Sponsored by:

HD Nav System is a joke

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 08:36 PM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior

Received 313 Likes on 173 Posts
Default HD Nav System is a joke

I rented a 2015 Limited over the weekend. Awesome machine. Loved everything about it except the Navigation system. Where did the MOCO find that piece of garbage. My 5 year old $89 Garmin Nuvi is far superior. I gave up trying. Wish my handlebar mount for my Garmin would've worked. Some of y'all may have had the the time to figure it out. I read online instructions, never could get it to "save" locations, wouldn't show me the road I was currently on..etc. UGH. Renting again three weeks, same bike. Any tips from anyone or point me to a good video tutorial would be appreciated.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:43 PM
bigrobtemp
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDawgQC
I rented a 2015 Limited over the weekend. Awesome machine. Loved everything about it except the Navigation system. Where did the MOCO find that piece of garbage. My 5 year old $89 Garmin Nuvi is far superior. I gave up trying. Wish my handlebar mount for my Garmin would've worked. Some of y'all may have had the the time to figure it out. I read online instructions, never could get it to "save" locations, wouldn't show me the road I was currently on..etc. UGH. Renting again three weeks, same bike. Any tips from anyone or point me to a good video tutorial would be appreciated.

Take some time to read up on some of the glitches that people have posted on here but overall it is a functional system. I have had my fair share of problems but once I got the settings I wanted it worked pretty good. Still messing with the Ride Planner but stay with it, it is convenient having it.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:46 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

I find it hard to believe you are willing to rate the GPS as a piece of garbage when you had little or no idea how to operate it. jSounds to me like the problem is you and not the GPS system. You say it wouldn't show you the road you are on, I say BS. Never had an issue with that at all. wouldn't it have been more accurate to title this Need Help Operation the GPS??

Old 07-05-2015, 08:52 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

I'm a prior Garmin 660 user and I find the HD version just as good.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:55 PM
Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

I gotta agree that the GPS is the only weak point on my 14 Ultra. My 8 year old Garmin Zumo 450 is a much better device.

rocknride71
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been reading here and there how crappy the GPS is. I just purchased a 2014 and the Navigation works better than the one in my car that's a 2014 as well. Updates help the system as well from what other riders have told me. It's possible you've gotten a glitchy system. I know I love mine. Works great so far!

duckbagger
Road Captain
Received 207 Likes on 120 Posts

I just got back from a week long road trip and found the unit to be functional, but the interface cumbersome. By the time the trip was over it got a lot easier to use.

Not terribly accurate though. Ironically it's worst performance was the pre-programmed dealership in Reno which it missed by at least a quarter of a mile.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:58 PM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 275 Likes on 204 Posts

It is good. Take 20 different GPS units and give it to 20 different people and you'll have 20 different initial opinions.....mostly bad. They all take some getting used to. The worst units that I have used are the ones found on a few cars in the 80+ price range too. After you get acclimated to one, you'll learn to like it and it will work fine. There are glitches but there are also work arounds..in any GPS unit.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:31 PM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Just YouTube what your looking for, It will take the same time as asking the question here on the forum.

Sounds like user error/frustration to me.

I just did an 1800 mile ride and had no problems using my GPS when needed.

My buddy says its junk also, I asked him how much time has he spent trying to learn about it, he said he tried a couple of times and gave up.......lol

The gps may not be as user friendly at first as the portable ones, but once a person learns how to navigate around the menus it is straight forward.

You say the gps did not show what road you were on, did you have it zoomed all the way out? I have never seen/herd of that problem.

Asking for tips, if you like the everything else about the bike you should purchase it, the infotainment center is easy to learn once you spend some time with it.

Are there flaws, absolutely, are there enough flaws to pass on a purchase if you really like everything else about the bike I don't believe so.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:41 PM
Sunnyday91360
Road Captain
Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

ONLY, ONLY problem I've ever had on my system has been cockpit error. I would suggest OP to get that Garmin a 6 years can handle and put it .... never mind. Put it on your moped and have a nice ride.

Quick Reply: HD Nav System is a joke