Sponsored by:

LED Lights and CAN-BUS

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 11:40 PM
01XLH
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default LED Lights and CAN-BUS

This is a new thread from comments started @ https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...ar-lights.html.

I'm just trying to help other riders like me, who can't leave well enough alone

Background
I added a TS bar, lollipop housings and single filament (1156) bulbs to my 14 Ultra a year ago.
No problems and no double-speed flash from the TS indicators with or without the tour pack attached.

I changed a spare set of housings to dual filament sockets for 1157 bulbs and ran a separate wire from the license plate lamp wiring to the sockets.
I found LED 1157 CAN-BUS bulbs at the local automotive parts place.
When applying 12vdc to one contact only a portion of the bulb lit, running lights.
The other contact all the LEDs lit, turn signal.

I hooked everything up, turn the ign and now with just running lights all LED's lit up. Turn signals worked fine.

Through trial & error troubleshooting I found that now, no matter which contact I apply 12v to, ALL the LED's light up.
So a circuit in the 1157 CAN-BUS LED's must have failed.

Update
Without any type of bulb installed, I turn-on a turn signal, the tour pak TS's flash normally, but the TS indicators flash double-speed... even with the tour pak attached.
I took out the LED bulbs and replaced them with dual filament incandescent bulbs. The running light filaments lit OK.
But when I hit a turn signal I hear a quick buzzing noise and the TS indicator flashes double speed and the TS bulbs flash normal rate.
I figure the current draw of the TS filament incandescent is too much and the CAN-BUS senses it.

I removed the dual socket housings and wiring.
Luckily I had a set of single contact lollipop housings, so I installed them with bulbs and removed the running light wiring.
With no bulbs attached in the housings, the tour pak TS's work, but the dash indicators flash double speed.

A installed the bulbs in the TS housings. The turn signals work and no double flash indicators.
Hmm sounds like the CAN-BUS got used to the incandescent TS bulbs?

It got to 55 after all that, so I stopped, put everything together and rode!
The hell with running lights for awhile lol

Last edited by 01XLH; 03-30-2015 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:47 PM
Maury
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know this was an old post but I recently installed CD LED rear turn signals and while I had no problems with it, there is a note in the packaging that says if you experience rapid indicators (like you had) then run the 4 ways for 5 minutes to resync the canbus system

Maury