Sponsored by:

Heated Grips Not Hot

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 06:44 PM
roaddog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heated Grips Not Hot

Anyone have Heated Grips that even on the highest setting does not get hot? 2015 RGU CVO and my grips are not hot enough. Friends are uncomfortable over 3 setting. I road today in 55 degree weather without gloves on setting 6 and would have liked more heat. Been back to dealer and the said they were within specs at 134 degrees.

Anyone figure out what causes a reduce Heath?? A few had said they believe a crimped wire could cause this issue.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:49 PM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Probably a weak ground. I can't hold onto mine with gloves over 2. Mine quit on me after 2 months and had them replaced under warranty. Find another dealer.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:03 PM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustrtal
Probably a weak ground. I can't hold onto mine with gloves over 2. Mine quit on me after 2 months and had them replaced under warranty. Find another dealer.
I crank them up to 3 when first starting but have to back down to 2-2 1/2, something definitely wrong.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:09 PM
blackx-runner
Cruiser

I put a set on over the winter, level 2 is all I need, and after awhile that can even get a little too warm.
I'd give the dealership an earful if you know that yours don't function like they should. You paid a lot of money for that CVO they should be making sure you're happy with it. I'm assuming it came with heated grips from the factory. They should swap them out under warranty.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:11 PM
MDSledhead
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

how much air (if any) hits your bars? If cold air is hitting them directly they may not feel hot. But mine are like the others on here. I can't stand them above 3 or so.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:46 PM
roaddog
Cruiser

As stated above I did take them back to the dealer. They took bike inside and ran the bike and used some sort of heat sensor to determine grip temperature. They come back and say grips are working properly and show 134 degrees at a 6 setting. They say that is within normal spec. I challenge them and get no satisfaction. Guess I have to try another dealer. I really hate taking my bike to any dealer, nothing but bad experiences with service departments. I do all my own service, but first time with heated grips.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:57 PM
Captnpirate
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by roaddog
As stated above I did take them back to the dealer. They took bike inside and ran the bike and used some sort of heat sensor to determine grip temperature. They come back and say grips are working properly and show 134 degrees at a 6 setting. They say that is within normal spec. I challenge them and get no satisfaction. Guess I have to try another dealer. I really hate taking my bike to any dealer, nothing but bad experiences with service departments. I do all my own service, but first time with heated grips.
So they show you the temp but do they allow you to hold onto the grips at that temp?? For all you know they are putting the temp gage on another part of the engine.....Make them show you how they test it!

Old 03-26-2015, 09:04 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

135 is not near hot enough, mine are close to 180-200, too hot to hold on to bare handed. (Thermal heat gun)
My guess it is a bad controller, time for a different dealer.

The following users liked this post:
philrod (12-08-2018)
Old 03-27-2015, 12:55 AM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

That's definitely not right, mine are the same as the other guys. Although I've never had them past 4, but they do get toasty.

You can check a few things. There's one power connection under the fairing, one connection from one grip to the other sticking out of the hole in the handlebars between the mounts, and a plug/receptacle on the end of the right grip. Those are the most likely places for problems to occur, especially in the grip.

Maybe pop the cover off of the end and make sure that the plug is seated properly; it's really easy to kink the leads to the grip, you'll see why when you open it up. You can use a needle-nose pliers on the plug, there's a hole to put one of the tips in. The wire shouldn't need to be folded back on itself.

Other than that, one of the grips may be bad. You might be able to look at resistance if you've got a meter, they should be about the same.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:06 AM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

Mine work great, on a ride in the 40*'s the other day, I rode with them on like 5, it felt so good I nearly blistered my palm (ya, dumb but it was chilly)...

With that said...They do act goofy. By that I mean, Sometimes they will cycle what would be considered normal, ya know, on-off-on-off keeping a constant temp. Then they cool off and seem too cold, then kick on and get too hot.

I have no idea how or what controls these grips. It's obviously a thermostat/thermister but whoever designed it must work in the same department as the Infotainment R&D.

Bottom line though...I LOVE them AND the heated seat!

Quick Reply: Heated Grips Not Hot