Sponsored by:

HOG membership yeah, or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 11:49 PM
KMC1
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default HOG membership yeah, or nay?

It's time to renew.... But I'm not seeing much about the membership that seems to really be worth it....the roadside assistance deal is a one time offer for $100 max... Which is kind of useless IMO.... I'm not seeing much else that has value in it....

What say The Collective?

Old 06-23-2015, 12:22 AM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Save 18% with AT&T it more than pays for its self, with the unlimited family plan it helps.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:40 AM
Xb9rumble
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gwaxley
Save 18% with AT&T it more than pays for its self, with the unlimited family plan it helps.
Huh??

Old 06-23-2015, 12:50 AM
Felix 808
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by KMC1
It's time to renew.... But I'm not seeing much about the membership that seems to really be worth it....the roadside assistance deal is a one time offer for $100 max... Which is kind of useless IMO.... I'm not seeing much else that has value in it....

What say The Collective?

I have the same feelings. Not much that I would use in club.

YMMV

Old 06-23-2015, 01:55 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Depends on the HOG Chapter(s) near you. Here in Los Angeles the number of dealers in a relatively manageable geographic footprint is probably greater than in most areas of the nation. So over the past 5 years or so I was able to visit 5 different Chapters and could have checked on 2 or 3 more. Each was quite different, and this surprised me, although in retrospect maybe it shouldn't have. That said, the 5th one I went to really seems to be a good fit for us. If you have a choice, you might want to take a look at each dealer's HOG Chapter before dismissing the whole thing.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:21 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,696 Likes on 1,029 Posts

I've only been a HOG member since 2004 when I got my first Harley. Before then, I was (and still am) a GWRRA Life member.

We have a great HOG chapter here and my wife and I often attend the meetings and other functions. We sometimes go to our dealership - just because. We sit, talk, meet others there, eat and also serve meals and do other things.

I would add that we spend more time at the Harley dealership than we ever did at the Honda dealership. It just seems more enjoyable.

Our dealer provides a 15% discounts on parts and clothing for all active HOG Chapters members. In my opinion, this is a pretty sharp move - visitors come, see us having a great time - want to be a part of this - and end up buying a bike there.

So, my opinion is - put something in and get something out. If the renewal is simply for HOG to give you a lot of stuff - well, you are probably right, it's not worth it (to you)

Old 06-23-2015, 05:57 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Xb9rumble
Huh??
My thought exactly ..............

Old 06-23-2015, 06:13 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

I'm Diamond Life in the AMA, Life in HOG. Both have their advantages. We travel a lot thus the hotel discount code has more than paid for its self. Sadly, I've had to use the free towing service provided by HOG on trips around the country. So, yeah, I'd say it has paid for its self. Also, the Adam Smith Harley Davidson group of dealerships where I bought my '15 covers the local chapter dues. Also, the HOG hospitality room/tent at major rallies is a members only thing as of the last time I went to Sturgis back in '09.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:21 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Xb9rumble
Huh??
I believe you get an 18% discount on AT&T mobile services with a HOG membership.

For me, it is worth it because I need it to join the local chapter. With the local chapter membership, meeting attendance & some volunteering, I can get up to a 20% discount on all parts, service, clothing, etc.

I know I can get the same through the internet - & save additionally on the sales tax - but if I can get the same discount at me dealer I'll support him first.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:48 AM
Recon4
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I do HOG for the roadside assistance only; $75 for both. I don't join local HOG chapters and never participate in group rides; it's just me and the red head enjoying the ride...

Quick Reply: HOG membership yeah, or nay?