Sponsored by:

Why the AVC Automatic Volume Control does not work 6.5 Boom Radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 08:37 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dgdamore
FYI, the 300W amp is not new, or new to the 2015 CVO Street Glide. It is standard on my 2014 CVO Limited. Only difference is the 2015 CVO Street Glide has two of the 300W amps. 1 for the front speakers, 1 for the rear speakers. 600 total watts.

1 amp is needed for every 2 of the new Boom2 speakers.

On a separate note, I will agree as others have posted, I've had no problems whatsoever with my speakers, and I run it at full volume some times. I have to problems with the automatic volume control either. It works as it should.
^^^^^^^^ is correct. Each 4 channel 300 watt amp goes to 2 speakers. Each speaker has a separate driver and tweeter and each of those is an independent channel; each speaker requires 2 amp channels, 4 speakers is 2 amps.

The question for those of us that have the CVO with one amp already is what would we need. I know the 4 speakers and one additional amp but the wiring harnesses are a little hard to figure out. Plus, I don't think I want to mount the second amp and take up valuable cargo space in the tour pak or saddle bag. I have seen some post that maybe mounting it under the tour pak but not sure how weather proof the amp is.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:40 PM
jdgresham
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Avc

I've had no problem with speakers, volume, quality or clarity. Everything on mine works perfect except having to adjust AVC before each ride. It just goes stupid once the bike is turned off. I'm betting it will eventually be addressed in a future firmware update. It's nothing more than a minor inconvenience and for that reason I can wait until it's fixed.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:37 PM
joenash
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watts??????

[QUOTE=FinalShot;13642497]^^^^^^^^ is correct. Each 4 channel 300 watt amp goes to 2 speakers. Each speaker has a separate driver and tweeter and each of those is an independent channel; each speaker requires 2 amp channels, 4 speakers is 2 amps.

The question is , how many watts are the speakers and how many watts is the amp putting out ? the website says ( I don't know why I can't cut and paste but) the new speakers are powered by two channels (left & right?)(But you are using all 4 for subs and tweets) from our 300 watt amp-one channel powers the woofer and another powers the mid and tweeter combo,
I mean stage 1 should be louder cause the stock speakers are 25 watts, the stage 1 upgraded speakers are 75 watts, and if you install the HD amp 4 channels divided by 4 = 75 watts per speaker.
Ok stage 2 speakers use all 4 channels 2 for subs, 2 tweets and mids with a crossover, SO my question since I am not a audio guy, are the stage II speakers really four 75 watt speakers = 300 watts ?
any way you look at it stage 1 stage II should be louder you would think if you look at the numbers.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:37 PM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 274 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by jdgresham
I've had no problem with speakers, volume, quality or clarity. Everything on mine works perfect except having to adjust AVC before each ride. It just goes stupid once the bike is turned off. I'm betting it will eventually be addressed in a future firmware update. It's nothing more than a minor inconvenience and for that reason I can wait until it's fixed.
Same here; no problems with my speakers or clarity and I've read of a few that have. My AVC has always worked although the steps that it increases and decreases is not optimal. I haven't ridden since the .3 update so that part might be fixed but I do know that the AVC is keeping its setting and always has. I've done every update too and the AVC has never done what yours and many others are reporting when shutting down and restarting. It's kinda strange that it's a random problem even with current s/w updates.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:48 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=joenash;13642868]
Originally Posted by FinalShot
^^^^^^^^ is correct. Each 4 channel 300 watt amp goes to 2 speakers. Each speaker has a separate driver and tweeter and each of those is an independent channel; each speaker requires 2 amp channels, 4 speakers is 2 amps.

The question is , how many watts are the speakers and how many watts is the amp putting out ? the website says ( I don't know why I can't cut and paste but) the new speakers are powered by two channels (left & right?)(But you are using all 4 for subs and tweets) from our 300 watt amp-one channel powers the woofer and another powers the mid and tweeter combo,
I mean stage 1 should be louder cause the stock speakers are 25 watts, the stage 1 upgraded speakers are 75 watts, and if you install the HD amp 4 channels divided by 4 = 75 watts per speaker.
Ok stage 2 speakers use all 4 channels 2 for subs, 2 tweets and mids with a crossover, SO my question since I am not a audio guy, are the stage II speakers really four 75 watt speakers = 300 watts ?
any way you look at it stage 1 stage II should be louder you would think if you look at the numbers.
No. Boom 2 requires two 300w amps to run four speakers. 1-300w amp per 2 speakers. 600 total watts. 150W per speaker.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:40 AM
Schurk
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jstrenn
So...... Whats your contribution to this thread? Mr 3 posts!!!! At least I contributed that I don't have any problems and as far as I know I haven't seen hardly any threads on the forum about people having problems with there speakers. In the past I can only recall maybe 1 or 2.

I was just throwing out the BS flag, saying I don't think there is a fleet wide issue with speakers.
Ah, you're just one of those people where only quantity counts ..... Mr 3 posts, a fleet wide, etc. .....If YOU're not having a problem or YOU don't see a problem there is no problem ......

Wish you a lot of luck, you're gonna need it.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:31 AM
BILLL1121
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I only use the head set, and the AVC doesn't work on my 2014 limited.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:42 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by BILLL1121
I only use the head set, and the AVC doesn't work on my 2014 limited.

I'm a (mostly) headset guy too and yeah, the AVC doesn't work with the headset, only with the speakers. Plus I've noticed I have to keep the volume higher with the headset, about 3/4 level...

Old 01-28-2015, 07:48 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I have an early 14 FLHTK. Purchased 17 months ago on August 28, 2013.

Never had an issue with AVC, speakers, or anything related to the stereo.

Until yesterday morning. Backing out of the garage at 0430 heading to work, the radio was playing from my iPod, ZZ Top.

Once I got in the street and started the bike, nothing from the infotainment, blank. Shut down, re fired, still nothing.

65 miles to work, enjoying the sound of the pipes and the wind.

2 hours after I got to work, I went out and everything functioned perfect, and no issues this morning.

The only other issue I've ever had with the infotainment is the silly zoom issue with 18.2. I haven't had a chance to DL the new one yet.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:00 AM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a '14 SG (with upgraded premium 6.5 radio). I have a Boom 300W amp driving 4 upgraded 6.5" Boom speakers. There are two speakers in the fairing, and two in the lowers. The speakers are rated at 75W each, which is what each of the four amp channels produce.

Before I added the speakers in the lowers, my AVC worked, but I had to set it every time I turned the bike on.

Immediately after adding the lower speakers, the AVC did not work at all. The only difference was there were two more speakers…and the dealer had done a flash so the radio/amp would recognize the extra speakers. (The software version--which I'd downloaded from the Harley Infotainment software update site online--stayed at 1.18.2 throughout).

From this I deduced the difference, in my case, between the AVC working, and not, had been the dealer flash. I checked each of the speakers, BTW, and each put out an equivalent amount of volume. I don't think, in my case, it was a question of a 'blown' speaker.

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 01-28-2015 at 08:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Why the AVC Automatic Volume Control does not work 6.5 Boom Radio