2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a Street Glide. Need help with lowering.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 11:30 AM
usefulshrimp
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Considering a Street Glide. Need help with lowering.

Hi,

After previously having a Softail Deluxe I’m now considering moving up to a Street Glide, but I’m a little on the short side (5’5”, 29” inseam) and although I can ride it fine, I’m on tippy toes when I to stop and maneuvering at low speeds (reversing etc) is tough since I’m not flat footed with a bend at my knee.

I’m currently thinking of asking the dealer to lower it at purchase time to make it easier. Talking to them the other day, they suggested some Burly springs to drop it down about 1’5”, which doesn't seem like a lot, so will that be noticeable? I was also thinking of sending the stock seat to Mean City Cycles and having it narrowed and dropped a little to help.

Am I taking the best approach? Is there a better way to lower it that I’m not considering? I know Air Suspension is also an option, but I was wondering how that works when riding, stopping at lights etc since I’m under the impression that it’s mostly kept low only when ‘parked at the bar’.

Any help would be appreciated since I’m hoping to get it sorted out this week in the hopes of having it parked in my garage as soon as possible (briefly of course)

Old 12-17-2014, 11:56 AM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

There are HD seats that can also lower you that the dealership should have on hand to try out.

Batman

Old 12-17-2014, 12:15 PM
Poppawhiskey
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

+1 on the reduced reach seat. With your height and inseam dimensions, can you reach the side stand ok?

Old 12-17-2014, 12:16 PM
harleymike77
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a similar issue with my Ultra. 30" inseam here. Tippy toed at lights and stops, and backing up was difficult. Sent the seat out to MCC, and had the "Super Narrow Mod" performed. Looks exactly like stock, and even my Dealer could not tell. Not only am I flat footed now, I also have some knee bend. That was the route I went, and the setback was a mere $130. Good luck with your decision..........

Old 12-17-2014, 12:19 PM
wrenchguy24
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe you should consider a ULTRA LOW
im 5'5" also 30"inseam I am almost flat footed

Old 12-17-2014, 12:26 PM
usefulshrimp
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Poppawhiskey
+1 on the reduced reach seat. With your height and inseam dimensions, can you reach the side stand ok?
It gets a little tricky depending on the ground, but I thought I could easily get an extension if needed?

Old 12-17-2014, 12:28 PM
usefulshrimp
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wrenchguy24
Maybe you should consider a ULTRA LOW
im 5'5" also 30"inseam I am almost flat footed
I'll take a look, but I love the SG. Still, they are basically the same bike once you remove the 'extra' things.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:41 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

How close are you to flat footing? On my Limited, all I needed to get good was the right boots. My Redwing Engineer boots have a somewhat thicker sole and a pretty thick heel. Wearing those boots puts my feet nice and flat to the ground. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam. Might be worth exploring.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:31 PM
usefulshrimp
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Brewmany
How close are you to flat footing? On my Limited, all I needed to get good was the right boots. My Redwing Engineer boots have a somewhat thicker sole and a pretty thick heel. Wearing those boots puts my feet nice and flat to the ground. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam. Might be worth exploring.
I'm close I guess. Maybe an inch or so might get me there when I really think about it.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:39 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,679 Likes on 822 Posts

The Russians have a way to break your femurs, and put these expansion bars on your legs to get you taller. They used Vodka instead of morphine.

Quick Reply: Considering a Street Glide. Need help with lowering.