at. It is nice to see them on the bike. That looks perfect!

Yes that looks nice, they should look at home on a limited also. Thanks for that, I think the bars have jumped a few spots up the list. :-)

Old 10-30-2014, 05:54 PM
sixshooter
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm a firm believer that the closer to level with your shoulders you get your hands, the more comfortable you'll be. An inch or two higher than stock seems like a waste of time and money, IMO. Have you guys sat on or rode any similar bikes with 10's or 12's or higher? Most people pass up true apes because they think they look stupid, but I've changed a lot of minds on how nice they really feel by letting people ride my aped bikes.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:25 PM
Tourinon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sixshooter
I'm a firm believer that the closer to level with your shoulders you get your hands, the more comfortable you'll be. An inch or two higher than stock seems like a waste of time and money, IMO. Have you guys sat on or rode any similar bikes with 10's or 12's or higher? Most people pass up true apes because they think they look stupid, but I've changed a lot of minds on how nice they really feel by letting people ride my aped bikes.
I actually like the look of apes, especially on the SGS. I came from a Softail Deluxe with pulled back beach bars and found that hand position very comfortable. I have been on a bike with 12" apes and it is extremely comfortable. My main concern is keeping my hands behind the fairing. I may just go with the 10's and put bar mounted mirrors on.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:41 PM
sixshooter
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tourinon
I actually like the look of apes, especially on the SGS. I came from a Softail Deluxe with pulled back beach bars and found that hand position very comfortable. I have been on a bike with 12" apes and it is extremely comfortable. My main concern is keeping my hands behind the fairing. I may just go with the 10's and put bar mounted mirrors on.
I've never been able to do the beach bar thing. Any low handlebar always feels like my back is doing the work to keep me upright instead of my arms like when I'm "hanging" off apes. That's the one downfall with apes on a street glide, 10's and up and your mirrors are worthless. I'm gonna do bar mirrors when I go 16's this winter. As far as keeping your hands behind the faring, just buy thicker gloves haha

Old 10-30-2014, 08:53 PM
HARLEY100TH
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Love the look of those bars Raggaex. Did you install them yourself?

Old 10-31-2014, 02:15 AM
REGGAEX
Advanced
Default 8" ape hangers

Originally Posted by HARLEY100TH
Love the look of those bars Raggaex. Did you install them yourself?
Yes i did its not that bad to do there is a member that did a complete install with pictures great instructions.bpd138 which i thank made it so much easier to do.

Quick Reply: 8" "Ape" Bagger Bars....anyone?