Sponsored by:

New 2015 Ultra Limited - First Contribution Garage Door Opener

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 11:00 PM
akakillroy
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New 2015 Ultra Limited - First Contribution Garage Door Opener

Greetings! This is my first real contribution here. Owned a 1999 Ultra as well as a 2005 VRSCB. Traded both in on a 2015 Ultra Limited - Radioactive Green.
Been doing some mods, including tour pack quick release, customs license plate bracket and now the addition of a garage door opener.
I didn't want to pay the stiff price tag for the HD version that connects to the high beam flasher, with the additional wiring in the garage for the opener. I knew there had to be a better way, and cheeper.
Most all my 4 wheel vehicles had the homelink system, so I did a little research and discovered you can buy these modules on eBay cheep! ($15). So I ordered one up and since I was going to eventually add some other accessories I bought the $80 accessory switch kit to add the additional buttons to the dash.
Next (after figuring out where the wiring harness went, cuddles to DH for making connecting accessories a snap!) I modified the Homelink transmitter with a jumper to permanently press one of the homelink buttons, I then supplied power to the module, erased any codes that may have been in it (they provide you instructions for programing, in your vehicle owners manual, in my case the bay merchant included instruction with my purchase), then proceeded to program the single button. Once programed I disconnected the power and wired the module to the low amp accessory cable. I then modified one the acc switches to act as a momentary push button by removing the tiny actuator held in place with the switch spring, then popped it back in the switch holder. tested and whala! I tucked the harness and stuck the module in a rubber glove to keep it safe from water and done, one of the easiest mods I ever done. See the photos below. if you want any other information just ask!
New 2015 Ultra Limited - First Contribution Garage Door Opener-img_3259.jpg

New 2015 Ultra Limited - First Contribution Garage Door Opener-img_3260.jpg

New 2015 Ultra Limited - First Contribution Garage Door Opener-img_3267.jpg

New 2015 Ultra Limited - First Contribution Garage Door Opener-img_3261.jpg

New 2015 Ultra Limited - First Contribution Garage Door Opener-img_3264.jpg

Old 09-29-2015, 11:03 PM
akakillroy
Advanced

Additional photos
New 2015 Ultra Limited - First Contribution Garage Door Opener-img_3265.jpg

New 2015 Ultra Limited - First Contribution Garage Door Opener-img_3266.jpg

New 2015 Ultra Limited - First Contribution Garage Door Opener-img_3244.jpg

New 2015 Ultra Limited - First Contribution Garage Door Opener-img_3251.jpg

New 2015 Ultra Limited - First Contribution Garage Door Opener-img_3253.jpg

Old 09-30-2015, 09:09 AM
markfsanderson
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks Great! I'm very interested in the detail about converting the accessory switch to a momentary . . .
Thank!
Mark!

Old 09-30-2015, 09:35 AM
J929626
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

To convert the button to momentary (it does not lock on the down position) remove that little clip in shown in the third picture.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:48 AM
caddman
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been looking for a way to do this for years! This is awesome!

Old 09-30-2015, 12:24 PM
akakillroy
Advanced

Yes, just hold the switch (its actually just a slide, the switch is in the housing where the button mounts) holding with your index finger and thumb depress the spring and the turn upside down and the little wire actuator will fall out, then release the spring, your done ;-)

Old 10-01-2015, 12:47 AM
txm8de
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by akakillroy
Greetings! This is my first real contribution here. Owned a 1999 Ultra as well as a 2005 VRSCB. Traded both in on a 2015 Ultra Limited - Radioactive Green.
Been doing some mods, including tour pack quick release, customs license plate bracket and now the addition of a garage door opener.
I didn't want to pay the stiff price tag for the HD version that connects to the high beam flasher, with the additional wiring in the garage for the opener. I knew there had to be a better way, and cheeper.
Most all my 4 wheel vehicles had the homelink system, so I did a little research and discovered you can buy these modules on eBay cheep! ($15). So I ordered one up and since I was going to eventually add some other accessories I bought the $80 accessory switch kit to add the additional buttons to the dash.
Next (after figuring out where the wiring harness went, cuddles to DH for making connecting accessories a snap!) I modified the Homelink transmitter with a jumper to permanently press one of the homelink buttons, I then supplied power to the module, erased any codes that may have been in it (they provide you instructions for programing, in your vehicle owners manual, in my case the bay merchant included instruction with my purchase), then proceeded to program the single button. Once programed I disconnected the power and wired the module to the low amp accessory cable. I then modified one the acc switches to act as a momentary push button by removing the tiny actuator held in place with the switch spring, then popped it back in the switch holder. tested and whala! I tucked the harness and stuck the module in a rubber glove to keep it safe from water and done, one of the easiest mods I ever done. See the photos below. if you want any other information just ask!
Attachment 445423

Attachment 445424

Attachment 445425

Attachment 445426

Attachment 445427
Where did you get your fog light switch?

Old 10-01-2015, 01:26 PM
akakillroy
Advanced

Fog switch, the existing switch was there for the driving lights, all I added was the two AUX switches that came with the kit.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:33 PM
bill_1202
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a great post! Thanks!

Old 10-01-2015, 07:46 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts
Default Bam!

Take out the foam in the cubby, get some industrial velcro tape, use regular garage door opener. I have had this for over a year with no issues. Cost, $0.15.

Velcro tape a garage door opener inside the cubby.

Quick Reply: New 2015 Ultra Limited - First Contribution Garage Door Opener