Sponsored by:

heated clothing

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 12:35 PM
benson1603
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heated clothing

i need some advice about heated clothing. i've never used any but i think i'd like to start. are they all powered through the trickle charge fitting or is a separate fitting needed? and any recommendations about brands. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:18 PM
Chinashop bull
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Check out Venture Heat. I have their jacket liner, pants liners, and inner soles. Best part is they have a built in temp controller and they also have a remote control. I've had mine for nearly 2 years now and works a treat.

They all come with a coax connected which is connected direct to the battery. This is the best option as there is no need to unplug when stepping off your bike - just walk away. You can also use a cig lighter to coax adaptor, or battery tender to coax adaptor.

The jacket pugs into the bike and the pants plug into the jacket.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:41 PM
thealien
Road Captain
Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

IMHO the coax connector that attaches to your battery for most heated clothing is heavier gauge than the battery tender harnesses. Now I wire the coax harness to the battery and use an adapter for the battery tender. I've had great luck with Gerbing but my stuff is 8-10 years old. I've heard they may not be as good as they once were? Also check out Aerostich.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:45 PM
BILLL1121
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I've had Gerbings for years.. They are now Gordons heated clothing.. Same owner.. You can't do any better. lifetime warranty

Last edited by BILLL1121; 01-25-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:50 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 601 Likes on 324 Posts

Gerbings for me and the wife has the Harley heated gear,which may be one and the same. Good stuff ..

Old 01-25-2016, 02:15 PM
rv7garage
Road Master
Received 198 Likes on 157 Posts

Another recommendation for Gordon's Heated Clothing. I have a pair of their deerskin heated gloves with gauntlets, man they are awesome. 100% made in USA!

I tried a pair of "Gyde by Gerbing" made in China G4 gloves and was underwhelmed. Didn't get very hot.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:38 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,289 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by benson1603
i need some advice about heated clothing. i've never used any but i think i'd like to start. are they all powered through the trickle charge fitting or is a separate fitting needed? and any recommendations about brands. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Watch the video on this link:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/g...e-to-sae-cable

And here is Gordon Gerbing's site:

http://gordonsheated.com/

Stay warm!

Old 01-26-2016, 11:54 AM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 2,055 Posts

I've had a heated vest and I presently use a Gerbings heated jacket liner. The jacket liner is far the best choice. On my BMW R1200rt I had it connected directly to the battery and the plug sitting by my seat.
My Gerbings is well made and I recommend it. I would also purchase the dual controller in case you want to add heated gloves or pant liners.

Patiently waiting for my 2016 LTD to arrive in Feb.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:05 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

*I* recommend going with a jacket liner. Odds are, you already own a decent riding jacket. Get the jacket and not a vest. The jacket arm sleeves are wired for gloves which plug directly into the jacket sleeves. Easy.

I have 2 controllers - each a dual controller. One I clip to the jacket to control jacket/glove temps and the other is wireless (my favorite) and I leave the control box near the handlebars.

I *thought* that would be enough, but it wasn't. I bought the overpants (not liners) and couldn't be happier. Start on a cold morning, arrive destination, slide overpants off in front of people, and carry on.

All of our crap is Gerbing and wifey is decked out from neck to toe also.
(she has the full heated jacket which is why I know I like the liner better)

Old 01-27-2016, 10:43 AM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by benson1603
Normally you would want to use the pig tail that most if not all brands include with their heated gear, the pig tail should come with a in-line fuse.

Personal preference, but I like warm and safe/ first gear. Economical and works great, the liner heats up in the neck area as well. No problems in two three seasons.

I like the wireless troller (dual wirless troller) I have one plug for my liner, no other cords hanging. Separate temp control for my gloves and liner.

Last edited by TcHunter; 01-27-2016 at 10:46 AM.

Quick Reply: heated clothing