Sponsored by:

Another LED Headlight Thread - Sirius LED Direct Plug H11 Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 08:57 PM
Badass14
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket67
Got them installed, fit fine and definitely like better than stock. I dont know how they perform but they seem much brighter.
Were they a tight fit or was there room left? More less the question im asking is will they get warmer and what is the reason for the extra backing on that headlight bulb. Is it for the extra components it takes to run leds?

Old 04-17-2015, 09:20 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Badass14
Were they a tight fit or was there room left? More less the question im asking is will they get warmer and what is the reason for the extra backing on that headlight bulb. Is it for the extra components it takes to run leds?
I had to move the plug that connects the harness to the splitter for the stock bulbs. It has one of those tabs that you push through a hole and the little ears come out to hold it on. It's the kind where you squeeze the tabs in and pop it out. That plug is right behind the top bulb and it just barely touches it on the back and keeps the bulb from sitting all the way in the ring. Once I popped the clip and moved the plug they fit fine.

The extra backing on the bulb has two purposes, there is a resistor built into this bulb so there is no need for additional electronics connected to this bulb. If you look online some of the LED's have a separate box that you have to install that helps handle the power to the LED and also trick your computer into thinking that there is a normal draw on power. The other reason is that there is a fan built into this to cool the electronics. They don't get that hot on the outside of the casing but my guess is that it gets pretty hot on the inside after running a long time. There is another type that uses a woven copper strap to dissipate the heat.

Mine are installed and I have been using them for a while now. I did notice that after putting them in and out a few times that they are not as tight as they were the first time. I am watching to see if they start turning in the socket and nothing happened yet. I did snug them up when I installed so they aren't loose or anything, just went in easier than the first time but still tighten up.

So far, no problems. I'll be adding another couple hundred miles on this weekend and about 1200 next weekend, if they are still working after that I think we can call them verified.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:26 AM
Badass14
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket67
I had to move the plug that connects the harness to the splitter for the stock bulbs. It has one of those tabs that you push through a hole and the little ears come out to hold it on. It's the kind where you squeeze the tabs in and pop it out. That plug is right behind the top bulb and it just barely touches it on the back and keeps the bulb from sitting all the way in the ring. Once I popped the clip and moved the plug they fit fine.

The extra backing on the bulb has two purposes, there is a resistor built into this bulb so there is no need for additional electronics connected to this bulb. If you look online some of the LED's have a separate box that you have to install that helps handle the power to the LED and also trick your computer into thinking that there is a normal draw on power. The other reason is that there is a fan built into this to cool the electronics. They don't get that hot on the outside of the casing but my guess is that it gets pretty hot on the inside after running a long time. There is another type that uses a woven copper strap to dissipate the heat.

Mine are installed and I have been using them for a while now. I did notice that after putting them in and out a few times that they are not as tight as they were the first time. I am watching to see if they start turning in the socket and nothing happened yet. I did snug them up when I installed so they aren't loose or anything, just went in easier than the first time but still tighten up.

So far, no problems. I'll be adding another couple hundred miles on this weekend and about 1200 next weekend, if they are still working after that I think we can call them verified.

Thanks for the update and the info. It's definitely worth a try at the price. I'm gonna give them a try. Thanks again

Old 04-17-2015, 12:13 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Badass14
Thanks for the update and the info. It's definitely worth a try at the price. I'm gonna give them a try. Thanks again
Your quite welcome. I like the fact that I could get the color of light I wanted without having to break the bank. Initially I just wanted to match the CD Bullet Ringz but got a pretty good boost in headlight as well. A couple of nights ago I was riding and don't feel the need to use high beam now.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:16 PM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Well I read both posts about these lights and figured I'd jump in on the action so I went to the link and there on there way.

Batman

Old 04-17-2015, 12:17 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by batman.
Well I read both posts about these lights and figured I'd jump in on the action so I went to the link and there on there way.

Batman

Old 04-27-2015, 09:25 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Default ***update***

Just finished a 4 day 1100 mile ride in the Hill Country and these lights are doing just fine. No issues at all and they are bright as heck. My friend just installed HID's on his and the light is visibly whiter. I can't say which one is brighter as we never had a chance to do a side by side but his is the '12 light which has a different enclosure and only uses one bulb so not sure if that would be an accurate comparison.

So in conclusion, they work and they are ony $75 bucks. Can't ask for more than that in an LED conversion.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:01 PM
03Custom883
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Good report makes me wanna give this a shot

Old 04-28-2015, 01:58 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 03Custom883
Good report makes me wanna give this a shot
There are these with the fans and the ones that have the copper and synthetic braided strap on the back. If I hadn't bought these already I would be reporting on the other ones. I don't really think there is a difference other than one fits easier but both do fit so I guess either way you go you're good.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:36 PM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Mine arrived yesterday but of course my bike is stuck at the dealer for the clutch recall and tire thread splitting. Soon tho it will be back and I'll be installing these. They look cool if nothing else.

Batman

Quick Reply: Another LED Headlight Thread - Sirius LED Direct Plug H11 Bulbs