Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight bulb replacement

Old 03-03-2015, 06:09 PM
Custom96
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight bulb replacement

soooo, in order to save a few bucks and still get the "bright white Headlight"effect. Im looking to replace the stock bulbs with sylvania ultra brights or possibly a LED style bulb that replaces the H9 and H11 bulbs. My question is Can i do that? Will LED bulbs work with the reflector housing? Has anyone done this? suggestions?

Last edited by Custom96; 03-03-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:26 PM
RK_2014
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great question - subscribed

Wondering if you need a resistor set up to compensate for the reduced resistive load affecting current draw when using LEDs

Old 03-03-2015, 06:40 PM
Custom96
Cruiser

you won't need any resistors that i know of, the ECM should recognize and correct the load as it does when switching the blinkers to LED. With all the new LED bulb replacements out there I'm thinking there may be a suitable replacement for the stock bulb that would work in the stock housing. And exactly how easy is it to replace the bulbs.. I can't find anything on-line that shows this.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:45 PM
chris h.
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuel Moto has a direct replacement but according to the note it will cause an error message.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/moto-led-headlight-bulb.html

Old 03-03-2015, 06:57 PM
Custom96
Cruiser

Originally Posted by chris h.
Fuel Moto has a direct replacement but according to the note it will cause an error message.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/moto-led-headlight-bulb.html
these are H4.

2014 FLHXS takes H9 and H11.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:08 PM
J929626
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Stick with the ultra brights. Trying to figure out which LED will work well with the stock reflector and not throw a DTC is going to be problematic.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:15 PM
Custom96
Cruiser

Originally Posted by J929626
Stick with the ultra brights. Trying to figure out which LED will work well with the stock reflector and not throw a DTC is going to be problematic.
you think it will still throw code? I'd of thought the ECM would recognize and compensate for the load like it did when I switched out my blinkers to the custom dynamics.

yeah,agreed... Utra-brights or a similar style bulb would be the safe route. How easy is it to remove the headlight? Is it just trim ring, 3 retaining bolts, and then the headlight just comes out?

Old 03-03-2015, 07:17 PM
sixshooter
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

If you keep and eye out, napa ran a sale last year in March and you could get a 7" LED truck lite for like $170 with a lifetime warranty. A lot more expensive than just a few bulbs, but far less than you'll pay for a true LED from Harley and much better light output than just an LED bulb in the factory lens. Just gotta build a harness to get to an H4 connection and it plugs in no prob. Just a thought in case you haven't heard of the swap. I get a lot of compliments on mine. The light when off has almost a black lens look, and it works worlds better than stock when riding.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:23 PM
Custom96
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sixshooter
If you keep and eye out, napa ran a sale last year in March and you could get a 7" LED truck lite for like $170 with a lifetime warranty. A lot more expensive than just a few bulbs, but far less than you'll pay for a true LED from Harley and much better light output than just an LED bulb in the factory lens. Just gotta build a harness to get to an H4 connection and it plugs in no prob. Just a thought in case you haven't heard of the swap. I get a lot of compliments on mine. The light when off has almost a black lens look, and it works worlds better than stock when riding.
Rgr That... I have heard of this, however I'm looking for just a simple replacement that does away with the "yellow" bulb look... since I swapped out my blinkers, my headlight light looks almost gold. LOL... So... something like a simple bulb swap to a ultra bright will satisfy me. (for now)

Sooo... how easy, or whats involved in swapping out bulbs?

Old 03-03-2015, 07:49 PM
sixshooter
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

As long as Sylvania or whoever makes a bright white bulb in the factory plug style that's on our bikes, it'll just plug and play. I actually hadn't heard of the issues with dtc's mentioned here when installing different lights, but if you stick with a normal, just brighter, incandescent bulb, should be zero issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: headlight bulb replacement