Sponsored by:

Best apes for wrist issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 02:27 PM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master
Received 137 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Best apes for wrist issues

Short read.... but perspective is important on this one...

I put 30k on my 14 Street Glide in about 11 months of riding, and it is my primary form of transportation.

At 35 years old, my body is not what it should be. I will be needing new hips in the next couple years, have had shoulder surgery on my right shoulder and am starting to have issues with both shoulders again. My knees and ankles are shot. My lower back needs fused at L5-S1, and my mid back and neck are starting to have issues as well.

I deal with it and make it work. Riding is my therapy and is needed. It is to the point that I will get a bike with a side car once it comes to the point that I get a service dog. I am slightly limited most days, and able to make it work with a great deal of pain on other days.

The past couple days my left wrist has been killing me far more than the rest of my body though. The pressure placed on my wrist from the grip angle is causing the pain.

I am looking for a set of bars that will put my arms up and closer to even with my shoulders. That should help with my shoulders and back a bit. The biggest thing that I feel will help my wrist would be a set of bars that is more parallel to the fairing and the ground.

I know that in the future a side car, auto shifter and new body will be needed... But I REFUSE to give up riding.

Any input is great, and thanks!

I am 6'3", 205lbs and would like to keep the bars near the top of the fairing.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:16 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Based on your needs - I'd recommend a set of custom bars - check out BR Customs - this might be a good video to start with -

Last edited by JMC22; 07-04-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:25 PM
GroovusMagnus
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Best apes for wrist issues

The grip profile shouldn't be ignored.

GM

Old 07-04-2015, 03:30 PM
Rat Trap
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Have a look at the Klock Werks KlipHanger bars. Not cheap but you can adjust the wrist angle to fit you.

http://www.kustombaggers.com/For-201...atalogId=-1750

Old 07-04-2015, 03:37 PM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master

Originally Posted by GroovusMagnus
The grip profile shouldn't be ignored.

GM
Good point, and I have been thinking about new grips as well. I like the way that the factory grips feel, but have honestly never ridden anything else.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:38 PM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rat Trap
Have a look at the Klock Werks KlipHanger bars. Not cheap but you can adjust the wrist angle to fit you.

http://www.kustombaggers.com/For-201...atalogId=-1750
Those do look like a viable option. Cost at this point is not too big of a worry, so long as it preserves my health and ability to ride.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:40 PM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master

Originally Posted by JMC22
Based on your needs - I'd recommend a set of custom bars - check out BR Customs - this might be a good video to start with - How to spec out and measure up your bike for your new custom bars - YouTube
this guy always makes me laugh a bit. Straight to the point kind of dude. I dig it. I will shoot them an e-mail and see what they can do.

thanks!

Old 07-04-2015, 09:11 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Seventy4blazer
this guy always makes me laugh a bit. Straight to the point kind of dude. I dig it. I will shoot them an e-mail and see what they can do.

thanks!
No doubt the guy is a bit different - but if you follow the video it should at least give you a reference point as to what your looking for with respect to height - pull-back will be difficult as you are limited with tank clearance - then the only other thing that would come into consideration is the angle of the hand grips
I'm your height/weight and I went with 12" Yaffe bars which measure close to 14" in height and my arms are just below parallel and the grips are more parallel with the front fairing than turned inwards like the stock bars

Last edited by JMC22; 07-04-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:21 PM
wpdjoey
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arlen ness also makes modular bars i have a wrist replacement and could adjust the wrist angle on these for my 14 street glide hight is slightly over the faring

Old 07-05-2015, 01:10 PM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master

I think that I need to try to find someone local that has the Yaffee 12" bars. I like the way they look (seems like everyone else does too) but need to sit on them to see how they will feel.

Ill look into the Ness bars as well. they are only about 6 hours away, so maybe I should take a day off work and head up that way and see them in person.

Quick Reply: Best apes for wrist issues