Sponsored by:

GPS question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 09:31 AM
kpb46
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS question

I use Mapsource to create a route. Put in various way points to force route where I want it to go. Upload route into bike and it ignores all the waypoints and takes me the way it wants to go. Do I have to manually insert waypoints once uploaded onto the bike? Also, how many waypoints can there be on a single route?

Old 01-26-2015, 09:56 AM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

I am no expert, in fact I haven't had the opportunity to use the GPS yet (new bike this week) but would you not have better success using the HD route planner and then upload to the unit. It is my understanding that the HD planner was developed for the HD GPS which makes sense to me

Old 01-26-2015, 10:25 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by kpb46
I use Mapsource to create a route. Put in various way points to force route where I want it to go. Upload route into bike and it ignores all the waypoints and takes me the way it wants to go. Do I have to manually insert waypoints once uploaded onto the bike? Also, how many waypoints can there be on a single route?

With the latest version software you can have up to 100 waypoints per route. I use Garmin's BaseCamp software for route planning and the .gpx files from it work well with the BoomBox. MapSource is also a Garmin product but I don't know if it works the same as BaseCamp.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:06 PM
kpb46
Road Master

The only update I see on the Harley site is for the 4.5. Am I missing something?

Old 01-26-2015, 06:13 PM
kkinderen
Road Master

The only update I see on the Harley site is for the 4.5. Am I missing something?
6.5GT is under Premium Radio

Old 01-26-2015, 07:49 PM
01XLH
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rwven
I use Garmin's BaseCamp software for route planning and the .gpx files from it work well with the BoomBox. MapSource is also a Garmin product but I don't know if it works the same as BaseCamp.
Mapsource is the predecessor to Basecamp. I learned on Mapsource and it took me some time to get used to BC*. FWIW, I had and still occasionally have trouble getting BC to follow the route I want, however it is much better in many ways I just live with it.

*If you try BC make sure you get the latest version. When I 1st d/l'ed and tried it, turned out that version had a few bugs. They've been doing a decent job of updating and improving it.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:23 AM
kpb46
Road Master

Originally Posted by kkinderen
6.5GT is under Premium Radio
DUH !! thanks

Old 01-27-2015, 11:26 AM
kpb46
Road Master

ok, now i have the latest ver installed. created a basic route using harley trip planner. put in about 5 waypoints. when i try and import i get a message that saya nav data base is full. i deleted all saved routes and waypoints. still get the same message. anybody??

Old 01-27-2015, 11:55 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

ok, now i have the latest ver installed. created a basic route using harley trip planner. put in about 5 waypoints. when i try and import i get a message that saya nav data base is full. i deleted all saved routes and waypoints. still get the same message. anybody??
Each time you import a route, it imports the start and points as 'destinations'. When you delete the route, the saved destinations are not removed. To make room, you will need to remove those saved destinations.

You can see these from the navigation menu -> where to -> saved. You can also delete them from that location.

Last edited by MilesOfTexas; 01-27-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:22 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MilesOfTexas
Each time you import a route, it imports the start and points as 'destinations'. When you delete the route, the saved destinations are not removed. To make room, you will need to remove those saved destinations.

You can see these from the navigation menu -> where to -> saved. You can also delete them from that location.

Just to add to ^^^^^, when you perform a route import don't choose select all when it brings up the way points list, just select the main file and that will save some of the space.

Quick Reply: GPS question