Sponsored by:

Strange CB Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 05:31 AM
Sledger
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange CB Issue

I am having an issue with CB communication between my bike (2012 model) and my wife's 2015 Street Glide.

My CB works fine with people (receive and transmit) and I've never encountered any issues.

Wife's CB works with other Rushmore model as tested in dealership.

However the problem comes when we try and communicate with each other. I can transmit from 2012 model to her 2015 model and I'm heard. But it doesn't work the other way round (I can't hear when she transmits from 2015 to my 2012). Tried multiple channels and headset swaps, but to no avail.

Whilst some may see this as an added feature(!) it is a bit frustrating. Any thoughts?

Old 09-06-2015, 06:20 AM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,115 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Simple fix.

Sounds like you get a new bike

Old 09-06-2015, 06:43 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,696 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Strange indeed. My bet is your dealership did not really test your CB. I suspect he tested to make sure it was receiving.

Try this.... have your wife key the CB - and at the same time, hit the left toggle switch up (make sure she continues to hold the CB key in).

What this does is raises the vol on her CB - so you can hear her.

Last edited by cycle7447; 09-07-2015 at 06:10 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:20 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 508 Likes on 443 Posts

Can anybody else hear her? If so, is your squelch set to high? Does the CB icon on the radio light up when she transmits? That new PTT switch can be awkward to use for somebody with small hands especially while trying to maintain throttle control.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:26 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,696 Likes on 1,029 Posts

14GuineaPig - you have some good points. I did not go down that path because he said that everyone can hear him and he can hear everyone from his bike.

That is what tells me her vol is too low when she transmits.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:53 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 508 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by cycle7447
14GuineaPig - you have some good points. I did not go down that path because he said that everyone can hear him and he can hear everyone from his bike.

That is what tells me her vol is too low when she transmits.

I could be wrong but I don't believe that there is any way to adjust the volume of the transmission other than raising or lowering your voice. The volume of the transmission is adjusted on the receiving unit.

The OP said that he could transmit and receive messages with other bikes so I would suggest that he try to do the same with her bike instead of just relying on the HD tech's opinion that her bike transmits correctly.
Just one other thought, even though the OP mentioned headsets, was that if they are trying to use the HD handheld mic (that worked on pre '14 models) you must use the PTT switch and also press the switch on the mic to make it work - a two handed operation.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:55 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 574 Likes on 416 Posts

Here's something else to check: unplug & replug the connectors to her headset. Also make sure the microphone is in front of & close to her mouth.

Also, the Rushmore models have known issues regarding the tune of the CB antenna. A high VSWR can lower the power output & effective radiated power (ERP) of the CB.

Two things to check here - make sure the squelch level of the 2012 is set low enough for a weaker signal to break the squelch. For testing purposes, I would lower that squelch setting all the way so that air static noise can be heard before testing the transmit of the 2015.

The other side of this is going to be checking the newly installed CB antenna & cabling. There should be an in-line Motorola style connector that is exposed to any moisture/rain the bike encounters & is NOT waterproof. If that connector shows signs of corrosion, carefully clean both sides with emery cloth, then use dielectric grease to help prevent future corrosion. Ask the dealer to verify what VSWR reading they obtained on the antenna installation. Ideally this reading should be 1.1:1 but if it's roughly 2.5:1 or less, that should allow acceptable performance.

Since the CB, antenna & headset connectors are dealer-installed options, as well as the PTT switch, I would put the burden of demonstrating the CB works properly onto the dealership. There is no differences in Channel frequencies between the 2012 & 2015.

Last edited by Hammz; 09-06-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:37 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammz
Here's something else to check: unplug & replug the connectors to her headset. Also make sure the microphone is in front of & close to her mouth.

Also, the Rushmore models have known issues regarding the tune of the CB antenna. A high VSWR can lower the power output & effective radiated power (ERP) of the CB.

Two things to check here - make sure the squelch level of the 2012 is set low enough for a weaker signal to break the squelch. For testing purposes, I would lower that squelch setting all the way so that air static noise can be heard before testing the transmit of the 2015.

The other side of this is going to be checking the newly installed CB antenna & cabling. There should be an in-line Motorola style connector that is exposed to any moisture/rain the bike encounters & is NOT waterproof. If that connector shows signs of corrosion, carefully clean both sides with emery cloth, then use dielectric grease to help prevent future corrosion. Ask the dealer to verify what VSWR reading they obtained on the antenna installation. Ideally this reading should be 1.1:1 but if it's roughly 2.5:1 or less, that should allow acceptable performance.

Since the CB, antenna & headset connectors are dealer-installed options, as well as the PTT switch, I would put the burden of demonstrating the CB works properly onto the dealership. There is no differences in Channel frequencies between the 2012 & 2015.

Seems like the stock SWR on the Rushmore bikes is 3.5, which is horrible.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:16 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

We are also having issue with one of our Limited CB crackles a lot she has been complaining for a while. So today I swap the CB Modules and unplug some new added electronics and went for ride then change helmets no luck, made an appointment to take it in. Service manager said they have few complaints and they are having hard time figuring it out and he is training one tech specifically to deal with the infotainment issues.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:51 PM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

If you have a Boom Box 19.0 or higher download you can not hear your voice in the head set when transmitting on the CB or the intercom. Other people can hear you on the CB and passenger can hear you on the intercom. Earlier downloads you could shut the CB off and then back on in order to hear what you are saying but not anymore. Yes it is frustrating but there does not seam to be any way around it.

Quick Reply: Strange CB Issue