Dash mounted mic for phone use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 07:53 AM
VA_Larry
Road Captain
Received 111 Likes on 68 Posts

I purchased this adapter so I can use any microphone or headset ($25):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121462209336

With it I have used multiple inexpensive microphones for trips where the CB was needed. Right now I'm using a microphone designed to wrap around the head with a wire frame and be near the mouth, like you'd see singers using on stage. I cut the wire off one and created a mount on my helmet. When I'm on a trip where the CB is needed I clip it in and run the wire down the front of my jacket to the adapter.

Tapping into the wiring outside of the two plugs has proved to be elusive because the bike now uses something called "CANBUS" wiring. A short or pinched wire can have cascading issues on the bike.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:18 PM
hettinga2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's cool, but I guess he is not making them anymore, wish I would have seen them sooner.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:48 AM
VA_Larry
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hettinga2
that's cool, but I guess he is not making them anymore, wish I would have seen them sooner.
Send him a direct message on eBay. He only posts when he has inventory built. Otherwise he gets a bad rating from eBay. I bought one for myself and one for my passenger. For the passenger he changed the orientation so the plugs would be facing down.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:14 PM
Solex
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

I had contacted him a few days ago and just received a message from him that they are back up for sale. here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Heads...06eeb5&vxp=mtr

Old 03-27-2015, 01:55 AM
cody859k
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dash mounted mic for phone use?

For what it is worth. You can use you hand held mic to talk on the phone through your Bluetooth. you just have to push and key up the mic and talk normal. To use it on the cb, you have to key it up and hit the PTT button on right handlebar. Not the safest thing, but great in an emergency.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:39 AM
VA_Larry
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cody859k
For what it is worth. You can use you hand held mic to talk on the phone through your Bluetooth. you just have to push and key up the mic and talk normal. To use it on the cb, you have to key it up and hit the PTT button on right handlebar. Not the safest thing, but great in an emergency.
I believe the new Can Bus systems have removed the "PTT" wire in the 7 pin connector. That was the conclusion when I was researching it earlier this year for our drill team. The old CB type microphone with a push button would not work.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:23 AM
cody859k
Stage III

Originally Posted by VA_Larry
I believe the new Can Bus systems have removed the "PTT" wire in the 7 pin connector. That was the conclusion when I was researching it earlier this year for our drill team. The old CB type microphone with a push button would not work.

That was what I thought also after reading other posts. But I thought since the headset works that came with the 2014 bikes, why not just try one. I did and it does work. I had a complete phone conversation through my bike using my old cb mic while standing in my garage. I just had to key up the mic only (not the PTT on bike) to talk to my wife on her phone. I did have to push both the hand held button and the PTT on the bike to talk on cb. Then while riding the next day to meet some friends, my phone rang. I answered it through my touch screen on bike and talked through old cb mic. I just told him that I was two exits away and we ended the call. He later told me he could hear me just fine. Again--not the safest thing, but does work for sure.

The following users liked this post:
Vtwin109 (09-15-2023)
Old 03-27-2015, 02:58 PM
14cvoultra
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default My Mike

Mike behind PV

Here's how I did my mike I used the mike from a Harley head set. If you use any other mike I think you will have to use a blocking cap on the mike +line because there is +5 volts on mike Jack that feeds a preamp in the Harley headset if you take a head set apart you will see a small board that is in line with the mike that is the amp. I pluged the mike into plug under the fairing called 280 I did not buy the extra $70 cable Just ran 2 small wires and used crimp slip connectors. Works great for voice commands and CB I only use it for the voice commands

Last edited by 14cvoultra; 03-27-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Vtwin109 (09-15-2023)
Old 08-01-2018, 11:03 PM
ecurrent
Stage I

Originally Posted by hettinga2
I am wondering if anyone has seen this or done it. on my 2007 i had my phone mounted on the bars and connected by the AUX wire to the radio, i could use it hands free just fine around town and hear calls over the speakers and i loved it, but the new 2014 limited has my phone blue toothed and i have no mic to pick up my voice. can i add a mini mic to the dash and wire it to the bikes 7 pin connector harness and have the same result? I know it wont work at high speed but that's fine for me.
I just bought a 2015 Ultra Classic Low and had the same result when my brother called. I watched a video showing mixed results (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK0g...ature=youtu.be). I'll my buddy at J&M and see if he has any ideas for a dash mount version. If not, $45.00 will probably be spent.

Vtwin109 (09-15-2023)
Old 08-03-2018, 07:35 PM
mag11581
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i bought this on ebay last year

WIRELESS MICROPHONE FOR 2014 AND UP HARLEY DAVIDSON THE FREEDOM MICROPHONE

from bkrjm1
the console one works while stopped and at low speed , under 20mph.
the clipon one works at speed but doesnt stay in place. the mic is too heavy for the alligator clip and moves around too much.
at least when attached to a tshirt. may work better on a vest or leather jacket.

ecurrent (08-04-2018)

Quick Reply: Dash mounted mic for phone use?