Sponsored by:

Another Boom 6.5 problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 08:52 PM
pointcrossed
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlanStansbery
Another aspect is, the dealer 'flash' will have an effect on which 'bugs' are present, or are not, in addition to the downloads (e.g., 1.18.2) we do ourselves. I discovered this when I added 2 more speakers, and the dealer did a flash on the system so it was configured for 4 speakers vice 2. I had 1.18.2 both before, and after. But a slightly different set of bugs before, and after… Post-flash, some things were 'fixed' (e.g., the auto dimming feature works properly now--for the moment at least), and one at least (the AVC function) broke.

This also explained (for me) part of the the reason I was experiencing issues with the system with 1.18.2 loaded, that other guys swore they weren't seeing. It's because…they weren't. There's more issues with the Infotainment system firmware--and the set of bugs we're each experiencing--than just those directly related to the downloads we're all doing, it seems.

BTW, I've got the Boom! fairing-mounted amp along with fairing and lowers speakers. And for the record, the 'bug list' changed twice so far; when going from no-amp to the fairing-mounted amp…then again, when going from 2 speakers with the fairing-mounted amp, to four speakers. For the first change, I thought the bug-list change was due to the download I'd done. Now, I'm not so sure it wasn't the dealer flash. Plenty of room for variation if you consider interaction between the various combinations of user-download, and dealer-flash (and system hardware configuration).

It seems in addition to programming errors, there are substantial issues with quality assurance and/or managing the various firmware configurations, i.e., those related to 'user updates', and those related to 'dealer updates'. To paint with broad strokes, it's all 'process' related. (Or rather, there don't seem to be good software/firmware related processes in place). There are several 'buggy' firmware components, and depending upon how you mix and match them, you'll see a slightly different picture when it comes to symptoms. The 'symptoms' are related to an underlying 'disease', i.e., a lack of effective software/firmware development and management practices, supporting the system.

My fear is that HD won't ensure these issues are resolved, and two or three years from now, they'll have moved on to a different 'Infotainment' product and all of us will be stuck with the bugs we've got now. It's well over a year, and we're still discussing some of the same bugs we were talking about a year ago. Not because we like to bring up old news…but because these bugs haven't been effectively addressed. There's been at least two cycles of user-download since the system was released in the Rushmore bikes. Is HD updating their dealer firmware 'flash' components, too? All I see is a bike with a radio system that has never performed up to par with my expectations--which are that all its features perform as they are meant to do.

And yes...I'm venting. Apologies.

Alan
I would never apologize for somthing I paid for and got less than expected. It's like buying a cash value gift card for $1 and it only being able to spend it on 50 cents worth of merchandise.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:19 PM
codpilot
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Well my issue is the opposite - I plug in the iPhone 5 i have and boom instant music play starting with the first song in the phone. Every. Freaking.Time. Not even continuing from where it left off. First. Song. Always.

It's to the point now that with the new iPhone I have not and will not plug it in. It's not worth it.

And I agree. Personally I think one more patch to see if they fix anything, and then it's time to take it up a notch. I just want it to work. Seriously, after a year of patches and breaking things even more this is silly.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:34 AM
hawg20
Cruiser

You guys have have pointed out why I haven't done an update. I at least know how to deal with the original bugs. Don't want to learn a new set of issues. I have noticed lately that it takes 2 trys to get the phone synced.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:22 AM
Afdharley
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by codpilot
Well my issue is the opposite - I plug in the iPhone 5 i have and boom instant music play starting with the first song in the phone. Every. Freaking.Time. Not even continuing from where it left off. First. Song. Always.

It's to the point now that with the new iPhone I have not and will not plug it in. It's not worth it.

And I agree. Personally I think one more patch to see if they fix anything, and then it's time to take it up a notch. I just want it to work. Seriously, after a year of patches and breaking things even more this is silly.
If I start the bike and THEN plug in my iPhone I get the same issue, starts playing first song. If I plug in the phone and then start the bike, no issues. Goes to the fm station I had selected.

Not a fix but at least I know what not to do.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:30 AM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hawg20
You guys have have pointed out why I haven't done an update. I at least know how to deal with the original bugs. Don't want to learn a new set of issues. I have noticed lately that it takes 2 trys to get the phone synced.
Ya, I'm still on 17 something for the same reason.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:02 PM
01XLH
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AlanStansbery
The 'symptoms' are related to an underlying 'disease', i.e., a lack of effective software/firmware development and management practices, supporting the system.
Alan
I like that "disease" comment, mind if i use it?

I was on the dealer and the MoCo case about all this being poor program management and lack of proper testing practices since April, 2014, 2 months after I got the 14 Ultra with the 6.5.
After varying discussions with the dealer service depts., I realized they're just as much in the dark as the riders were/are.

I would love to be a fly on the wall at H-D Corporate just to see what their plans are for addressing the issues.

If the comment they'll come out with something different eventually comes true, I'll be done with H-D. I never thought I'd say that, but after 35 years, all good things must come to an end I guess.

Happy Holidays.... Maybe I'll ask Santa for a completely tested and working infotainment system sans the bugs.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:54 PM
ultraclassic53
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only problem that I experienced is that if I jump on the bike and try to start it before the system comes all the way on the screen will go black and nothing works. If I let it completely come on I never have any problems. The only thing I really use is XM and an Ipod.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:42 PM
09FLHXrLVNV
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ultraclassic53
The only problem that I experienced is that if I jump on the bike and try to start it before the system comes all the way on the screen will go black and nothing works. If I let it completely come on I never have any problems. The only thing I really use is XM and an Ipod.
i follow this seq when i stop bike...flip switch to off (right hand control) wait a few seconds then twist fork switch...when i go to jump on bike again i do reverse but radio sometimes turns on other times stays off...

Old 12-22-2014, 11:04 PM
valle
Advanced
Default Had the dealer change the entire Boom unit

The new one seems to have a sharper more detailed look and no issues

Old 12-23-2014, 05:21 AM
Cobra1
Road Warrior

Received 1,289 Likes on 523 Posts

This is the first time I have ever had a radio of any kind on a motorcycle but I have had several in caged vehicles and never experienced any issues until this one branded by Harley. I don't understand why Harley doesn't release bug fixes every month or so. Even Apple admitted they had problems with the iPhone and released bug fixes every month or so to fix them. What is Harley thinking? Fix the damn radio so we can get back to discussing the motorcycle.

Quick Reply: Another Boom 6.5 problem