2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a dumb question about performance,,don't get mad:)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 07:35 PM
Mexican
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a dumb question about performance,,don't get mad:)

The Harley motorcycle is a very expensive toy, yet it is the most under powered bike out there, even Harley is embarrased to mention HP ratings, Harleys will never be race bikes unless you put tons of money in motor upgrades, with that being said the question is:
What makes guys do it?
Why some people throw 5k on a Harley to bearly get 100hp when you can buy a different brand with way over 100hp?, Triumph Rocket3 comes to mind, 140hp and 150lbs of torque, Yamaha Vmax? and a few others?
Am i the only one with 100% stock Harley and with full intention to leave it like that?
when i wanna enjoy the ride i ride my Harley, when i wanna go fast i ride the Rocket, when i feel girly i ride the wife's Can Am Spyder

Old 10-01-2015, 07:52 PM
wenterkin
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No, you're not the only one keeping it stock. High horsepower bikes have never interested me. This is my first Harley after a lifetime of Hondas, and it has all the power I'm interested in. My philosophy is; vehicle designers who know much more than I ever will about engineering design engines to certain specifications for a reason. If I go monkeying around adding performance upgrades, reprogramming engine control computers, and replacing engine parts, I run the risk of compromised reliability and service life. I read post after post of problems people have with their bikes after tinkering. I just want to enjoy a comfortable ride without fear of breakdown. If mods are your thing, more power to you. Everyone needs a hobby to help keep excess cash under control. As for me; I'll just shovel my excess funds into my boat or flying. Can't take it with you.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:54 PM
nightrain116
Cruiser

As the old saying goes....... If you have to "ask" why, you will never understand. I say you stick with your "girly" can am or your "rocket".

Old 10-01-2015, 07:55 PM
Lobo45
Cruiser

Rider preference, some like to just spend allot of money. Some like it the way it is, man I love the great USA "Freedom"

Old 10-01-2015, 08:00 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,785 Likes on 9,863 Posts

I can never leave anything stock. Even if just slightly modded. I put about $1500 into my engine to get to about 100 HP.

Harley doesn't advertise HP numbers for another reason. Insurance. The bigger the number, the bigger the bill.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:04 PM
wenterkin
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lobo45
Rider preference, some like to just spend allot of money. Some like it the way it is, man I love the great USA "Freedom"

Old 10-01-2015, 08:06 PM
polbit
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Mexican
The Harley motorcycle is a very expensive toy, yet it is the most under powered bike out there, even Harley is embarrased to mention HP ratings, Harleys will never be race bikes unless you put tons of money in motor upgrades, with that being said the question is:
What makes guys do it?
Why some people throw 5k on a Harley to bearly get 100hp when you can buy a different brand with way over 100hp?, Triumph Rocket3 comes to mind, 140hp and 150lbs of torque, Yamaha Vmax? and a few others?
Am i the only one with 100% stock Harley and with full intention to leave it like that?
when i wanna enjoy the ride i ride my Harley, when i wanna go fast i ride the Rocket, when i feel girly i ride the wife's Can Am Spyder
What is it about people's need to justify their choices by putting down others? There's this word, maybe you've heard it - Freedom. It allows people to do whatever da @#$% they want with whatever bike they choose.

What a worthless post.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:43 PM
Mexican
Cruiser

Originally Posted by polbit
What is it about people's need to justify their choices by putting down others? There's this word, maybe you've heard it - Freedom. It allows people to do whatever da @#$% they want with whatever bike they choose.

What a worthless post.
That was just a question, nothing to get mad about, i don't think i put down anybody,,,or show me where i did,,

Old 10-01-2015, 08:44 PM
Mexican
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wenterkin
No, you're not the only one keeping it stock. High horsepower bikes have never interested me. This is my first Harley after a lifetime of Hondas, and it has all the power I'm interested in. My philosophy is; vehicle designers who know much more than I ever will about engineering design engines to certain specifications for a reason. If I go monkeying around adding performance upgrades, reprogramming engine control computers, and replacing engine parts, I run the risk of compromised reliability and service life. I read post after post of problems people have with their bikes after tinkering. I just want to enjoy a comfortable ride without fear of breakdown. If mods are your thing, more power to you. Everyone needs a hobby to help keep excess cash under control. As for me; I'll just shovel my excess funds into my boat or flying. Can't take it with you.
Agree with you 100%,

Old 10-01-2015, 08:46 PM
Mexican
Cruiser

Originally Posted by QC
I can never leave anything stock. Even if just slightly modded. I put about $1500 into my engine to get to about 100 HP.

Harley doesn't advertise HP numbers for another reason. Insurance. The bigger the number, the bigger the bill.
That makes sense, never tought about that

Quick Reply: Just a dumb question about performance,,don't get mad:)