Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel-Moto Stage 1 install 2016 FLTRU

Old 12-27-2015, 07:21 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Fuel-Moto Stage 1 install 2016 FLTRU

Made the decision to install a Stage One System on my 2016 Road Glide Ultra. I Order the following components from Fuel Moto:

1. Fuel Moto Stainless Steel Ceramic Coated Head Pipe.
2. Head Pipe Cylinder Head Gaskets (2)
3. Fuel Moto E-Series Mufflers
4. Fuel Moto Stage One Air Intake
5. Power Vision Tuner with the map for my bike and these mods preload.

To Start this install I reviewed the Fuel Moto header install video several times and felt I was very comfortable with the steps shown in the video.

First thing I did was mount the Power Vision to the right handle bar and run the cable to the service connection under the left side cover. Since I don't plan to leave the Power Vision on the bike but am going to run a few auto tune sessions and check the economy of the set up I ran the wire under the console so everything could easily be remove. Not connected to the service port at this time.

Removed the heat shields, stock mufflers and head pipe. I chose to remove the factory tapered cylinder head gaskets and replace them with the Fuel Moto conical gaskets. This was discussed at about 4:00 minutes into the video but no specific recommendation was made to which gasket to use.

This is where I started to run into issues. I install the flat gasket, fitted up the pipe and torqued the nuts to 99 inch pounds.

In the video covering this part of the install at about 10:40 into the video (Jamie) shows checking the location of the pipe the and shows some movement of the pipe fore and aft and in and out.

Mine was rock solid, NO MOVEMENT in any direction Plus it was all the way in on the trans mount and clearances were an issue at the timing cover. So, I decided to halt the install and wait to make a call to Fuel Moto for some tech advise. I Called FM the next day and discussed the issue. The result of the conversation was to loosen the exhaust manifold nuts, position the pipe where needed and re-torque. I also asked if reusing the flat exhaust manifold gaskets would be a issue and was told that it would not be.

One little note here, This is an Ultra and it is a twin cool which means pretty much anything on the front cylinder is done by feel. You can not get in a position were you can see anything on the front cylinder due to the lower fairing.

I completed the install of the pipes and mufflers and reinstalled the heat shields. The Heat Shield were a PITA.

Installed the new air intake, Easy as Pie. Completed the install of the Power Vision and it's down load.

Fired the bike up and let everything heat up and re-tightened all the muffler clamps. Let it cool and checked everything.

Started it again let it warn up and revved it a few time and while the engine was ramping down I got a pop or back fire. this told me I had a leak. I put my ear near the front cylinder and sure enough I could hear a Piff Piff Piff from around the front pipe.

So, It's time for another call to Fuel Moto and see how to proceed. I could try to tighten the cylinder flange bolts but I know I would be exceeding the 99 inch pounds specified. I may have be better off to go with the tapered gaskets in the first place. But that's water under the bridge.

Not looking forward to tearing it all back down. But, by the time it's all said and done I will be an expert on the exhaust system.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:07 PM
timbo141
Road Warrior
Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

When I did mine I just left the stock gaskets in and didn't have an issue.
Did you follow the torque sequence of the head pipe? (it is in the service manual)
Also don't re torque nuts until they completely cool.
There is some good threads on this matter on here, just do a search to find them. Lots of good info.
On reinstalling the cross over I put some copper sealant on the gasket before reinstalling it. Worked great as well.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:23 AM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

I'd guess the bend on the head pipe is off. How much? Who knows, but if there are fit-up issues that's pretty much all it can be...

With all the best intentions, lots of aftermarket is not up to OEM standards and it's not unusual for non-OEM to have more issues than stock. Just the way it is.

With all due respect to FuelMoto, if the pipe does not fit the bike when secured to the head, the bend is off, and if you mount it to the bike and torque it to the head...imagine the stress on the head and studs. You are just forcing the jacked up pipe to fit the bike. Not good at all.

If you think you have problems now, try dealing with a broken or snapped off exhaust stud.

I've hotrod'd dang near everything I've owned, and got use to aftermarket stuff just not being what I'd hoped. Now I just avoid the headache and leave it stock.

This does nothing for your problem and I'm sure you'll get it worked out, it's just a shame the aftermarket makers don't hold themselves to a higher standard...

Just say'n

Old 12-28-2015, 09:33 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

If you have a slight leak at the port after initial install the first thing I would do is loosen the flange nuts on that cylinder, then re-torque them in sequence. The twin cooled front flange leaves little room to work with due to the coolant lines but everything needs to fit square, especially when using the spiral wound gaskets. If you need any assistance please contact us at 920-423-3309 and we will walk you thru it no problem.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 12-28-2015, 05:09 PM
UnaHarlista
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Tex ...
Outside of the mufflers, I have the same setup, but haven't gotten around to installing yet.
How did you make out with your exhaust leak correction?

Originally Posted by timbo141
When I did mine I just left the stock gaskets in and didn't have an issue
When I first placed my order, FM told me that it would be fine to use the stock exhaust gaskets, but I went ahead and got the FM conical ones anyway.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:48 PM
Rumblin
Supporter
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I used the same setup only not the ceramic version. Only had about 500 miles on the stock gasket so I didn't disturb it. No leaks, but the front cylinder pipe did not pull up evenly. There was more thread on the lower nut than the upper. So far so good. Working great!