Sponsored by:

My SGS turned into a jet engine.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 07:31 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,308 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Originally Posted by nuttbaggerr
Is this what the shop manual is referring to when it specifies primary fluid quantity of .38oz. wet (scheduled fluid change) vs 45oz. dry (clutch R&R or inner/outer primary cover R&R)? See Table 1-9 page 1.10 of the service manual.
Yes that's what they mean. Seems to me the manual could be a little clearer.
I do think just covering the bottom of the Clutch spring like posted above is correct. Some folks need to be reminded that this is done while the bike is straight up not on the Jiffy stand.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:04 AM
05dlx
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernal
Yes that's what they mean. Seems to me the manual could be a little clearer.
I do think just covering the bottom of the Clutch spring like posted above is correct. Some folks need to be reminded that this is done while the bike is straight up not on the Jiffy stand.
Yes, the level definitely needs to be set while the bike is upright (not on jiffy stand) to get it right otherwise, it will just stream on the floor.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:34 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

I always do the primary o/c with the bike in an upright position.

Last edited by MikeyTX; 07-07-2015 at 06:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-03-2015, 07:48 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Just like dry sex...she needs "lube!"

Old 07-03-2015, 07:52 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

It's possible that the tensioner adjusted itself way too tight and that's what's causing the noise. My brand new Limited was noisy as hell driving it home from the dealer when I bought it 4 days ago.

I took the primary cover off after it had cooled to room temp and the chain was WAY too tight. It took about 10 pounds of force to deflect it 1/8" and that's too damn tight!

Put in a Baker Attitude Adjuster and set the chain to 5/8" slack at the tightest point, as per instructions. Problem solved. Night-and-day difference. No more whirring and it shifts like my Dyna 5-speed now. Neutral is super-easy to find now, too, and shifts are more of a "click" than a "clank-bang".

Also put Redline V-twin lubricants in the Primary and tranny, so that may have helped also. Couldn't be happier!

Disclaimer: I am not in any way affiliated with Baker Drive train Inc. Just a totally satisfied customer.

Last edited by jpooch00; 07-03-2015 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:57 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
It's possible that the tensioner adjusted itself way too tight and that's what's causing the noise. My brand new Limited was noisy as hell driving it home from the dealer when I bought it 3 days ago.

I took the primary cover off after it had cooled to room temp and the chain was WAY too tight. It took about 10 pounds of force to deflect it 1/8" and that's too damn tight!

Put in a Baker Attitude Adjuster and set the chain to 5/8" slack at the tightest point, as per instructions. Problem solved. Night-and-day difference. No more whirring and it shifts like my Dyna 5-speed now. Neutral is super-easy to find now too and shifts are more of a "click" than a "clank-bang".

Also put Redline V-twin lubricants in the Primary and tranny, so that may have helped also. Couldn't be happier!

Disclaimer: I am not in any way affiliated with Baker Drive train Inc. Just a totally satisfied customer.
^^^ Just what I was thinking, too tight.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:16 PM
05dlx
Cruiser

Good stuff guys. I agree the chain may be too tight.. Like I said the oil helped but not totally gone. I'm going back in this weekend and will be replacing the tensioner with an M6 and see how that works. Not a big fan of the Moco's tensioner.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:38 PM
05dlx
Cruiser

OK, so changed out the tensioner with the Hayden M6 and lo and behold quiet as a mouse. I added the additional oil (45oz.) with the bike in the upright position and took it out for a 50mi test ride and the damn thing was very quiet. I do hear a little chain lash again the inner primary when I rev the engine in neutral but nothing significant.

Whew, glad I got that resolved. Was starting to get a little concerned as to the cause but clearly the chain was too tight.

Again, thanks for all who responded.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:10 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by 05dlx
OK, so changed out the tensioner with the Hayden M6 and lo and behold quiet as a mouse. I added the additional oil (45oz.) with the bike in the upright position and took it out for a 50mi test ride and the damn thing was very quiet. I do hear a little chain lash again the inner primary when I rev the engine in neutral but nothing significant.

Whew, glad I got that resolved. Was starting to get a little concerned as to the cause but clearly the chain was too tight.

Again, thanks for all who responded.
Glad you got it sorted out. I went with the Baker Attitude Adjuster and don't have any chain lash noise, but otherwise my experience was the same as yours.

Now, hopefully somebody will come out with an otherwise stock (and affordable) chrome primary cover with the inspection/adjustment port in it.

The brain-dead hack at the MOCO that came up with that less-than-worthless, POS auto-adjuster should get his *** kicked daily for life for putting it on such a great bike.

I wonder how many millions of dollars that piece of junk has cost the MOCO in warranty repairs since they introduced it in '06?

One thing's for sure, I would never have bought my '15 Limited if the Baker unit wasn't available!

Again, I am not affiliated with Baker Drive Train in any way, just a very satisfied customer.

Last edited by jpooch00; 07-06-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:21 PM
Xube
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the kind of post that helps all of us. Thanks for taking the time.

Quick Reply: My SGS turned into a jet engine.....