Push to Talk Button - Bad Design

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 09:28 PM
freddyb
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Push to Talk Button - Bad Design

The wedge-shaped PTT button is very difficult to operate:
1. If not pushed straight in, the squelch is adjusted by accident.
2. The pointed end of the button is awkward to press.
3. The button is too far from the right grip...making it difficult to keep the right hand on the brake (when stopped) and simultaneously operate the PTT.

Has anybody come up with a mod for the button that makes it easier to use?

Old 09-03-2015, 10:00 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,044 Likes on 7,961 Posts

Yea it would have been nice to have the PTT button on top go the right hand control housing like the one on the left hand controls that changes milage>trip 1>trip 2>miles to go on tank...

Old 09-03-2015, 11:50 PM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by freddyb
The wedge-shaped PTT button is very difficult to operate:
1. If not pushed straight in, the squelch is adjusted by accident.
2. The pointed end of the button is awkward to press.
3. The button is too far from the right grip...making it difficult to keep the right hand on the brake (when stopped) and simultaneously operate the PTT.

Has anybody come up with a mod for the button that makes it easier to use?
Beyond Bad! Watch I have hit kill switch at slow speed trying to work the brake and throttle and talk at the same time. I have also inadvertently turned the squelch down to the point of it being an open mike (not good in a group with you and your passenger talking ) I would love to hear if anyone has changed this. I can say that I had a chance to talk to Harley on this and their answer was that focus groups came up with the request to have it designed this way. WTF WERE THEY THINKING.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:16 AM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

It was designed by someone and signed off on obviously by folks that never threw a leg over a motorcycle. So of course, they wouldn't have a clue where to place the PTT switch for easy operation. As a post above stated, they should have put it in the toggle switch location. Look at where Honda has placed it on the Goldwing since 1988. That is THE perfect location. Just use your left index finger and it works great. But Harley was too stupid to even bother to see what the competition used.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:52 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts

I agree also. The PTT should be where the ODO button is, the ODO button should be where the high/low beam control is, the high/low beam control should be where the horn button is and the horn button should be where the horn button is supposed to be! I do like having a dedicated squelch control, it was a PITA to have to scroll through a menu on my Royal Star Venture....

Old 09-04-2015, 09:52 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by YPD485
It was designed by someone and signed off on obviously by folks that never threw a leg over a motorcycle. So of course, they wouldn't have a clue where to place the PTT switch for easy operation. As a post above stated, they should have put it in the toggle switch location. Look at where Honda has placed it on the Goldwing since 1988. That is THE perfect location. Just use your left index finger and it works great. But Harley was too stupid to even bother to see what the competition used.
Deffntly where I should be, I've had four wings and it's so easy to use there...simple.
Also, why no hand mic? Have had it in the past and was easy to use with half helmet. Don't care for the IMC type headsets....