The Tapping, the quest is over

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 10:28 PM
kylebryan
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default The Tapping, the quest is over

Originally Posted by Bikerscum
Thanks again to all for the patience & support so far. I now have my ROCKOUT rocker inserts available. A lot of time & research has gone into bringing you what I feel is a great product.The kit includes the inserts, 2 Viton O-rings, simple installation hardware, & complete instructions.

Info at rock-out@att.net

More good stuff to come....
What are the o-rings for?

Old 09-07-2015, 10:31 PM
Bikerscum
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kylebryan
What are the o-rings for?
The O-rings go underneath the rocker support plate, in a recess in the rocker box. I recommend you replace them any time the plate is disturbed.

Old 09-10-2015, 04:00 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

Kudus to Bikerscum and Harleycruiser for figuring out and fixing this! I only notice this sound when I put the windshield on, may throw a set of these in over the winter. Thanks!

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
The hole expands inward depending on the body...
Actually, no... a hole always expands outward just like the rest of the part. If the hole got smaller the atoms at the edge of the hole would be moving closer to each other, which is not expansion...

Old 09-10-2015, 05:39 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
Kudus to Bikerscum and Harleycruiser for figuring out and fixing this! I only notice this sound when I put the windshield on, may throw a set of these in over the winter. Thanks!

Actually, no... a hole always expands outward just like the rest of the part. If the hole got smaller the atoms at the edge of the hole would be moving closer to each other, which is not expansion...
we went round and round about this? HA.. that is why I said depending on the body. I agree, this hole get bigger..but read this.

http://physics.stackexchange.com/que...disc-is-heated

Old 09-11-2015, 07:35 PM
jblack902
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Wow!!!! Great thread!!!!

Old 09-12-2015, 04:36 PM
Dale_K
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the kit but I wish someone offered a shouldered bolt of the right dimensions because it seems like a more elegant solution and would be easier when it comes time to take things apart.

On the question of rocker arm end play, has anyone considered the use of wave washers or Bellville washers instead of shims? Basically these are springs in the form of a washer. There wouldn't be any end play yet the spring would allow for expansion as the assembly warms up during operation. I'm not any kind of technical expert, just thinking out loud. Here are a couple of links to the spring washers...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belleville_washer
http://www.seastrom-mfg.com/washerre...+Spring+Washer

Old 09-12-2015, 07:56 PM
Stansuski
Cruiser
Default Read directions

I just finished installing my lockers, I have seen numerous people saying how easy it was, no need to loosen rocker plate and just remove covers , back out the bolts where lockers go , install lockers and "presto" your done, I should have known better my own fault. The "easy way" may work for some but I was not one of them. I spent 6 yes 6 hours doing mine because when you don't loosen all 4 bolts on rocker plate and also 2 breather screws it does not let the rocker plate index it self causing the lockers to go in too hard and when torquing to 22 pounds it flared one of the lockers just like a brake line, so I ended up with a locker flared at the end and stuck in the rocker plate, to make matters worse it was impossible to remove the rocker plate to put on bench to remove locker, this may be due to my new Glide Pro front mount positioning the engine slightly different, I finally put plate back in place and carefully used my die grinder with a pad to remove the flare and get locker back flush with plate, then I went back to front cylinder and took cover back off and then loosened the rocker plate ,inspected lockers and assembled properly by the book and instructions, all is well now and it has made the ticking go away in the 2-3000 range. So unless you are normally lucky just do it the long way it will take a lot less time.
Stan

Old 09-12-2015, 08:34 PM
Bikerscum
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW with my ROCKOUT kits I recommend doing the job on the bench, & include the O-rings & installation hardware to do so. It may seem a little more time consuming at first, but I think it's worth it.

ROCK-OUT@att.net

Last edited by Bikerscum; 09-13-2015 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:51 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Stansuski
I just finished installing my lockers, I have seen numerous people saying how easy it was, no need to loosen rocker plate and just remove covers , back out the bolts where lockers go , install lockers and "presto" your done, I should have known better my own fault. The "easy way" may work for some but I was not one of them. I spent 6 yes 6 hours doing mine because when you don't loosen all 4 bolts on rocker plate and also 2 breather screws it does not let the rocker plate index it self causing the lockers to go in too hard and when torquing to 22 pounds it flared one of the lockers just like a brake line, so I ended up with a locker flared at the end and stuck in the rocker plate, to make matters worse it was impossible to remove the rocker plate to put on bench to remove locker, this may be due to my new Glide Pro front mount positioning the engine slightly different, I finally put plate back in place and carefully used my die grinder with a pad to remove the flare and get locker back flush with plate, then I went back to front cylinder and took cover back off and then loosened the rocker plate ,inspected lockers and assembled properly by the book and instructions, all is well now and it has made the ticking go away in the 2-3000 range. So unless you are normally lucky just do it the long way it will take a lot less time.
Stan
Stan glad it quieted down your motor, sorry you had a problem. I will send a new set or refund your money, let me know.
The instructions specifically state to loosen all four bolts and the breather bolts. If you don't it keeps a load on the shaft and binds it, The shaft will not turn and the locker will not pull past it, making it difficult to pull in.
Is it better to take the plate off and do it on the bench, absolutely.
This is especially true of older high mileage motors where the shaft might me galled and frozen in the plate, best to do it on the bench were you can see it pull in. But in all honesty on these motors you don't need the shaft locked.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:45 AM
Stansuski
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Harleycruiser
Stan glad it quieted down your motor, sorry you had a problem. I will send a new set or refund your money, let me know.
The instructions specifically state to loosen all four bolts and the breather bolts. If you don't it keeps a load on the shaft and binds it, The shaft will not turn and the locker will not pull past it, making it difficult to pull in.
Is it better to take the plate off and do it on the bench, absolutely.
This is especially true of older high mileage motors where the shaft might me galled and frozen in the plate, best to do it on the bench were you can see it pull in. But in all honesty on these motors you don't need the shaft locked.
Harleycruiser, I appreciate your offer, my fault not yours, your product fit well, I knew I should have followed the instructions you provided, I will just order another set when I remove rockers again,I hope this helps some of the others to do job correctly the first time, it may take longer but not really.
Thanks,Stan

Quick Reply: The Tapping, the quest is over