2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjust passenger headset volume from up front?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 06:08 PM
Barmats
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Adjust passenger headset volume from up front?

I am using a Sena SM10 Bluetooth transmitter plugged into the front DIN connector to send the bike's audio and GPS to my Sena wireless headset. I'd like to use the rear DIN connector - reroute it into the tourpack so the SM10 has power, signal and is concealed. But... I think the only means of controlling the rear DIN headset connector is through the passenger volume control switch on the right side of the seat.

I've looked through the setup and don't see any means of controlling the rear headset volume from up front. Has anyone run across this before and know of a way to do this?

Old 07-12-2015, 08:46 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Barmats
I am using a Sena SM10 Bluetooth transmitter plugged into the front DIN connector to send the bike's audio and GPS to my Sena wireless headset. I'd like to use the rear DIN connector - reroute it into the tourpack so the SM10 has power, signal and is concealed. But... I think the only means of controlling the rear DIN headset connector is through the passenger volume control switch on the right side of the seat.

I've looked through the setup and don't see any means of controlling the rear headset volume from up front. Has anyone run across this before and know of a way to do this?
Interesting. I have the Sena 20S and just bought a CVO Road Glide. Do you know if the Bluetooth transmitter will work with the 20S ? Can you still talk bike to bike while getting your music and GPS routed through your Sena's ?

Old 07-12-2015, 10:51 PM
Barmats
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sailrider 1
Interesting. I have the Sena 20S and just bought a CVO Road Glide. Do you know if the Bluetooth transmitter will work with the 20S ? Can you still talk bike to bike while getting your music and GPS routed through your Sena's ?
Yes and yes. Pair the SM10 to your 20S and feed the SM10 audio from the bike. Intercom functionality is not affected by Bluetooth connections.

It's too bad that HD missed the boat on this by a) not providing HFP with their Bluetooth, and b) failing to offer even a proprietary wireless headset that interfaces with the Rushmore models.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:22 AM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Barmats
Yes and yes. Pair the SM10 to your 20S and feed the SM10 audio from the bike. Intercom functionality is not affected by Bluetooth connections.

It's too bad that HD missed the boat on this by a) not providing HFP with their Bluetooth, and b) failing to offer even a proprietary wireless headset that interfaces with the Rushmore models.
Thanks !ordering one today.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:25 AM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior

One more question. Does the SM10 connection allow you to use the Sena Bluetooth headset to talk on your bikes CB ?

Old 07-15-2015, 09:44 AM
Afdharley
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Short answer is no.

I think there's a few work around a out there but basically the Boom system is on,y set up to Bluetooth a phone, not headsets.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:26 AM
Barmats
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sailrider 1
One more question. Does the SM10 connection allow you to use the Sena Bluetooth headset to talk on your bikes CB ?
No, the SM10 is one way only and doesn't give you any way of sending a signal back. You can only receive... so you could hear the CB but not talk. Sena makes an SR10 unit that's designed for 2-way radios, but I'm not sure if it works with CB. Plus, the SR10 is mono only so you wouldn't want to use it for music.

In regards to my original question, I think the answer is NO. The only way to adjust the passenger headset output from the rear DIN connector is by using the v/c on the right-side backrest. The front connector on the tank could be routed back into the tour pack, and I'm considering doing that. Or, leaving the front connector in place as is, disconnecting the wiring (or adding a new cable in parallel) and running this into the tour pack.

One final thing, which I know has been brought up before -- when using the accessory power jack in the fairing to power 12VDC to the SM10, there's a fair bit of induced electrical noise. This does not occur when running the SM10 off the battery. Unfortunately, I've found the SM10's battery life to be significantly less than that of the Sena headsets (only about 5-6 hrs), so there's a tremendous convenience in running it off the bike's power. I'll probably look for a ground loop isolator to eliminate this noise.