Sponsored by:

Low choice and changes, long & hopefully helpful

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 05:53 PM
A206Driver
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Low choice and changes, long & hopefully helpful

I sat on the Limited and the Low. I’m 5’9” with a 31” inseam. Old, fat and weak. The Low was so much easier to pick up off of the stand. I easily flat footed it with room to spare. The 2” pullback bars that I figured that I would install were there already. The assist & slip clutch with easier pull was on it, remember the old, fat & weak. It had the premium shocks and front end already. I felt much more at ease and sure footed with the weight on the Low. I took this love of my life for a test ride; and the wife was on the back with us. She of course loved the ride. I was impressed with the ride and the stock power. I had made my choice, the Low it was. I would have liked the red/cayenne but all they had was black. Morticia it is.

Back at the dealership she asked “What else does it need”. I mentally went through a list and decided that foot pegs would be it. It had all of the Rushmore features, stereo, gps and cb too. What else could I want? I drank of the dealer’s kool-aid and forgot all of my bargaining and paid too much.

The footbrake was crazy high, that had to go. A little surfing at the HD forum and I had my answer, the SoftBrakes' Extended Brake Lever - Plain/Solid Design – Black please. I followed the directions on one of the many posts and with some difficulty got it installed. MUCH better!

Now for the highway pegs. And without the help of the forum I picked out the Short Angled Adjustable Highway Peg Mount Kit-50500168 and the Tribal Footpegs-51376-09 because they were... black. I'm sensing a trend.

OK good, I'm out for a ride. I know where the brake pedal is and my feet on the pegs in the breeze. Oh crap, too much breeze. The Low windscreen is 1" shorter. Is it the screen or does it need fork fangs. Off to the forum. After much reading I decide that I need it all. Sons a bitches are costing me a lot of money.

Thanks to the tips on the Long Ride Shields sale for 60% off I got The 2014 Recurve Ultra Shield 10" medium tint. I should have gotten the 9". This is a very nice windscreen.

I tried both the fork fangs http://www.jescustomaccents.com/prod...&categoryId=34 and the Baker Built Air Wings http://www.bakerbuilt.com/bbairwings/page126.html
The JES wind deflectors are a well built product that does a better job at stopping the air buffeting. I felt that my right leg just got too hot here in FL so I tried the Baker Built. It does not do as good a job at blocking the buffeting air. It is adequate and being able to adjust the airflow to my right side is paramount. If I open the left side Air Wing to get air I get helmet buffeting. So Air Wing left side closed and right side open when I need to cool off.

I read somewhere in the forum how happy everyone is with the cooler running Rushmore (see above paragraph). I'm thinking that I got one of the hot ones and that a tuner would cool things down. Ahem, off to the forum. I chose the V&H FP3. I like using my phone as the screen, but you do need a smarty-phone or iPad as the screen. I got it from HogPro with the forum discount. Easy to install and to use. Thanks Safetyman.

During all of the riding testing the above I learned that I needed a better seat and a backrest, remember the old. Back to the forum... again. I went with the CVO heated hammock (52000083) and CVO fixed backrest. The hammock takes out any harshness of the Low's suspension and provides a great ride. My derriere is very happy. I got it off of ebay for way, way less than half price. Beware, this does raise you up a couple of inches above the Low seat. I can ride all day. You won't be sorry.

I'm feeling some pain in between my shoulder blades. I guess that the 2" back bars aren't going to cut it. I went to the, well you know. I decided on the Khrome Werks® 1 inch 2+2 Chrome Narrow Sweeper Handlebar with ETC for 2008-2015 Harley-Davidson® Touring models with Bat Wing fairings, Part # 300519 from Dennis Kirk. I did the install following this thread. Thank you so much for that. While I was changing the bars I added the heated grips that the Low doesn't have and illuminated controls. Warm fat fingers and controls I can see at night. It was all well worth it to me.

The next two things, thankfully the last, I'm not to sure if they helped or not. I got the K&N HD-1614 air filter to retain the stock cover and to breathe better. I stole it for $35.99 and then the price went up to $60. I know the Rushmores' have better filter already so who knows if it's better. I also installed CVO mufflers (649100198 & 649100199) off of ebay, hopefully for better airflow and maintaining my old hearing. I like the looks and sound.

This post was really to help the next guy coming along like all of you helped me. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge. The Low is right for me and I hope that I have helped you decide if you were on the fence.

Live long and prosper, keep the rubber side down! One more thing...
just kidding.
Frosty

Last edited by A206Driver; 02-27-2015 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Title change
Old 02-27-2015, 07:51 AM
VA_Larry
Road Captain
Received 111 Likes on 68 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Hope you get many many fun miles.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:37 PM
hdtucson
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks

I feel your pain. I ordered one about a month ago, still no delivery date. But I added a ton of stuff. Unlike you on purpose from the git/go. I did get a substantial reduction from the msrp and some discount on parts. But I will check some of your suggestions as I still don't have everything yet. I did order the hammock also in part for the better ride quality as you confirmed, that was good to hear. I am spoiling myself on this one. I usually am too tight on the add ons for motorcycles.
Keeping us updated would be great as you pile up the miles.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:03 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Sounds like your setting it up well to suit you.

If you decide you want a shorter screen, lay your factory screen on your LRS, hold it up 1 inch from the bottom, scribe a line and cut it down.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:10 AM
Roadglide33
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet ride... Happy trails!!!

Old 03-01-2015, 10:40 AM
Markallamerican
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks really good

Old 03-01-2015, 11:22 AM
ramblin5
Road Master

Received 217 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by A206Driver
Live long and prosper, keep the rubber side down! One more thing...
just kidding.
Frosty
Am I missing something here? You said you were kidding? Was this just a spoof on guys that do a bunch of mods to their new bikes? Or did you really do all this stuff?

Old 03-01-2015, 11:39 AM
A206Driver
Tourer

Originally Posted by ramblin5
Am I missing something here? You said you were kidding? Was this just a spoof on guys that do a bunch of mods to their new bikes? Or did you really do all this stuff?
The just kidding was about how long the post was getting. You can see the cvo mufflers, cvo seat and the higher bars in the picture.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:50 AM
Markallamerican
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the picture. I think im going to try those bars. How much closer are the grips to you now?

Old 03-01-2015, 12:05 PM
A206Driver
Tourer

Originally Posted by Markallamerican
Thanks for the picture. I think im going to try those bars. How much closer are the grips to you now?
Since I had the Low that was 2" back already these raise it up 2" but it is adjustable quite a ways back towards you.

Quick Reply: Low choice and changes, long & hopefully helpful