Sponsored by:

Warning on modifications re: Factory Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 08:13 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
My deal with the whole issue boils back down to what I've sad all along and will keep say'n it. Your warranty and the coverage is as good as your dealer.
Pretty much. My dealer did my 107 (Using S&S parts) on the Ultra. When it spun a crank the Moco covered it. They even worked with me to give me a credit of the stock crank towards having mine welded.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:39 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Pretty much. My dealer did my 107 (Using S&S parts) on the Ultra. When it spun a crank the Moco covered it. They even worked with me to give me a credit of the stock crank towards having mine welded.
I actually had a dealer sales guy, and also the service writer at the same dealership, tell me (with straight faces, no less) that all the Rushmore bikes came from the factory with a welded crank ! What total, lying-to-my-face BS!

Needless to say, I bought my '15 Limited at another dealership.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:51 PM
Second Wind
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

As stated earlier.. Some dealers are all about costumer service and want your repeated business and others don't give a crap.

My local dealer gave me the runaround about the bag recall.. A bunch of us went on a ride and stopped at another dealer we were passing 70 miles away so I asked the service guy about it and he told me to pull the bike in and he was done in 10 minutes.. Needless to say 3 of us had it done. Service guy said easy warranty money for the dealer and was happy to do it..

Old 10-04-2015, 09:41 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
I actually had a dealer sales guy, and also the service writer at the same dealership, tell me (with straight faces, no less) that all the Rushmore bikes came from the factory with a welded crank ! What total, lying-to-my-face BS!

Needless to say, I bought my '15 Limited at another dealership.

I read somewhere on here that a salesman told a perspective buyer that the Limited Low doesn't come with heated grips because the technology doesn't exist to make them that small (they have reduced size grips).

Lying.... or just dumb?

Guess it doesn't matter in the end lol.

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 10-05-2015, 07:43 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikerscum Products
I read somewhere on here that a salesman told a perspective buyer that the Limited Low doesn't come with heated grips because the technology doesn't exist to make them that small (they have reduced size grips).

Lying.... or just dumb?

Guess it doesn't matter in the end lol.
Sounds like your general, run-of-the-mill Harley dealer to me. "We don't give a f**k and we're proud of it" = The H-D motto since day one!

Old 10-05-2015, 11:58 AM
codpilot
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
Really?

'Cause a '69 beetle has never been required to be smog checked in California as far as I know.
Currently nothing older than 1975 has to be smog checked in California and motorcycles are exempt from smog checking.

I know that dealers and indie shops out there will no longer do much in the way of aftermarket performance stuff on newer model bikes.

I don't really give a damn about it anymore because I moved out of that hell hole 13 years ago.
Yep really. I was there in '86 and helped him swap parts. Even had to have my '67 vette checked, but it was an instant pass.

Got me as to why the difference. All I know is I got to help wrench on a really pretty bug

Old 10-05-2015, 03:29 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,168 Posts

All this warranty/no warranty talk has me hesitant to finish my stage 1 by buying/installing the V&H Dresser Duals. The thing is I don't really have a "dealer" because I bought the bike used from a guy in Florida where it was originally purchased when it was new. I had the clutch & saddlebag recalls done at two different local H-D dealers, but I don't really have a relationship with either one of them. My warranty is up in June 2016, but I'm thinking about purchasing the ESP. So, that throws another wrench in the works. Decisions, decisions...

Old 10-05-2015, 03:43 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
All this warranty/no warranty talk has me hesitant to finish my stage 1 by buying/installing the V&H Dresser Duals. The thing is I don't really have a "dealer" because I bought the bike used from a guy in Florida where it was originally purchased when it was new. I had the clutch & saddlebag recalls done at two different local H-D dealers, but I don't really have a relationship with either one of them. My warranty is up in June 2016, but I'm thinking about purchasing the ESP. So, that throws another wrench in the works. Decisions, decisions...

My suggestion is to decide what local dealer you want to be 'Your' dealer - go and meet with the Service Manager - introduce yourself - tell him your situation and that you want to buy the ESP from that dealer - see what they say

Old 10-05-2015, 05:15 PM
codpilot
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Warning, I am still in the process of verifying, but I was informed if the main warranty was violated then the ESP warranty was too - but I have not received any of that in writing. So grain of salt and all that - but knowing now how things work I'd say it probably is too.

Once you pick one as "your" dealer, if they say it's all good, get it in writing. Good luck!

Old 10-05-2015, 05:24 PM
skeeter 250
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If ESP is cancelled there may be a refund of the unused amount.

Quick Reply: Warning on modifications re: Factory Warranty