Sponsored by:

Jake brake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 10:23 PM
gooberhd1
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Jake brake?

I have 14 limited with fp3 and jackpot 2 into 1 pipes. When I decelerate with throttle closed it sounds like 1 or both cylinders are killed. If I crack the throttle any at all the engine/exhaust sounds different. It also changes when rpm drops to a certain point, not sure about rpm maybe 1500. Have done some research and can't find anything. It sounds like a jake brake. Am I imagining things or what

Old 05-06-2015, 12:21 AM
MacTarnahan
Tourer
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts

Believe you are right about one cylinder shutting down. If the "Parade Mode" is active (I can never remember the actual term EITS?) then anytime the air temp is over 80° and you completely cut throttle then the rear cylinder becomes inactive. This is to help keep engine cool in heavy traffic. You can check more in your owner's manual.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:24 AM
gooberhd1
Cruiser

That's what was thinking but my eitms is off

Old 05-06-2015, 07:30 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

No.

The EITMS ONLY activates at idle, and below 3 or 4 mph.

There is no Jacobs brake, or any version thereof on these bikes. The engine will slow, but so will the engine in your car, especially if you manually shift it to a lower gear, the automatic transmission damps that effect.

If you drive a manual transmission, you will heat the same thing, especially if you have a modified exhaust system.

They sound different when there is less fuel to the fire, so to speak.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:09 AM
Yukon42
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Sounds like a fuel map problem. Check your FP3 map.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:49 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

As Chip said, there is no Jake Brake and ETIMS only activates at idle and very slow speeds so this isn't it. You can check your FP3 for deleanment values as maybe the fuel is getting cut off or something?

Old 05-06-2015, 12:52 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Normal and happens all the time. You only really hear it due to the modified exhaust. It's also called engine braking or compression braking.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:54 PM
gooberhd1
Cruiser

Thanks for replies, but it just sounds like something is happening. Sounds different than all the hd's I have had. Been a mechanic all my life so I understand what everyone is saying. Just curious anyway. Sometimes it doesn't do it. Seems like u have to sort of snap throttle closed. We were in Big Bend couple of weeks ago and did a lot of decelerating and really noticed it

Old 05-06-2015, 10:42 PM
Dinger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2007 Softail made that same sound. I had VH Big Shots and the sound was very noticeable. My SGS does it too. Even with stock exhaust, I can hear it. I figure it's merely a function of the fuel injection at zero throttle input and the engine is decelerating to idle.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:39 AM
SGNEWB
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sound you are hearing is a characteristic of a 2:1 exhaust. As others have said, all engines brake and with an aftermarket exhaust it is more noticeable. With a 2:1 exhaust as you now have, this sound is amplified and sounds a bit different. It is called reversion. I just made the switch from a decatted stock header and Jackpot mufflers to a Dragula 2:1 and noticed a huge difference in hearing this sound you describe on decel. It also happens when you are accelerating through the gears (say from 3000 and up) you roll off the throttle quickly and grab the clutch to change gears, you'll hear the engine purr down. I personally LOVE that sound as it sounds like an old built hot rod with high compression but everyone has a different opinion. Bottom line, I doubt anything is wrong with your bike, just ride and enjoy. You may have a little excess fuel on decel but nothing that will damage your motor.

Quick Reply: Jake brake?