Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear turn signal swap

Old 11-28-2014, 09:42 AM
cathead
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rear turn signal swap

Well I am ready to trade in the 06 RK on a new one. One thing I would like to do on the new bike is change out the "2x4" rear turn signal bar in favor of the bullet style as seen on the Street Glide. Has anyone attempted this, and will it mount up without drilling any holes in the new fender? I know the older bullet style that I currently have on the 06 won't fit the new fender - oh well!

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:21 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If you mean replacing the single taillight with a current street glide type - that will leave a BIG rectangular hole in the fender.

If you mean ADDING the bullet lights to get the old (2009 and earlier) SG style 3 light setup.........it can be done but not cheaply. In 2014 the UC and LTD model fenders lost the indentations and holes needed for the fender mounted lights and only had tour pak signals. It's still possible to install that type or signal setup but to do so you have to replace the rear fender with a 2013 and earlier fender which is the same as a 2014 FLHTP police model. I put one on mine, all plug and play with the lights - just plug into the taillight as before.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:31 PM
cathead
Tourer

Don't want to replace the taillight - just the turn signal bar. I'm hoping the StreetGlide turn signal bar will match the mounting holes in the Road King fender once the Road King turn signal bar is removed.

I'll have to take a closer look next time I'm at the dealer - tomorrow being Test Ride Day!

Old 11-28-2014, 01:50 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member

missed where you said Road King - in that case, yes, the holes are there and the bullet lights bolt right up. The current street glide lamps will physically fit but the plug is different (single plug) so you don't want that. Any of the ones with two plugs will work, make sure to get one with a plate light unless you remove the one in the stock RK bar

Old 11-28-2014, 02:22 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by cathead
Well I am ready to trade in the 06 RK on a new one. One thing I would like to do on the new bike is change out the "2x4" rear turn signal bar in favor of the bullet style as seen on the Street Glide. Has anyone attempted this, and will it mount up without drilling any holes in the new fender? I know the older bullet style that I currently have on the 06 won't fit the new fender - oh well! Thanks in advance.
Simple. Just get the 2015 CVO Limited taillight/signal assembly. The RK has the "dimples" in the rear fender like the CVO has. The standard Limited and UC don't.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 11-28-2014, 02:52 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member

I wouldn't order the CVO part, it costs more than the others and all you get for it is smoked lenses and a cheap reflector bolted where the plate light goes. Don't ask how I know this.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:30 PM
cathead
Tourer

That's what I was hoping to hear - thanks everyone for the helpful answers. Doesn't sound like I'm the only one who doesn't like the "2x4"!

Old 11-28-2014, 04:42 PM
cathead
Tourer

I'll also be plugging in my brake/turn module from the 06 for more brake lighting, so I've got the red lenses for that anyway. On the CVO part, since they put a red reflector below it where does the plate go?

Old 11-28-2014, 04:55 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by cathead
I'll also be plugging in my brake/turn module from the 06 for more brake lighting, so I've got the red lenses for that anyway. On the CVO part, since they put a red reflector below it where does the plate go?
Don't just assume any kind of brake/run/turn module you've got from the 06 will work on the 2015. The 2015 touring bikes are all CANBUS now. Most add ons of that nature have to be specifically designed to work with CANBUS.

On the CVO rear light. I lead you a bit wrong there. I forgot that the plate is mounted to the Tourpak on the CVO, so that plate mount area is different. The crux of the matter is that you have the same rear fender with the dimples to mount that type of light bar easily. I've got a standard Limited and haven't been able to use any of those type of add ons.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:03 PM
cathead
Tourer

Don't just assume any kind of brake/run/turn module you've got from the 06 will work on the 2015. The 2015 touring bikes are all CANBUS now. Most add ons of that nature have to be specifically designed to work with CANBUS.

Thanks offthewall, or should I say dang it! I'll check with Biketronics to see if the module will work, or if they make one that will.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear turn signal swap