Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plug or Replace tire

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 06:23 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,696 Likes on 1,029 Posts

All of this has made me wonder if I should carry a tire kit - been kicky for over 45 years - never a flat on the bike.

I want a tire repair kit this is pretty easy and safe to use. Do any of you have experience with the Stop & Go kit - can get that for around $45 from Amazon.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:28 AM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by flashracer
I just decided to replace the tire. I could not find anyone to patch the tire from inside. Only recommendation was to use a tube. I kept the tire and thought someone might want to buy it. 2088 miles.
Best choice...you only have 2 tires

Old 07-08-2015, 09:49 AM
PosseRider
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Best plug kit on the market imho

Stop & Go Pocket Tire Plugger .. Another happy user,their plug is shaped like an umbrella & won't come out. I have the kit & use the adaptor to pump up tire with the spark plug removed. (remove both,cranks easier & faster)

Old 07-08-2015, 11:40 AM
David Petersen
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The mushroom plug on the Stop and Go kit is installed with the use of 30W motor oil on those plugs. Oil is needed so the plug will slip thru the insertion tool. This means the plug is still coated with oil as it sits in the hole in your tire. There is no vulcanization or any type of glue to hold it in place, so the only thing holding it is friction, and air pressure inside the tire. If you hit a rock at the point of the plug, there's a good chance that plug will pop out of the hole, to the inside of the tire, and the tire will go flat.

For the above reason(s) I stopped using that product.

I recommend a kit that uses strings. Not just any strings, they have to be the type that vulcanize (chemically bond to the rubber of the tire). The string kits you get at your local auto parts store use rubber cement, which does not vulcanize, so you get a repair that is marginal.

The BestRest kit uses vulcanizing strings that were designed for the trucking industry. They chemically bond to the tire and become "one with the rubber". If they can keep air in a tire on a 100,000 pound semi blasting down the road at 80MPH, they'll work in your motorcycle tire. I use them on the road and on the trail with my dirt bikes. They've never let me down. The mushroom plugs have.

https://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-2...epair-kit.aspx

Old 07-08-2015, 02:39 PM
Yukon42
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by David Petersen
The mushroom plug on the Stop and Go kit is installed with the use of 30W motor oil on those plugs. Oil is needed so the plug will slip thru the insertion tool. This means the plug is still coated with oil as it sits in the hole in your tire. There is no vulcanization or any type of glue to hold it in place, so the only thing holding it is friction, and air pressure inside the tire. If you hit a rock at the point of the plug, there's a good chance that plug will pop out of the hole, to the inside of the tire, and the tire will go flat.

For the above reason(s) I stopped using that product.

I recommend a kit that uses strings. Not just any strings, they have to be the type that vulcanize (chemically bond to the rubber of the tire). The string kits you get at your local auto parts store use rubber cement, which does not vulcanize, so you get a repair that is marginal.

The BestRest kit uses vulcanizing strings that were designed for the trucking industry. They chemically bond to the tire and become "one with the rubber". If they can keep air in a tire on a 100,000 pound semi blasting down the road at 80MPH, they'll work in your motorcycle tire. I use them on the road and on the trail with my dirt bikes. They've never let me down. The mushroom plugs have.

https://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-2...epair-kit.aspx
Man, I have NO idea what the heck you're talking about regarding oil on the mushroom plugs! I've used the stop n go kit for a decade. Saw a repair done on a tire that had a 1 inch rock punched through it on the Top of the World Highway...yeah, as in Yukon Territory, middle of no where. Took 5 mushroom plugs to seal that big gapping hole on a BMW GS. Used vulcanizing glue on the plugs. 400 miles later had it at the shop and changed out the tire. It was amazing how the mushroom plugs worked as witnessed by looking on the inside of the tire; all plugged up nice and tight. Shop was so impressed they cut that section of the tire and put it out on their parts counter and started selling the hell out of those kits. Leave the string for flying kites. Stop n Go the only way to go! http://www.stopngo.com/

Last edited by Yukon42; 07-08-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:01 PM
thevirginian
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

How about "Ride-On Sealant and Balancer"? Read and heard all kinds of good stuff about this product. Apply this stuff into both of your tires and you should not have to worry a damn thing anymore. And it's inexpensive too.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:17 PM
David Petersen
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Stop N Go doesn't provide glue with their kit (s). There is no adhesive or vulcanizing compound provided, so you must've used something else.

2. They do use 30 weight oil to lubricate the plugs. We bought them in bulk and repackaged, and we added the oil per Stop & Go recommendation and protocol. Oil is needed to insert the plugs or they will tear apart.

I know these points to be cold hard facts. I used to sell and demonstrate thei mushroom plugging kits at various rallies. I stopped selling them because of the reasons I described above.

I'm glad your Yukon episode had a happy ending, but I don't think other readers would be served if they didn't have all the facts.

Vulcanizing strings can repair 99% of all punctures. For the remaining 1% the strings can be put in side by side for those larger holes.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:33 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

I've used these patches with 100% success for decades. http://safetyseal.com/catalog/index....products_id=77

The kit packaging in the link is new (I just ordered one for my '15 Limited) but the basic product(s) it contains have been around forever.

I also use a foot operated, compact Mini Foot Pump - that I just found out is no longer made, which sucks - instead of an electric unit.

Last edited by jpooch00; 07-09-2015 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:41 AM
Yukon42
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by David Petersen
1. Stop N Go doesn't provide glue with their kit (s). There is no adhesive or vulcanizing compound provided, so you must've used something else.

2. They do use 30 weight oil to lubricate the plugs. We bought them in bulk and repackaged, and we added the oil per Stop & Go recommendation and protocol. Oil is needed to insert the plugs or they will tear apart....
The OP made the correct choice; replace the tire. Many have already posted that plugs should only be used to get you somewhere to have the tire replaced; I agree. Having said that:

I can surely see that adding oil to the plugs would NOT be a good thing; guess that's why I don't add it and don't see in the instructions in my kit where it's recommended. All my plugs are dry, not oily. You are correct, no vulcanizing glue provided with the kit, the glue was bought separately. If people want to use string to plug tires, that's their business. I'll stick with a tire plug thank you.

Last edited by Yukon42; 07-09-2015 at 10:00 AM.