Sponsored by:

New Castle HD wouldn't sell me parts online

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 02:14 PM
skibum0607
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Castle HD wouldn't sell me parts online

So most of the time I get all my HD parts from a dealer that is "somewhat local" to me (30 miles). The dealer that is actually closest to me (10 miles) doesn't carry much of a parts inventory and never has what I want, so I typically drive to the dealer where I bought both my bikes because they give me a 10% discount. Well since I'm working on some winter upgrades and had quite a few parts I was ordering I planned to order from New Castle HD because they offer 20% for online orders and are still in my "somewhat local" area (50 miles). I like to buy local if possible, or at least in my somewhat local area.

So I place my order with New Castle HD and got the email that my order was confirmed. However, the following day I get a mail from the someone there that they would not be able to fulfill my order and would refund my money because they had "voluntarily decided not to sell to customers within other local dealers' territory in western PA". When I questioned this I was told that their owner has an agreement with the other dealers in the territory and that the other dealers put pressure on the MoCo, which could shut them down.

While I respect their right to sell however they want, this just seems so asinine and idiotic that I had to ask if anyone else here has had a similar experience.

First of all, I guarantee that these guys wouldn't decline selling to me if I was in their dealership to buy a motorcycle just because I live in another dealer's area. Dealers in any given territory compete against each other all the time. Secondly, these other dealers are free to sell online and/or discount like New Castle does, so if they choose not to why should the consumer be penalized? Thirdly, it's stupid to think that a guy who is buying parts online and isn't just going to go to one of the several other online dealers that give the same or similar discounts, in which case none of those dealers in that territory will get the business.

Anyway, I just went to Boardtracker and got the same parts for roughly the same price as New Castle, but I also got free shipping. So in the end it cost me less. I was just trying to buy local and support my local dealerships. I like to be a loyal customer hoping that loyalty is going to be returned, but I'm also not going to give my hard earned money away either. Unfortunately they don't seem to be smart enough business people to realize they're just hurting themselves.

Sorry for the rambling. Off my soapbox now.... Anyone else have a similar experience with an online HD dealer?

Last edited by skibum0607; 01-28-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:36 PM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

The franchisee likely has a territorial boundary agreement and if another franchisee is shipping into their area it would be a violation of the first franchisee's license agreement with the master franchisor. It's not that they aren't smart business operators, they are actual very smart because the master franchisor could yank their franchise license depending on the agreements in place. New Castle get's enough business from other territories where it isn't bound by a non compete mail order agreement. I'm sure they aren't hurting.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:39 PM
whocares
Road Warrior
Received 432 Likes on 218 Posts

Boardtracker hd,all the parts you'll need and 20% off.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:07 PM
skibum0607
Cruiser

Originally Posted by whocares
Boardtracker hd,all the parts you'll need and 20% off.
That's my go to dealer for online parts now, but I'll still give my local dealer most of my business unless the difference in cost is just too much to give up.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:15 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Alls well that ends well or something like that,Glad you got your parts.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:23 PM
Eccool
Advanced
Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't blame New Castle, sounds like Harley is the culprit.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:42 PM
skibum0607
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Eccool
Don't blame New Castle, sounds like Harley is the culprit.
No I don't blame New Castle. It is definitely the MoCo that doesn't get it, if bettingpython is correct about the franchise agreements... which I believe he is. Why a protect dealer's territory on certain types of sales but not others? They just created an environment where neither dealer in the territory ends up getting the business.

In the end I got my parts at the price I wanted, so I don't really care that much. It would just be nice if the MoCo would let the consumer decide where they shopped based on a dealers ability to win your business with the best price and best service.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:01 PM
Beaux
Road Warrior
Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

I live 40 miles from New Castle HD and although "some" online prices are cheaper than Boardtracker or Surdyke, shipping and tax always takes them out of the running so I've never ordered from New Castle.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:19 PM
AngelAir
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Boardtracker Harley has better pricing than New Castle HD, at least the items I compared.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:25 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Living in Pa wouldn't you got hit with state sales tax anyway?

Quick Reply: New Castle HD wouldn't sell me parts online