Sponsored by:

Creating Routes with Basecamp

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 03:49 PM
tringle
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Creating Routes with Basecamp

Will I be able to successfully create a route with Basecamp and import it to the Infotainment GPS? I've used Basecamp for several years with a lot of success with my Zumo. A friend of mine, who has a 2014, imported a route that I created on Basecamp and he had problems with the route. My Zumo was flawless. I've tried using the HD Ride Planner and the system breaks up the route into multiple routes. If I'm using Ride Planner, should I be using Locations or Waypoints? I always use waypoints in Basecamp. The waypoints on HD ride planner don't work very well. I'm planning to trade my 09 for a 2016 and want to get ride of my Zumo if I can successfully master the Infotainment GPS. Any advice? Thanks!

Old 08-06-2015, 03:55 PM
Custardglide
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, Basecamp works fine with the Infotainment satnav, I tried Rideplanner when I got my first Rushmore, but I found it to be a complete PITA, now it's Basecamp all the way. You might wanna hold on to the Zumo for a while tho!!

Ady

Old 08-06-2015, 04:03 PM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Basecamp is all I use now for the Boom Nav system and it works great. It seems to work the best, IMO.

When you import the gpx file to the bike's Nav system, make sure you only select the single gpx file, do NOT select individual waypoints to import, or anything else... import only the gpx file, the gpx file already contains the waypoints and locations.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:09 PM
tringle
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by caberto
Basecamp is all I use now for the Boom Nav system and it works great. It seems to work the best, IMO.

When you import the gpx file to the bike's Nav system, make sure you only select the single gpx file, do NOT select individual waypoints to import, or anything else... import only the gpx file, the gpx file already contains the waypoints and locations.
Great news! When you stop at a location along your route will the infotainment gps automatically start from where you stopped?

Old 08-06-2015, 04:18 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tringle
Great news! When you stop at a location along your route will the infotainment gps automatically start from where you stopped?
Yes, there are no issues with it resuming where it left off.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:23 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts

Another vote for BaseCamp. Works well with the BoomBox.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:55 AM
RonaldNC
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I've tried Ride Planner and it wasn't great. Switched to Basecamp and have been using it ever since. The only problem that I have is that Basecamp's (Garmin's) maps are much more up-to-date than the Infotainment system. Once in a while, the waypoints don't match up and you may have to skip that waypoint.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:43 AM
Dago_RoadKing
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creating Routes with Basecamp

I've been looking at Basecamp and have installed it on my computer. Stupid question. Do I need to purchase maps to use it with the Boom Box system?

Old 08-07-2015, 01:27 PM
tdkkart
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dago_RoadKing
I've been looking at Basecamp and have installed it on my computer. Stupid question. Do I need to purchase maps to use it with the Boom Box system?

There's a question, every time I've attempted to use Basecrap it's always wanted my GPS plugged into the computer. How does one do it with the Infotainment system??

I say attempted because I don't think `I've ever actually completed a route with it. Frustrates the hell out of me, WAY more complicated than it needs to be.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:29 PM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dago_RoadKing
Yes, unfortunately you need to purchase and import a map to BaseCamp... However, if you already have a Garmin GPS, the map is already included with your GPS purchase, and you can use the same map for BaseCamp.

Quick Reply: Creating Routes with Basecamp