Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That darn FOB!

Old 12-17-2014, 10:16 PM
joenash
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default security

I wish you could just disable the security.

I bet you can it is an option , but I would not want to. not every time I lock the key lock on the steering head sometimes I might be running into the store or post office for a minute and it is nice to not have to take the keys out of my pocket every time.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:18 PM
joenash
Cruiser
Default key

Originally Posted by santajim
Did the same thing yesterday. Went to the dealer then realized I didn't have the key glad I know the code and how to get it.
See its a good thing it has a code.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:23 PM
joenash
Cruiser
Default fob

Originally Posted by mistersandman202
I was heading out to meet some buddies for a nice long ride last weekend. Threw on my jacket, backed the scooter out of the garage, cranked her up, & off I went. Ten miles down the road I stopped to fill'er up. When I went to crank her back up I turned the switch, hit the button... nothing happened. The all of a sudden the lights start flashing & the alarm starts screaming like a banshee. Everybody's staring. I'm patting all my pockets looking for that darn FOB. I'm embarrassed... hoping a cop doesn't pull in! Then it dawns on me... I wore my other jacket on my last ride! That darn FOB is in the other jacket hanging in my garage!!!! So I had to leave my bike at the pump... Beg the old Mexican guy laughing at me to give me a ride to the house. I paid for his fill-up & he took me to get the darn FOB!! Lesson learned... The security system only works as a deterrent if the darn FOB is nowhere nearby, and once started it will run as long as you (or the thief) doesn't turn off the ignition. Who knew?
I am not sure cause I have not tried this but I thought if you drive off without the Fob , a light or the security light or something flashes or blinks on the dash, or the milage indicator says no fob.???? I think

Old 12-17-2014, 10:33 PM
joenash
Cruiser
Default code

Originally Posted by LKHA
Yes but less than 10 seconds and roll
Wow you must be good at that, I tried that just to know how to do it in case I ever get stuck with a dead fob battery but it was kinda pain in the *** , press the left turn signal then the right then the left......I just keep a good battery in the fob.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:49 PM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by joenash
I am not sure cause I have not tried this but I thought if you drive off without the Fob , a light or the security light or something flashes or blinks on the dash, or the milage indicator says no fob.???? I think
There is a message that comes up in the trip gauge window, "NO FOB" but it doesn't stay on for very long.

Was a long way from home on a ride and lost the Fob from my jacket pocket (later found but had been run over and not operational) spent the rest of the trip entering the code every time I turner her off.

An important point, MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON LEVER GROUND WHEN YOU TURN IT OFF!

If you stop on a slope (high side to the left, like the shoulder of the road) and turn the bitch off, the alarm will go off as the tip sensor will detect the bike standing up, the only way to reset the alarm is to roll the bike to level ground set it on its jiffy stand and wait about 10 minutes for the alarm to stop its deafening sound, before you can enter the code.

Talk about embarrassment, no cell phone service, 1000 miles from home just had to figure it out on my own, the manual really doesn't mention this tidbit of information.

When set on the jiffy stand at a normal lean angle the tip sensor is satisfied, once the bike is standing near vertical the sensor will trip the alarm and sound the horn, flash the lights and disable the ignition circuit if the fob is not present.

There is a warning period (about 10 seconds) and if you reset the bike back on the stand its fine, the trouble with being on a slope is you can't set the bike on the angle to satisfy the tip sensor and once the alarm is set....you are screwed, you have to find level ground and wait for the alarm circuit to reset,believe me its a real bitch.

So if you are out and you forget or lose your fob, make sure you stop where the bike is on reasonably level ground before you turn her off.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:55 AM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,072 Likes on 2,919 Posts

Originally Posted by HardRider1
There is a message that comes up in the trip gauge window, "NO FOB" but it doesn't stay on for very long.

Was a long way from home on a ride and lost the Fob from my jacket pocket (later found but had been run over and not operational) spent the rest of the trip entering the code every time I turner her off.

An important point, MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON LEVER GROUND WHEN YOU TURN IT OFF!

If you stop on a slope (high side to the left, like the shoulder of the road) and turn the bitch off, the alarm will go off as the tip sensor will detect the bike standing up, the only way to reset the alarm is to roll the bike to level ground set it on its jiffy stand and wait about 10 minutes for the alarm to stop its deafening sound, before you can enter the code.

Talk about embarrassment, no cell phone service, 1000 miles from home just had to figure it out on my own, the manual really doesn't mention this tidbit of information.

When set on the jiffy stand at a normal lean angle the tip sensor is satisfied, once the bike is standing near vertical the sensor will trip the alarm and sound the horn, flash the lights and disable the ignition circuit if the fob is not present.

There is a warning period (about 10 seconds) and if you reset the bike back on the stand its fine, the trouble with being on a slope is you can't set the bike on the angle to satisfy the tip sensor and once the alarm is set....you are screwed, you have to find level ground and wait for the alarm circuit to reset,believe me its a real bitch.

So if you are out and you forget or lose your fob, make sure you stop where the bike is on reasonably level ground before you turn her off.
Or you could just sit on the bike in an upright position and wait for the security system to go through its cycle. Turn the ignition on, enter the code and hit start. Works like a champ.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:20 AM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

I had a fob go dead at 1:30 AM leaving from a local watering hole. Fortunately, I was able to enter the code correctly (after 20 minutes of fumbling and waking up the locals with the siren splitting the night). Now I carry an extra battery in my windshield pocket, and I'm planning to have security installed on the new (to me) 2013 I just got.

Last edited by shorelasHD; 12-18-2014 at 05:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-18-2014, 06:14 AM
Kennedy81
Advanced

not every time I lock the key lock on the steering head sometimes I might be running into the store or post office for a minute and it is nice to not have to take the keys out of my pocket every time.
This, I had the security system (no alarm) installed on this bike for that very reason. I don't always want to have to lock it.
My FXR, the key has to be in the ignition for it to run, so I rarely locked the forks (requires a separate padlock), I could just turn off the ignition, slide the key in my pocket and go.
For the new bagger, it is nice to just turn the ignition off, hop off the bike and go

Old 12-18-2014, 02:41 PM
Mister Breeze
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I miss the locking gas lid. I liked it. Worry sometimes of kids or a- holes. getting devilish.... not mine.

I got an extra generic key at the dealer for free. Kept in tour pack, in case I forgot mine. Used it many times too.
Any other bike will work and heard in a pinch a bic pen too.
As far as the FOBs its good to know the code for sure.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:52 PM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

See its a good thing it has a code.
Yea and I am glad i had the code changed to my numbers and figured out how to access it.
I wouldn't leave the fob in the tourpakl or anywhere on the bike because with out the key you can't lock the forks and if the fob is in the bike anyone can ride of on your ride.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: That darn FOB!