Sponsored by:

Road Glide Ultra LOW ... maybe

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 11:52 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Road Glide Ultra LOW ... maybe

Do you think Harley will build an RGU Low? What do you think the odds are? Maybe you heard something about it already?

At 5'6" with a 29 inseam I felt the low versions of the Limited and Classic fit me perfect. However I got a great deal on a new 2014 FLHTCU last February. So when my Tour Glide was wrecked last year I moved to the Batwing.

I just had to check out the '16 RGU. Test ride last Thursday really showed me the difference in the 2 Rushmores.

I liked the changes for '16 like the bars, re-positioned fairing and infotainment center and the narrow, seemingly lowered / moved forward seat. With the seat change I felt comfortable using the new bars and holding the bike up. (still can't comfortably reach the kickstand or put it down without a lot of fumbling around). Also the slim primary cover is nice.

I put the reduced reach seat on my FLHTCU or I would not have been safe using the bike. I also added the kickstand extension which works perfectly.

The RGU handled like the Tour Glide and even at 80 on the expressway with a heavy gusting wind it felt much smoother and more stable than when I took my FLHTCU over the same stretch of e-way.

Even though the infotainment center is rated 75 watts and it uses 6.5 speakers the sound is not as clear or loud as the 4.3 on my current ride. I also noted the wind noise with the fairing still further out than the Tour Glide or the batwing.

I did not find the center fairing vent very useful. MAYBE if they would have a variable control for the vents so you could adjust the amount of wind coming through them would be such a better idea. I opened the center vent on the e-way and the wind was excessively strong blasting me right in the face. It annulled the benefits of the fairing and windshield. And this is the vent, I'm told, allows for better slip-streaming of air and less head buffeting. Like I said without a variable adjustable vent this seems really odd compared to the batwing's center vent which reshapes wind-flow nicely up the back side of the windshield, not in your face!

I felt the dual cool system is a lot less problem prone to issues now that it's been out there for a few years and the improved torque of it's 103 is noticeable, compared to my 103 air cooled Ultra Classic. I understand too that the new 110 kit, if you really need it, is a simple upgrade with the existing cam in this wet head 103.

Cost is really prohibitive to buy the current RGU and then lower it. So I would like to see them add a RGU Low to their lineup.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:20 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

You can build one yourself... they're the same chassis... and it's not that expensive.

"Lowering the bike" consists of a set of shocks, you can get take offs here for a hundred bucks, or the premiums for 2-3.

What you need is... seat, narrow primary cover, shocks, maybe bars.

Easy peasy.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:32 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If a person really wanted to - you could lower an RGU, front and back for around $300 in parts. Two new damper rods and springs from LTD Lo (not the cartridge) and a set of take off 12 shocks, fork seals and fluid - Done. I'm thinking of doing it to me Ultra and instal Ricors and different shocks later.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:43 PM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
You can build one yourself... they're the same chassis... and it's not that expensive.

"Lowering the bike" consists of a set of shocks, you can get take offs here for a hundred bucks, or the premiums for 2-3.

What you need is... seat, narrow primary cover, shocks, maybe bars.

Easy peasy.
Shocks and seat, the 16 RGU already has the narrow primary cover.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:22 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for your thoughts.

I had switched my Tour Glide to lower SG style Air Rides and it was never comfortable.

Isn't there's more to the Lows. Different kickstand, different bars, different seat (which I've already tried the 14/15 version and it's way too wide for me) and other items too I suspect.

I'd like to see a lowered version as stock without having to change the forks and rear shocks, seat, kickstand and whatever else is involved. If it's from the factory it (should) be designed for lowered features.

I have noted the lower models cost more too!

Old 09-22-2015, 06:28 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Thanks for your thoughts.

I had switched my Tour Glide to lower SG style Air Rides and it was never comfortable.

Isn't there's more to the Lows. Different kickstand, different bars, different seat (which I've already tried the 14/15 version and it's way too wide for me) and other items too I suspect.

I'd like to see a lowered version as stock without having to change the forks and rear shocks, seat, kickstand and whatever else is involved. If it's from the factory it (should) be designed for lowered features.

I have noted the lower models cost more too!
The Low models have:
Reach Bars
Skinny, non heated grips
Reach Seat
Narrow Primary covers (std on all 16 touring models)
Assist & Slip Clutch
Single Cartridge Profile Low Front Suspension
Profile Low, Hand Adjustable shocks

Jiffy Stand is different but I from those who have compared the two side by side and/or measured them - only difference is the extended tab to make it easier to reach, otherwise its the same.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:42 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm finding out quite a bit more about the situation. Sounding easier to lower the bike myself.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:54 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,604 Likes on 5,172 Posts

The 2016 RGU comes with the narrow primary already from the factory. So it would not take much to lower it more for anyone. Quick swap to either RG shocks or to any after market lowering shocks and or a slight trim on the seat.
I had my seat shaved a bit on the sides to get a little more inseam back.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:14 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by smitty901
The 2016 RGU comes with the narrow primary already from the factory. So it would not take much to lower it more for anyone. Quick swap to either RG shocks or to any after market lowering shocks and or a slight trim on the seat.
I had my seat shaved a bit on the sides to get a little more inseam back.
I'm using a reduced reach seat on my Classic, which would be nice to try on the Road glide because it may be just the ticket for being able to touch the ground easily when stopped or maneuvering. I'd hate to mess with the stock ride I felt on the new RGU.

The reduced reach seat fit's me really well. It's narrow and doesn't press against my billfold at all. The 14 / 15 tour bike seat design was really way to wide. I had cramps in my hips just trying them out.

I think I can get a dealership to slide my seat on the bike for a trial fit and a ride.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:27 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,604 Likes on 5,172 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
I'm using a reduced reach seat on my Classic, which would be nice to try on the Road glide because it may be just the ticket for being able to touch the ground easily when stopped or maneuvering. I'd hate to mess with the stock ride I felt on the new RGU.

The reduced reach seat fit's me really well. It's narrow and doesn't press against my billfold at all. The 14 / 15 tour bike seat design was really way to wide. I had cramps in my hips just trying them out.

I think I can get a dealership to slide my seat on the bike for a trial fit and a ride.
Any good dealer would be happy to. The narrow primary is now standard on Touring bikes starting with 2016. It is about an inch narrower.
2000 miles on the 2016 RGU as of last night very happy with it.
I liked the stock seat and it fit wife prefect, I just needed a bit shaved off the sides to improve footing two up. Local Seat man fixed it right up for me.

Quick Reply: Road Glide Ultra LOW ... maybe