Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak on 2015 limited at 33 miles!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 10:24 AM
Skully
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My primary cover was replaced under warranty after the 1000 mile service. Took two return trips and lots of fluid leaking on the left tail pipe...

Old 07-31-2015, 10:41 AM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as someone had said earlier, I have had good service and bad service experiences at the same dealerships. there are 3 dealerships within what I call driving distance from me. the 3rd one is about 60 miles away but for good service I would ride there. although I now just go to anindy dealer for all my work because I know one of the techs and he is the only one who works on my rides

Old 09-25-2015, 06:43 PM
ultra_classic
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GeneseeGap
The problem w/ the good dealer vs. bad dealer threads will be things change as staff changes.

I have had good and bad service from the same dealer over the years. I have two dealers (owned by the same folks) about the same distance from my house....about 3 miles.

I go to both. I have had bad service from both and good service from both...
ditto to this, its all about the people and the shop culture from the top down to the floor sweeper. some shops get it most don't

Old 09-25-2015, 06:50 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,603 Likes on 5,172 Posts

This is why the dealers name should be posted. Others have a right to know who to avoid and who to spend their cash with. Just as with **** poor Indys, HD dealers need to be held accountable and run out of business if they don't get it right.
When I purchased my 2016 another dealer ask why I did not give them a shot at it. I explained to him I heard one of his people tell a man flat out if he did not run HD oil his warranty was void. Lies like that are not a place I would spend my cash.

Last edited by smitty901; 09-25-2015 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:01 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Originally Posted by nightrain116
Sorry if it wasn't clear. In a nut shell. first time into shop dealer tried a new main drive gear seal. they trailered it back to my house. when I came home I started it up drove it into my garage. Had a bigger puddle. The second time they ended up replacing the actual main drive gear. (there are 2 seals in the main gear.) It fixed the leak. however now I have a saddle bag that doesn't shut properly.

They are actually 3 including the quad ring..(like a square o-ring) It's probably easy to nick when they put the transmission together. There is 3 shaft (two with splines) sliding thru that main drive gear. You are right. You want your service man in no hurry when he's in that deep on a brand new bike and I bet warranty work pays him half what a non warranty fix of this type does.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-25-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:09 PM
ric_mackie
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dago_RoadKing
If it were me. An oil leak at 33 miles would equal the dealer swapping me out to a new bike. Thats not an issue I would be willing to risk in the long run. The @$$hole tech would just be icing on the cake.
I had a Saturn that leaked transmission oil at 20 miles. Saturn went to San Francisco (from San Jose), got another brand new Saturn, did ALL the paperwork ahead of time, and swapped out the car. What the OP went through was the polar opposite. Ridiculous. Sh** happens. Can't knock anyone for that. It's how you handle the sh** that makes a difference.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:41 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by ric_mackie
I had a Saturn that leaked transmission oil at 20 miles. Saturn went to San Francisco (from San Jose), got another brand new Saturn, did ALL the paperwork ahead of time, and swapped out the car. What the OP went through was the polar opposite. Ridiculous. Sh** happens. Can't knock anyone for that. It's how you handle the sh** that makes a difference.
...And yet, Saturn's out of business but the MOCO and its half-a$$ed dealerships still keep on getting away with the same BS year after year.

Sad!

Old 09-26-2015, 07:16 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,392 Likes on 21,384 Posts

1. I would learn how to do the work myself if you have a notion do so?

2. I would start looking for an indy (who has a good reputation)who does not mind if you want to stay in the shop and watch and or even help.

3. Start going to a different dealership if you have to stay w/a dealer.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:42 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

That tech and I would have had a problem on the spot and I mean a real problem as soon as I saw him throwing **** around and the owner of that dealer would have ordered me a new saddlebag or I would have called the moco and if necessary called a lawyer just to **** with the dealer. What happened to you is unacceptable, and they wonder why we don't have loyalty to dealers.
One of my best friends just bought a 16 RGU, he tried to deal with the dealer we are HOG Chapter members with but they weren't willing to work with him so he went to another dealer in the valley and they dealt with him and gave him exactly what he wanted in the first place.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:59 AM
Longridertx
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 99 Posts

I read this thread from the beginning since I will be picking up my new 15 ultra classic today. Guess I have something to be on the lookout for. I too have 2 dealers here locally......one being **** poor in the service/customer service department, and the other being pretty good about taking care of me. I nearly got arrested at the **** poor dealer. Been really pleased with the other dealer since only 1 tech ever touches my bike. I may have to wait a few days or even a week or more for my tech to get to my bike as he is in high demand but it is well worth the wait. I KNOW I would have been arrested had I seen a tech do to my bike what the OP saw done to his. I also have a pretty good indy I use as well.

Quick Reply: Oil leak on 2015 limited at 33 miles!