Sponsored by:

Target tune- Why did I wait?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 12:38 PM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Target tune- Why did I wait?

Finally added target tune. After getting updated on my power vision, software, and getting my tune file covered to TT capable, I installed the kit into my 2014 street glide special. Followed instruction sheet, straight forward install. Loaded the updated tune file and fired the bike up. Immediately sounded and idled better. More crisp than before. Set up live channels on the PV to see the set AFR as lambda, and also set up front and rear lambda actual. The system just simply works! The bike runs so much better in all areas, but especially pulls hard to red line even better. I did run a auto tune to dial in the VE tables, mainly because I could with wide bands, and also I like the VE cells to be as accurate as possible. BUT, with target tune, the bike runs to the AFR table values, so VE tables need not be optimized. That's the beauty of target tune. The only down side is I can't stay out the throttle! The up side is that I just put a new back tire on last month. A must have for those who want their bike to run like it should!

I used a 2009 head pipe. No cat, and has the 18mm oxygen sensor bungs.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:48 PM
J_Bob
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear. The Fuel Moto folks gave me a pitch a few weeks back, so I'm considering the TT for a winter upgrade. Doesn't seem to be much of a downside, unless you're running a heavily modified setup.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:35 PM
jjkrueg
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll be following this closely as I'm intrigued by the idea but not sure of the advantages. I'm running a 2014 twin cooled, fuel moto head pipes, & auto tuned with the "pro" version so the upgrade seems easy. My bike runs great now after a series of auto tunes so I'm not sure what there is to gain?

Old 10-14-2015, 06:29 AM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by jjkrueg
I'll be following this closely as I'm intrigued by the idea but not sure of the advantages. I'm running a 2014 twin cooled, fuel moto head pipes, & auto tuned with the "pro" version so the upgrade seems easy. My bike runs great now after a series of auto tunes so I'm not sure what there is to gain?
I have a buddy with the same set up, except air cooled. He stepped up from auto tune pro to target tune with changing the module, and noticed an improvement over the auto pro tune set up. The target tune is crisper I his words. His feedback helped me solidify my decision, and I'm glad I did. It's not much for you component wise.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:37 PM
Echo6 Sierra
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by J_Bob
Good to hear. The Fuel Moto folks gave me a pitch a few weeks back, so I'm considering the TT for a winter upgrade. Doesn't seem to be much of a downside, unless you're running a heavily modified setup.
Excuse my ignorance, as I am new to the touring forum and my 2015 SGS is still in bone stock form, but I was under the impression that the auto tune is for stage I bikes and the target tune option is a good upgrade to the PV when you step up to stage II/III territory.

I had planned on putting a stage I on as soon as I bought the bike but quickly learned there were a lot of options out there and I don't want to make a hasty purchase. I plan on keeping this bike for a while and would like to build the motor eventually.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:36 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I was/am ready to go the Target Tune route, but to tell the truth, Jamie has my tune dead nuts to my bike. Could it be better? Well, it always can be better, but the bike runs so dam well I hate to fu*k with it.........Know what I mean

The following users liked this post:
dave the welder (11-25-2018)
Old 10-14-2015, 10:30 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Is it my imagination but does it seem technology is slowly making expensive, hardware stressing dyno tuning less and less needed.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:10 AM
TOUCHNGO
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PowerVison and TT added

I added a PowerVision and TargetTune to my 2015 Ultra yesterday. Used a K&N air filter under the stock cover, 2009 head pipe, and SE Fat Shotz mufflers. The entire exhaust system was from my previous 2009 FLHTC that I had put true-duals on.

Took me, myself, and I about 3.5 hours to switch over the pipes and install the PowerVision and TT, much of it sitting or laying on cold concrete, but it was worth it. Haven't gotten a chance to ride it yet, but it sounds about 1000 times better and the throttle is MUCH more responsive.

Didn't have money for a new head pipe and TargetTune, so I had to decide between one or the other. From talking to Fuel Moto, they said I'd be better off going with my 09 head pipe and TT vs. a new Jackpot head pipe without TT. The Jackpot head pipe I was considering cost more than the TT, so I assume they were being 100% honest with me, as they would have made more money on the head pipe if they were only concerned about sales. They told me unless I had a lot of other mods, then there isn't much difference, performance-wise, between the 09 head pipe and a Jackpot or similar.

Now I just need the snow and ice off the road so I can take this thing for a ride!

Old 12-31-2016, 11:07 AM
bigrobtemp
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Your going to love it. I actually bought the TT from Rob who started this thread. Great guy and i used Vance and Hines power duels and RCX slip on's. Bike runs better and sounds great. It wont pull the tire but it will make the front end pretty light.

Old 12-31-2016, 12:43 PM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 269 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by DeneFXDWG
Is it my imagination but does it seem technology is slowly making expensive, hardware stressing dyno tuning less and less needed.
Imagination. LOL

Quick Reply: Target tune- Why did I wait?