Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My SGS turned into a jet engine.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 06:42 PM
05dlx
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default My SGS turned into a jet engine.....

Okay, I just completed a inner chrome primary conversion on my 2104 SGS and took the bike out for a ride to this evening. It sounds like a friggin jet engine! Not sure exactly what's happening but it's a terrible whirring sound for lack of a better term. I followed the manual to a tee, torqued everything down as per spec. I reset the chain tensioner with the tie wrap just like explained in the manual. I also found a few YouTube videos as well as advice on this forum, so I feel pretty confident I did the job correctly. I believe it has something to do with the chain tensioner but not sure how to correct it, if it is.

Anyone out there experience something like this and if what did I do wrong? More importantly what I can do to correct it. I don't feel comfortable riding the bike as it is in fear of damaging something further.

Looking forward to your comments and thank you in advance.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:52 PM
bundy43
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

No oil or not enough oil, maybe.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:18 PM
rcrankin
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I agree with Bundy. Different volume is required if you are changing the primary fluid vs removing the inner primary cover. Check the owner or service manual for amounts.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:44 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,829 Likes on 1,209 Posts

I think something is rubbing inside.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:50 PM
Bikerscum
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

If the tensioner shoe has any grooves in it, the chain might be riding in a slightly different spot, rubbing on the sides of the grooves. Did you reinstall the chain in the same direction it was removed?

Old 07-02-2015, 01:23 PM
05dlx
Cruiser
Wink

Ok, here's an update. I only had 32 ounces in the primary before so I just put 32 back in. It wasn't making this noise prior to the change but since my post I put an extra six or so ounces in the primary and it drastically reduced to the sound.

To answer some of your questions, yes the chain is going in the same direction. I took it off as an assembly with the compensator sprocket and the clutch basket attached and set it on a piece of cardboard as an assembly. There was some slight grooves in the tensioner but nothing that would be excessive. The bike only has 6000 miles on it. I am contemplating putting a new aftermarket tensioner in place of the OEM but haven't decided which one yet. It's rideable as it is right now, however, it is still whining a little but it is bearable..

Thank you to everyone who has responded with input is very much appreciated.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:35 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,284 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by 05dlx
Ok, here's an update. I only had 32 ounces in the primary before so I just put 32 back in. It wasn't making this noise prior to the change but since my post I put an extra six or so ounces in the primary and it drastically reduced to the sound.

To answer some of your questions, yes the chain is going in the same direction. I took it off as an assembly with the compensator sprocket and the clutch basket attached and set it on a piece of cardboard as an assembly. There was some slight grooves in the tensioner but nothing that would be excessive. The bike only has 6000 miles on it. I am contemplating putting a new aftermarket tensioner in place of the OEM but haven't decided which one yet. It's rideable as it is right now, however, it is still whining a little but it is bearable..

Thank you to everyone who has responded with input is very much appreciated.

You still need to add oil 45 oz if dry.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:27 PM
05dlx
Cruiser

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll add some additional. The bike will need to be upright to do it as it is full to the bottom of the edge of the primary now.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:48 PM
97 dyna lowrider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the level you want.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:12 PM
nuttbaggerr
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rcrankin
I agree with Bundy. Different volume is required if you are changing the primary fluid vs removing the inner primary cover. Check the owner or service manual for amounts.
Is this what the shop manual is referring to when it specifies primary fluid quantity of .38oz. wet (scheduled fluid change) vs 45oz. dry (clutch R&R or inner/outer primary cover R&R)? See Table 1-9 page 1.10 of the service manual.

Last edited by nuttbaggerr; 07-02-2015 at 07:16 PM.

Quick Reply: My SGS turned into a jet engine.....