Sponsored by:

Infotainment GPS importing

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 07:36 AM
dmize
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Infotainment GPS importing

This seems like a no brainer... but wtf.

I built out a detailed trip on the HD Ride Planner, exported it and imported it into the Infotainment system and it changes the route.

How do I import the route exactly as I built it in HD Ride planner?

Old 04-27-2015, 08:42 AM
A206Driver
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 13 Posts

You have to look what your avoidance setting is (highway etc). You have to select the preference type of trip (scenic, twisty, fastest etc). Then you have to set a waypoint at the beginning and end of the road segment that you want to travel when you build your trip with the HD planner. Then import it, say a prayer if you're religious or cross your fingers or both. Then go buy a garmin Zumo. Or be happy don't worry. Wish I had better news. Setting the waypoints at the beginning and end of your road segment will really help. Good luck my friend!

Old 04-27-2015, 09:06 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by A206Driver
You have to look what your avoidance setting is (highway etc). You have to select the preference type of trip (scenic, twisty, fastest etc). Then you have to set a waypoint at the beginning and end of the road segment that you want to travel when you build your trip with the HD planner. Then import it, say a prayer if you're religious or cross your fingers or both. Then go buy a garmin Zumo. Or be happy don't worry. Wish I had better news. Setting the waypoints at the beginning and end of your road segment will really help. Good luck my friend!
OK, here's my question. You create the route just the way you want the GPS to track, how do you know what preference to choose to make sure the 6.5 follows your exact route? Obviously not "fastest" but which other one? I wish they had a preference to "follow route as imported EXACTLY on the USB" but they don't...thanks!

Old 04-27-2015, 09:07 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by dmize
This seems like a no brainer... but wtf.

I built out a detailed trip on the HD Ride Planner, exported it and imported it into the Infotainment system and it changes the route.

How do I import the route exactly as I built it in HD Ride planner?
Forum member "FinalShot" made a pretty good video that should help you.
Check out this thread:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...n-to-boom.html

Old 04-27-2015, 09:25 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts

The GPS in the bike doesn't care what route you wanted to take, it only cares about what waypoints you feed it. It will calculate the route from waypoint to waypoint based on the algorithms of the route preference setting you are using. If you want to guarantee a certain route you must have enough waypoints laid down to force the GPS to follow only that route.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:48 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by IUOE ROB
OK, here's my question. You create the route just the way you want the GPS to track, how do you know what preference to choose to make sure the 6.5 follows your exact route? Obviously not "fastest" but which other one? I wish they had a preference to "follow route as imported EXACTLY on the USB" but they don't...thanks!
There isn't a GPS out there, that works like you suggest.
Every single one of them has their own mapping software internally and will calculate your route based on their own algorithms.

This isn't just a HD 6.5 infotainment issue.
They all work the same way.

Originally Posted by rwven
The GPS in the bike doesn't care what route you wanted to take, it only cares about what waypoints you feed it. It will calculate the route from waypoint to waypoint based on the algorithms of the route preference setting you are using. If you want to guarantee a certain route you must have enough waypoints laid down to force the GPS to follow only that route.

That is the way all GPS units work.
The HD 6.5 infotainment system works just fine, once you learn how all the features work.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:10 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

To get my routes to look like I want when loaded into 6.5 sys, I use Route Converter to check my exported GPX file to verify it is what I wanted. If not, I modify by adding/dragging waypoints as required. I then save the GPX file & import into 6.5 sys. I also set the 6.5 NAV to use SHORTEST routing. I've had pretty good results this way. Sometimes I'll need to skip the first waypoint because the nav isn't quite accurate enough & will want to loop around but that's about the only issue I've had using this method.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:25 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

All these troubles with trying to get the Boom (perfect name for it) GPS to easily plan a route is ridiculous. I've gone back to writing the route out on paper, then glancing at it as needed.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:24 PM
gwellis
Tourer

Originally Posted by rwven
This is correct! Works great and is super easy!

Old 04-27-2015, 08:29 PM
gwellis
Tourer

Originally Posted by YPD485
All these troubles with trying to get the Boom (perfect name for it) GPS to easily plan a route is ridiculous. I've gone back to writing the route out on paper, then glancing at it as needed.
I myself have no idea what troubles you are referring to?? Easiest navigation software I have ever used.

Quick Reply: Infotainment GPS importing