Sponsored by:

Harley Reduced Reach Handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 04:34 PM
PeteF
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Harley Reduced Reach Handlebars

There are a couple of good threads about how to install the reduced reach bars, so I figured i would do a thread on what you don't have to do during the installation. Really, it's pretty easy. I have no idea why two dealers in my area wanted about $1000 labor to do this job, except that people are willing to pay that outrageous amount. I, however, am not willing to pay. Let me say this, buy a service manual.

It took me about three hours to do the installation. Contrary to what a dealer or the Harley website says, you do not need new cables or hydraulic lines. You do not need to replace the fairing mounted mirrors. The view through the fairing mounted mirrors is fine. Dealing with the wiring and hydraulic lines is easy. As long as you're running the wires outside the bars, the only wiring you need to disconnect is the throttle by wire connector, and that's so you can run it through the new handlebars.

A dealer may say that they need to remove the inner fairing to try to justify the high labor charge. Wrong. The Harley service manual does not advise to remove the inner fairing, but to remove the outer fairing(easy), remove the inner fairing fasteners and rotate the inner fairing forward. That's easy as heck. You also don't need to remove the ignition switch innards. You only need to remove the chrome ignition cover, the two screws from the sides of the inner fairing skirt and pull the inner fairing skirt back. You then have all the access you need to remove the old bars and install the new ones. Below is a photo of what I'm talking about.

The reduced reach bars are slightly wider than stock, so they don't fit exactly in the bar grove in the inner fairing. The reason they're wider is because the increased length would cause them hit the tank at full lock if they were the same width as the stock bars. Also, the grip angle is a little less than the stock bars. That works for me, but the angle may not work for some people. The reduced reach bars are a way to gain a little height and situate the grips about two inches closer to you, but still keep your hands behind the fairing.

Attached Thumbnails Harley Reduced Reach Handlebars-image.jpg  

Last edited by PeteF; 02-04-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:30 PM
Markallamerican
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks!!.......

Old 02-04-2015, 05:51 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Thank you!
May I add, I did this already and just went in to do a slight bar adjustment. I did not have to remove the chrome switch cover to remove the plastic skirt, although I did remove it when I did the install.

Mike

Old 02-04-2015, 05:56 PM
stevep48
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes...thanks
HD just wants us to "think" it's hard and charge for stuff we just don't need.
Not enough diff between stock and RR bars but hope enough to swap

Old 02-04-2015, 06:14 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Thinking of doing a bar swap myself, this is good info.

Just remember these are the same dealers that want $4-500 for a service....

Old 02-05-2015, 10:19 AM
benson1603
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock #

anyone have the stock number for these bars?

Old 02-05-2015, 11:42 AM
PeteF
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by benson1603
anyone have the stock number for these bars?

Batwing Reduced Reach Handlebar-56176-08

Old 02-05-2015, 03:02 PM
spittfire
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the Khromewerks +2 wide sweepers. I put the Harley reach bars on my 2012 Ultra Limited and still had the back of the neck soreness. It wasn't as bad as the stock bars but I still had the pain. I put the Khromewerks +2 wide sweepers on my 2014 Limited and what a difference! You have a more natural handgrip and your elbows aren't too far in toward your body.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:15 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by spittfire
Get the Khromewerks +2 wide sweepers. I put the Harley reach bars on my 2012 Ultra Limited and still had the back of the neck soreness. It wasn't as bad as the stock bars but I still had the pain. I put the Khromewerks +2 wide sweepers on my 2014 Limited and what a difference! You have a more natural handgrip and your elbows aren't too far in toward your body.
May I ask your height and arm length? I am 6ft with 32" sleeve length and wonder if the bars would help me?

Old 02-05-2015, 07:40 PM
jimmy1439
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Excellent points by PeteF. I did the install and the bars made a huge difference for me. I an 5'8", 190 lbs, don't know sleeve length. My shoulders ached after an hour and a half or so. Now, I can ride all day with no issues. Well worth the money and time.

JT_HD did a good install thread with a bunch of pictures. I did the install with just his thread because the dealer was out of manuals at the time and I didn't want to wait.

Quick Reply: Harley Reduced Reach Handlebars