Rushmore neck bearing adjust

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 08:02 AM
Ron Mangus
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rushmore neck bearing adjust

I know this has been discussed a lot,
but has anyone tightened the neck bearings themselves (not the dealer)
I have the service manual, but it's not real clear.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:50 PM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine on my 2014 ultra while doing chrome front end and bars. Pretty straight forward, set the tourque on bearing and it was right on you will need to remove outer fairing, passing lights and the passing light studs. Then left inner fairing and tilt forward. Raise front wheel off the ground and loosen upper nut so that lower bearing is exposed and back it with grease.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:54 PM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry if not greasing you do all of what I mentioned except dropping stem to lube brg. A 1/4 inch extention is inverted in the stem from below to tighten brg after top nut is loosened

Old 02-29-2016, 01:52 PM
nchogfan
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I started getting a wobble on my 2014 a few months back. I adjusted mine myself and went just a little tighter than it says. I did the same thing to my '07. The Rushmore instructions are a bit confusing at first. I thought if I turn my wrench to the left that I would be loosening it but once you realize that you are actually turning the top half of the stem from underneath, it makes sense. Get the front tire off the ground. Pull off the front fairing (spots and turn signals too) and loosen the pinch clamp on the top (I had to shorten an Allen wrench slightly to get it in there). Then just use your 1/4" drive from the bottom and turn it like the manual says. Tighten the pinch clamp back and put the fairing and lights back on.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:58 PM
GaJayhawk
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

I had some wobble in the front end of my '14 FLHTK. I had my dealer check the neck bearings, expecting them to be defective or tightened out of spec. All was normal with them. As it turned out, the bolts through the bottom of the top triple-tree that secure the handlebar risers to the triple tree were not properly tightened. It wasn't the bolts holding the handlebars in place in the risers from the top, rather the bolts that hold the risers to the triple tree from the bottom. The bolt heads are easy to get to...turn the handlebars to one side and look up at the bottom of the top triple tree. Then turn the bars the other way and check the other side.

After tightening them to spec, the problem was solved.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:21 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by nchogfan
I started getting a wobble on my 2014 a few months back. I adjusted mine myself and went just a little tighter than it says. I did the same thing to my '07. The Rushmore instructions are a bit confusing at first. I thought if I turn my wrench to the left that I would be loosening it but once you realize that you are actually turning the top half of the stem from underneath, it makes sense. Get the front tire off the ground. Pull off the front fairing (spots and turn signals too) and loosen the pinch clamp on the top (I had to shorten an Allen wrench slightly to get it in there). Then just use your 1/4" drive from the bottom and turn it like the manual says. Tighten the pinch clamp back and put the fairing and lights back on.

I did the same thing not knowing it's reverse but I didn't button everything back took for a ride noticed right away too loose then re tighten too tight backed off a little perfect. Direction for swing back are really not that helpful to eliminate the wobble. Road test the only way I could make it where I want it to be.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:22 PM
penmaker
Road Master
Received 441 Likes on 220 Posts

To bad they don't still have the ride control **** like the old ones did. Our '64 Servi-car has a **** on top of the stem that you can tighten or loosen by hand.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:49 PM
lnelson
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nchogfan
Was the wobble you felt around 35-45 mph or was it higher?

Old 03-10-2016, 12:58 PM
nchogfan
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lnelson
Was the wobble you felt around 35-45 mph or was it higher?

I'm not sure what speed I was traveling but it was below 55. I had slowed down into a 45 zone, set my cruise control and took my hands off the bars to put them in my lap. My hands were cold. The wobble started so I grabbed the bars again. My '07 did the same thing.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:50 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Mine does this at 40 or so pretty bad, called my dealer and ask if it was covered under warranty and as usual, it should have been adjusted at your 1000 mile service.