Sponsored by:

Harley Wobble - On Video

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 10:31 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Harley Wobble - On Video

Below is a video of a wobble I get on my 15. In the video, you can see a wobble start during a left sweeper but it's mild and then, really get going on a right sweeper. The video does not do the seriousness of wobble justice as can be seen in the right sweeper. You can see that I was fighting the wobble and the lean so much so that I was being forced to the outside of the lane. Some of this was me trying to slow the bike down a little as well as straighten it up as leaning just got the back end really bucking hard. I can tell you though that from past experience on this turn, if I would have held my lane, it would have tossed me from my bike. I can reproduce this at speeds from 85 and up.

2015 CVO Limited with 29,400 miles
Pro Action 13" rear shocks
The rear tire is oem and has about 5k miles on it.
The front tire is oem and has about 7500K on it.
I have ridden for 35 years all the way from 5hp mopeds, dirt bikes, street bikes, track bikes and cruiser.

This is on a toll road where the posted speed limit is 75 and you will get run over if not doing 85.

My point is not to ask how to fix it as there are different trains of thought on this. It is more to tell you all that the wobble is still present. I am thinking about having my wife follow me with a GoPro recording to capture it from behind.

Ignore the date stamp, it's wrong.... My C3 dash cam seems to reset the date every now and again.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:53 PM
KMC1
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Dang dude.... Cutting things a little close on that right hand turn ain't ya?

I couldn't really see the wobble, but if you're moving off your line by a lane plus with that little lean angle, I'd take it to the shop and check head bearing, swing arm play, etc. I ride my Limited pretty hard and don't get anywhere near that much off my lines even when I'm hauling the mail.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:54 PM
FlyingSkeet
Road Captain
Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Yea I see all those guys about to run you over, its so dangerous out there. Better get a Victory.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:54 PM
rcrankin
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

FinalShot, I'm experiencing the same. Feels like a low rear tire. I asked the service writer of a dealer if other 2014/15 touring riders have reported anything. Naturally, it was a 'no'. Guess we will see what develops.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:06 PM
5speedblu
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

called the " Death Wobble" there is a mount that goes on the front of the top jug to the frame that stiffens up the wobble

Old 10-05-2015, 11:07 PM
Ray on the drums
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,134 Likes on 512 Posts

Call me a candyass but I'd prolly slow down till I figured it out.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:24 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KMC1
Dang dude.... Cutting things a little close on that right hand turn ain't ya?
yes, I was, I had planned to use the whole left lane, just not the rumble strip. It was very strange during this.

Originally Posted by FlyingSkeet
Yea I see all those guys about to run you over, its so dangerous out there. Better get a Victory.
WTF are you talking about? Glad you can figure this out in 45 seconds of video. Go crawl back under your moped and leave me alone. Who said anything about a Victory or any other bike! Move on and go bother someone else.

Originally Posted by 5speedblu
called the " Death Wobble" there is a mount that goes on the front of the top jug to the frame that stiffens up the wobble
I think those have been standard on touring for some time.

Originally Posted by Ray on the drums
Call me a candyass but I'd prolly slow down till I figured it out.
Nope, not at all. Pretty sound advice.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:42 PM
riderideride
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, my '14 SGS I can duplicate it too. Slight acceleration during sweeping turn, the rear will weave. Anyone that hasn't experienced it, probably good idea to try to make it occur where safe. Better for it to happen the first time when ready, rather than be surprised on an unfamiliar, twisty mountain road.

Now that I'm familiar with the characteristic, I instinctively avoid it. Any bike will wobble(front) or weave(rear) under the right circumstances.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:07 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingSkeet
Hey Newbie, Final Shot is a well respected member of this Forum who has helped MANY people with his knowledge of the Infotainment system. He has even taken the time to make and post a video on the workings of the 6.5...maybe back off a little with the wise **** comments, totally unnecessary! And you never know when you might need a little help with whatever you ride.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:10 AM
dabimf
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are many factors that can cause the wobble at high speed. The police bike I used to ride at work had a bad wobble at high speed.
Try increasing your tire pressure a tad since you are traveling at high speed. Also, pump up your air pressure in your rear shocks as if you had a passenger on the back. This will place more load on the front wheel and stiffen up the back as to stabilize the rear end.
The touring bikes have rubber mounted engines unlike the softails that are mounted to the frames. When you are in a curve the longitudinal forces cause the frame to flex on the touring bikes. Not so much on the softails because the engine mounted to the frame helps stiffen the frame.
There are a few companies out there that make attachments to the bottoms of the touring bike frames that help stiffen it up to cut down on frame flex. I don't know if they make the attachments for the Rushmore models. Harley has done some modifications to the touring bikes starting in 09 that helped with the frame flex like placing larger diameter forks and adding another frame mount but since the bikes are so heavy it is hard to rid the flex all together.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by dabimf; 10-06-2015 at 07:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Harley Wobble - On Video