Sponsored by:

Right cooling fan not coming on

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 09:50 PM
BigEd04
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Right cooling fan not coming on

On two occasions after shutting the '14 Limited down, the left cooling fan runs but the right does not. Took it to a dealer that confirmed the fan is operational, but it did it again afterwards. I have also done the manual turn on with the throttle and both fans come on but the right hesitates a second or two after the left.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas?

I'll take it to a different dealer but would like an idea of what we're dealing with. Thanks.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:25 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by BigEd04
On two occasions after shutting the '14 Limited down, the left cooling fan runs but the right does not. Took it to a dealer that confirmed the fan is operational, but it did it again afterwards. I have also done the manual turn on with the throttle and both fans come on but the right hesitates a second or two after the left.

I'll take it to a different dealer but would like an idea of what we're dealing with. Thanks.
Mine works as advertised and this is the first time I've heard of this problem.

Good luck getting it fixed, especially since you have rely on Harley "techs" to figure it out!

Old 09-03-2015, 11:38 PM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

Can you document it with a video?

Old 09-04-2015, 07:14 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,290 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Big ED
I noticed the right fan has a short delay coming on with both our bikes when testing.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:42 AM
kj68
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Right cooling fan not coming on

My 2014 Limited is like yours. The only time both fans have run together is when I recently reached the top of Pikes Peak!
Kj

Old 09-04-2015, 09:25 AM
BigEd04
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Vernal, thanks very much for posting that. I only have the 2014 Service Manual. I'm just not good enough on electrical to mess with it much. I can run wire and take connectors off and on but that's about it.

Is there anywhere that shows the electrical path when you do the manual turn on of the cooling system. I'm wondering if it completely bypasses the ECM and relays. I'm guessing it would, but I suppose there's a chance it tricks them.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:40 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Vernal, thanks very much for posting that. I only have the 2014 Service Manual. I'm just not good enough on electrical to mess with it much. I can run wire and take connectors off and on but that's about it.

Is there anywhere that shows the electrical path when you do the manual turn on of the cooling system. I'm wondering if it completely bypasses the ECM and relays. I'm guessing it would, but I suppose there's a chance it tricks them.

Thanks again for your help.

The electrical path is the same for either normal or manual operation. The circuits are activated (turned on/off) by the ECM in both cases.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:03 AM
Love Jugs
Former Sponsor
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Good morning. You haven't identified your fan brand but if it's Love Jugs there is no need to bring it to a dealer. In the event of any problem simply e-mail steve@love-jugs.com and we will take care of it for you. In the rare event that a fan is disabled for any reason I will immediately send you a FREE replacement. Love Jugs are designed for a simple plug and play replacement that any rider can do without the expense of hiring a mechanic. If you have a Love Jugs product I want you up and running ASAP so you can enjoy your cool ride. Our service matches our superior products.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:16 AM
Vernal
Club Member

Originally Posted by Hammz
The electrical path is the same for either normal or manual operation. The circuits are activated (turned on/off) by the ECM in both cases.
Hammz is right the ECM turns the fans on, the difference is the input the ECM receives telling it to turn the fans on. In Manual mode I have no idea, my guess is a CAN signal but i'm guessing. When running: the temperature sensor is a thermistor which is just a resistor that's value changes with temperature. When the coolant temperature rises the resistance of the thermister goes down sending more voltage to the ECM and it turns the fans on. There is a separate ECM circuit for each fan, connector 78 1 and 5. I can't find anything in the manuals that says at X voltage one fan comes on and at X+ the second fan comes on.

I like the idea of documenting it with a video, hold a little ribbon by the vent to show air flow.
Good Luck

Old 09-04-2015, 10:20 AM
Vernal
Club Member

Originally Posted by Love Jugs
Good morning. You haven't identified your fan brand but if it's Love Jugs there is no need to bring it to a dealer. In the event of any problem simply e-mail steve@love-jugs.com and we will take care of it for you. In the rare event that a fan is disabled for any reason I will immediately send you a FREE replacement. Love Jugs are designed for a simple plug and play replacement that any rider can do without the expense of hiring a mechanic. If you have a Love Jugs product I want you up and running ASAP so you can enjoy your cool ride. Our service matches our superior products.
Steve he's talking about the Radiator fans on his 2014 wet head.
Great customer service though!