Sponsored by:

Coolant level dropping...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 07:47 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Coolant level dropping...

I've got 1400 miles on my '15 Limited now and I've been seeing a very slow, yet constant, drop in the coolant level as the miles add up.

Now it's down about 5/16 to 3/8 of an inch from the full line. I've never added any coolant and can't find any leaks. The bike's been conservatively ridden at all times with trips up into the mountains and some riding in 100*+ temps with no overheating, pinging, detonation, or any other issues.

just for the heck of it, I called a dealership "tech" and he said that "they sometimes consume coolant" as if it's totally normal, so no help from the brain-dead section.

Anybody else notice this on their bikes and is it something I should be concerned about (yet)? I've seen the horror story threads about disappearing coolant, but it's usually a lot faster loss than I'm seeing. It seems like I remember seeing a couple of posts that said that their bikes used a little coolant at first, but that it eventually stopped.

Also, is there a source for smaller containers of H-D brand coolant for topping up the bottle? $22.00/gal. from a stealer seems a little pricy to get the ounce or so that I actually need.

Otherwise, the bike runs and performs perfectly, other than a one-time glitch with the clutch, which flushing and bleeding with fresh fluid seems to have fixed.

Any and all advice and info is VERY much appreciated and welcome!

Old 08-03-2015, 07:57 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

When I first got my '14 Limited, the coolant dropped off just like yours. I didn't have any leaks. I just took it to the dealer and let them top it off. No need to buy any. The coolant system is a real pain to get fully purged of air, so unless you have a leak it probably just purged a little bit of air.

In addition, the same thing happened after my 30K coolant flush & fill. My coolant bottle went completely empty while on a 5500 mile trip for the same thing. I just rode it until I got home and had no issues (at least 2K miles with an empty bottle, but the fans were kicking on as expected so I knew I had coolant). Dealership topped it off after I got home and it has been good since then. Next time I will have the coolant flush done at lease 5k miles before a long trip to give it a chance to finish purging the air.

Last edited by MilesOfTexas; 08-03-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:12 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Thumbs up Thanks for the help and info!

Originally Posted by MilesOfTexas
When I first got my '14 Limited, the coolant dropped off just like yours. I didn't have any leaks. I just took it to the dealer and let them top it off. No need to buy any. The coolant system is a real pain to get fully purged of air, so unless you have a leak it probably just purged a little bit of air.

In addition, the same thing happened after my 30K coolant flush & fill. My coolant bottle went completely empty while on a 5500 mile trip for the same thing. I just rode it until I got home and had no issues (at least 2K miles with an empty bottle, but the fans were kicking on as expected so I knew I had coolant). Dealership topped it off after I got home and it has been good since then. Next time I will have the coolant flush done at lease 5k miles before a long trip to give it a chance to finish purging the air.
Thank you so much for the reassuring reply! I was thinking along those same lines, but it's good to know that that's probably all it is.

Ride safe and be well,

JP

Old 08-03-2015, 08:30 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

Mine dropped a bit in the beginning too, I now have almost 10K miles and no more dropping for at least the last year. I used to carry around around a quart container of coolant, got rid of that a long time ago. And I believe PEAK makes the coolant for Harley, you can get a gallon of their's for around $12. You have to buy a certain one, don't remember which but do a search, I know there's been a few threads on the subject. Good luck and safe riding!

Old 08-03-2015, 09:00 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Peak Global Lifetime coolant is what you want. I think I've had to add a couple ounces of coolant to my limited last season, I started this season topped up and I just checked yesterday after my ride and it's still holding at the same level after several thousand miles of riding. If you want, you can manually turn on your water pump and let it run for a while, that may help burp out any air that might still be in there.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:02 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,697 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Interesting - mine also dropped after the dealer did the initial recall for the neck.

I took it back in, they found no leaks and topped it off. Has not been dropping since.

Maybe the dealers will learn that tis is normal after any work is performed, etc -and top if off after riding for a short time. In my case, they spent a lot of time looking for a leak - when this practice is somewhat normal.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:31 AM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

2015 LTD...coolant down about 1/4" after about 2.5k miles and holding steady, mileage at 4.7k miles...I didn't want to buy the gallon of coolant either...will just have the dealer top off at my "included" 5k service...

Old 08-03-2015, 10:10 AM
scottman50
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I Have 14 Limited CVO. Did the same thing about 1500 mikes. Took a whopping 1-1/2 oz. to fill up. Got 6k now no more loss.
I think they just need to fart when new.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:45 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,300 Likes on 1,906 Posts

And then there is always a Horror story:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...015-ultra.html

Old 08-03-2015, 03:21 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

Wanted to send out a big thank you to all the folks who took the time to post their replies and experiences and assuage my fears about this.

I was hoping that it was just a little air working its way out, but I was a little paranoid after seeing some of the issues people have had with coolant loss.

Thanks again, and y'all ride safe!

JP

Quick Reply: Coolant level dropping...